TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Will Six Flags expand with parks in America?

Just wondering I was just a little curious to know if in the near future we will see more Six Flags parks in the United States..not to be confused with other Six Flags Parks around the world but just in the U.S..will we see more parks or not? I am ashamed that they took away Six Flags Worlds of Adventure or Six Flags Ohio in Aurora..it was a beautiful park to go along with Sea World of Ohio ya know . Quite disappointing.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Freestyle Music Park's President described the U.S. as a saturated market when it comes to theme parks. That was just his opinion, but that may be the way a lot of companies feel. Not to mention the bankruptcy issues other have pointed out. If you're in the Aurora Ohio part of the country, you're best bet for a new park is that West Virginia Wild Escape Park if it ever gets going. It's supposed to be built in Northern WV, in Wheeling I think.

The problem with building a theme park from the ground up is that these days, people expect 10+ coasters in every park, which just isn't practical for a new park. Back when Six Flags built parks from the ground up, you could build a mine train, log flume, carousel, a few more flats and stores, and people would be happy. Most companies can't afford spending $500 Million+ on a new theme park. It's just too hard to recover the investment.

I personally doubt it----

In fact, I can see some of the smaller Six Flags around no longer carrying the S.F. stamp in the years to come . . .

I think Six Flags Over/Texas, Over/Georgia, St. Louis, Great America, Magic Mountain, and New Jersey will be around a Long Long Time, but the others . . . I am not saying they won't exist as a theme park, but as a 6F property, I have my doubts. . .

I don't mean to be pessimistic . .

I personally doubt it----

In fact, I can see some of the smaller Six Flags around no longer carrying the S.F. stamp in the years to come . . .

I think Six Flags Over/Texas, Over/Georgia, St. Louis, Great America, Magic Mountain, and New Jersey will be around a Long Long Time, but the others . . . I am not saying they won't exist as a theme park, but as a 6F property, I have my doubts. . .

I don't mean to be pessimistic . .

I think you are right.

Just like it happened some years ago with Darien Lake and Elitch Gardens.

SF has to sell some parks to stay healthy.

I think they must sell the smaller and less profitable parks, like Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom, Six Flags America, and some other parks that still don't have the SF name, like American Adventures and Great Escape.

But what could happen in the future with the SF parks outside the USA,

La Ronde, SF Mexico and Dubailand??

I doubt we'll see any new properties acquired by SF. If anything they could stand to shed a few parks (I'm looking at you, SFA and SFKK).

Why does everyone think SFA should go? I found it to be a very nice park, and it's in a very large Metropolitan area. With a little more investment and advertising, they could be the dominant over King's Dominion.

To add onto the thought of SF losing dead weight with smaller parks, I totally agree. It seems like Six Flags is trying to go in the direction that [Disney] is going perhaps. Fewer parks spread out with bigger, better attractions. If this turns into reality, I would expect to see:

Magic Mountain in the West

Over Texas in the Southwest

Over Georgia in the Southeast

Great Adventure in the Northeast

St. Louis in Mid-America

They would become more of destination park rather than regional parks, and probably offer resorts. This is totally speculation, of course

I doubt we'll see any new properties acquired by SF. If anything they could stand to shed a few parks (I'm looking at you, SFA and SFKK).

Why does everyone think SFA should go? I found it to be a very nice park, and it's in a very large Metropolitan area. With a little more investment and advertising, they could be the dominant over King's Dominion.

SFI hasn't done any bit of real good with the place for nearly a decade & what with KD's new giga set to debut next season the writing's on the wall as far as competion is concerned....I mean SFI wouldn't even give the park something inexpensive as a THBS clone when they really needed it so why would they start now?

I think they must sell the smaller and less profitable parks, like Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom, Six Flags America, and some other parks that still don't have the SF name, like American Adventures and Great Escape.

1. American Adventures has already been leased to to Zuma and is no longer operated by Six Flags.

2. Who says SFKK isn't profitable? It's low operating costs coupled with reliable attendance makes for high profit margins.

As long as an asset/park is profitable Six Flags needs to keep it. Their new business strategy is founded upon corporate alliances. SF attracts these alliances by having such a big audience in all parts of the country.

To answer the original question of the thread, I think SF should start opening indoor FEC versions of Thomas Town.

They could do this inside shopping malls of western cities such as Denver, Seattle and Phoenix. It would be a small investment with small operating costs making for a good way to have year round advertising space in the Western U.S.

To add onto the thought of SF losing dead weight with smaller parks, I totally agree. It seems like Six Flags is trying to go in the direction that [Disney] is going perhaps. Fewer parks spread out with bigger, better attractions. If this turns into reality, I would expect to see:

Magic Mountain in the West

Over Texas in the Southwest

Over Georgia in the Southeast

Great Adventure in the Northeast

St. Louis in Mid-America

They would become more of destination park rather than regional parks, and probably offer resorts. This is totally speculation, of course

I don't think they can do what you think they can for Six Flags Over Texas. They're not in the ideal location and only have so much space they can work with. It'll be a lot harder for them to add on and add on and expand that park compared to something like Magic Mountain.

Why does everyone think SFA should go? I found it to be a very nice park, and it's in a very large Metropolitan area. With a little more investment and advertising and non-apathetic staff and a full time police force, they could be the dominant over King's Dominion.

Fix'd.

Six Flags did just fine when they had a few well placed parks in various metropolitan areas. They got into trouble by oversaturating the country, then by trying to TAEK OVR TEH WRLD!1!!! with parks in Europe and Mexico.

Downsizing and keeping their best parks is Six Flags' best bet to remain solvent. Also, keeping major expansions to once every two or three years is a plus. Personally, I was fine with my home park (SFMM) adding a major ride every three years or so. When they starting adding a coaster each and every year, I was actually bored with the idea. You mean there's no other worthwhile attraction besides a coaster?

Nope SFA used to be Wild World then Adventure world, it opend in 82

I'm aware, but if you do a little research you'll see that Six Flags came in and completely scrapped and re-themed the whole park, with totally new themed areas, a new entrance, etc. If you go to SFAfans.com you'll see the concept drawings from when the park opened in '99.