TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Planet Snoopy(s)

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2010 is really shaping up to be the year of the kiddie land.

Five former Paramount Park getting Planet Snoopy's

Busch Gardens Africa getting the Land of the Dragons make over

Six Flags America adding the largest Thomas Town the chain has ever seen....

Someone made a comment about KD and Carowinds shouldn't be getting a Snoopy make over because of the other new for 2010 attraction.

I disagree.

King's Dominion's competitor to the south added Sesame Street this year and that park 80 miles up the interstate is adding Thomas Town as already mentioned above.

Makes perfect sense for them to complete this project for 2010. They'll have the bragging rights next year for adding potentially (and arguably) a world class coaster plus a kiddie land. Not many other parks could make the same claim.

I'm curious what will happen to Scooby-Doo at KI. I just hope Cedar Fair really doesn't destroy that ride.

The most likely story is they'll do what they always do: make it a generic version of its former self. Just a generic shooting dark ride with ghosts.

It's really not that special of a shooter anyway. The guns often don't work that well.

Maybe they'll call it something hilariously generic like "Shooting Dark Ride".

I'd like Phantom Theatre back. That'd be a HUGE plus for the park. But...it's a wish.

I'm curious what will happen to Scooby-Doo at KI. I just hope Cedar Fair really doesn't destroy that ride.

The most likely story is they'll do what they always do: make it a generic version of its former self. Just a generic shooting dark ride with ghosts.

It's really not that special of a shooter anyway. The guns often don't work that well.

Maybe they'll call it something hilariously generic like "Shooting Dark Ride".

I'd like Phantom Theatre back. That'd be a HUGE plus for the park. But...it's a wish.

Same. I don't remember much when it was Enchanted Voyage, but I do remember very good memories from my childhood with that ride. It's a really nice ride to relax on.

I wish that Hanna Barbara Land could have made a comeback at Kings Island.

After I watched ice shows at KI and Carowinds, where they feature an ice-skating Scooby Doo, I kind of assumed they'd be keeping that license, and using Scooby Doo as the mascot of the former Paramount parks. Nickelodeon, we knew, was going to leave the parks at some point (especially after they started working on the Mall of America stuff), but the HB characters could have co-existed with Snoopy, or stood alone in the parks... which I kind of thought would happen.

From the Wiki page for HB, it seems like Warner Bros. absorbed the studio, and Turner owns these franchises. So the HB stuff is all muddled up with different ownerships. I'm sure that's a big factor with Cedar Fair... they clearly want to improve/update the kid's areas in these parks (and they'd have to, with the Nick license expiring). Having the Snoopy license simplifies things, whereas there may be other contract clauses they have to deal with as there are new owners on both sides.

Keep in mind, Warner Bros. does have ties to Six Flags (not that there's much substance there, besides at SF St. Louis and SF Great America). I would imagine that they want a contract to use a franchise exclusively in CF's theme/amusement parks in the US (I know Universal Studios has a license for walk-around Scooby Doo characters, and Six Flags New England has them in the park parade... plus perhaps even the Jellystone/Yogi campgrounds came into play in this, since CF does own a couple campgrounds). But this is all just speculation on my part.

The Scooby dark rides might be safe, yes... but all other use of the other characters might not. I know they're on a different contract, but Cedar Fair might opt-out of all licensing anyway (remember the whole "Top Gun/Italian Job/Drop Zone/Face-Off/Cliffhanger/Star Trek" re-name debacle a couple years ago?).

I wish that Hanna Barbara Land could have made a comeback at Kings Island.

After I watched ice shows at KI and Carowinds, where they feature an ice-skating Scooby Doo, I kind of assumed they'd be keeping that license, and using Scooby Doo as the mascot of the former Paramount parks. Nickelodeon, we knew, was going to leave the parks at some point (especially after they started working on the Mall of America stuff), but the HB characters could have co-existed with Snoopy, or stood alone in the parks... which I kind of thought would happen.

From the Wiki page for HB, it seems like Warner Bros. absorbed the studio, and Turner owns these franchises. So the HB stuff is all muddled up with different ownerships. I'm sure that's a big factor with Cedar Fair... they clearly want to improve/update the kid's areas in these parks (and they'd have to, with the Nick license expiring). Having the Snoopy license simplifies things, whereas there may be other contract clauses they have to deal with as there are new owners on both sides.

Keep in mind, Warner Bros. does have ties to Six Flags (not that there's much substance there, besides at SF St. Louis and SF Great America). I would imagine that they want a contract to use a franchise exclusively in CF's theme/amusement parks in the US (I know Universal Studios has a license for walk-around Scooby Doo characters, and Six Flags New England has them in the park parade... plus perhaps even the Jellystone/Yogi campgrounds came into play in this, since CF does own a couple campgrounds). But this is all just speculation on my part.

All of Hanna Barbera is owned by Time Warner now. Turner is just a part of Warner. Any way this past season during Halloween, Kings island used old H-B characters instead of Nick ones for the whole month. So basically they had George Jetson, Astro, Yogi Bear, Dino, Fred, and Barney.

P.S.

King Dominion still has some Hanna Barbera left in Kidsville.

All of Hanna Barbera is owned by Time Warner now. Turner is just a part of Warner.

I meant new owners of the parks (Cedar Fair) versus newer owners of the Hanna Barbara franchise. As for King's Dominion, yes, it's mostly HB right now. Actually, that area is looking pretty dated these days, and needs a lot of refreshment (Treasure Cave is a shadow of it's former self, and it smelled like cat litter this year when we went through it in late April).

While I miss the HB charaacters..... ( I parked in Astro 5) I will not miss the purple abomination in the back corner. I don't recall anything in the world of peanuts that is Purple. It could go back to the original yellow and be Woodstock's Revenge or something. Or a giant woodstock on top where Avatar sits right now. The long flume could be rethemed to the raft ride in the camp movie...anme escapes me right now. If Scooby has top go completely, how about the Great Pumpkin Patch dark ride?

Hurray, Planet Snoopy is coming to my home park of Kings Dominion!!! I couldn't have been happier (I'm a big fan of Peanuts) by this piece of news.

First, I will help out Xizor_Racer when he asked what was the Peanuts Movie that starred the gang on a camping trip that feature a water rafting race. That movie, in which I've seen a million times, is called "Race for Your Life, Charlie Brown". To see Kings Island transform its former Wild Thornberry River Adventure into the Camp Snoopy River Adventure would be too sweet!!!

Going back to my home park, there will have to be a ton on name changes and theme changes on all of the Kidville rides in order to fit the theme of Planet Snoopy (if that's their plan - I don't know what they are going to do). As for the Action Theater, I'm sure they can find some suitable replacement for the old Spongebob Squarepants (in which I've seen a million times already - didn't he know that customer was allergic to pickels?). I'm positive that Scooby Doo's dark ride will stay for now since it's on a different license and not part of the Nickelodeon Universe and maybe the Roller Ghoster will keep its name, but the old Taxi Jam can be renamed to Woodstock Express. And finally, I'm hoping and praying that Treasure Cave will be renovated and become something way better (if Cedar Fair did that, then I will forever be grateful; I still miss the old Yogi's Cave).

Is it any wonder why I'm renewing my Platinum Pass?

Official Cedar Fair press release here:

http://www.cedarfair.com/ir/press_releases/index.cfm?current_root=15&mode=story&story_id=203

Canada’s Wonderland, near Toronto; Kings Dominion, in Doswell, Va.; Carowinds in Charlotte, NC; Kings Island near Cincinnati, Ohio; and California’s Great America will welcome the lovable PEANUTS characters to their parks in 2010. The PEANUTS characters will be integrated into the parks through rebranding of existing kids’ areas, and in some cases new rides, live shows and attractions.

Notice how Valleyfair is the last major Cedar Fair park to not have Snoopy and the Peanuts. KI's announcement site also still says "Planet Snoopy and the PEANUTS Gang will replace Nickelodeon Universe and Scooby-Doo," which says to me the dark ride's going to be re-themed (unless there's another use of Scooby Doo in the parks besides the ice show I don't know about... sounds pretty final to me, though).

http://www.visitkingsisland.com/events/event_detail.cfm?event_id=650&ec_id=15

img_event_sm_planet_snoopy2(1).jpg.2236e22342d0fa8b168e412c044199a3.jpg

The Logo

• 11 months later...

Looks like Planet Snoopy will be at Dorney in 2011...

SNOOPY CELEBRATES 60th ANNIVERSARY WITH $8 MILLION PRESENT FROM DORNEY

DORNEY PARK, Allentown, PA (August 8, 2010) – Hundreds of kids and their families turned Camp Snoopy at Dorney Park into a festive arena as they helped celebrate the 60th anniversary of Snoopy and the rest of the gang. The festivities were topped off when Dorney Park presented America's favorite beagle with a seven-foot-tall gift box with an $8 million present inside: plans for the Planet SNOOPY kids' theme-park slated to open at Dorney Park in Spring 2011.

Planet SNOOPY is an $8 million concept that will become reality for next Spring. The project will transform the existing Camp Snoopy into a self-contained theme park for kids. The new Planet SNOOPY will encompass nearly three and one-half acres of land centrally located in Dorney Park and is set to feature the largest collections of kids' amusement rides on the East Coast.

One of the gifts presented to Snoopy on Sunday was an aerial rendering of Planet SNOOPY. The illustration shows how seven new rides, an all new PEANUTS™ Showplace amphitheatre, a Snoopy Boutique souvenir store, and a Soda Pop Shop featuring Root Beer Floats combine with nine existing re-themed rides to make an out-of-this-world, kid-fun and family-friendly immersive experience.

The headlining attractions of Planet SNOOPY will be the new 40-foot-tall Flying Ace Balloon Race, the Linus Launcher ride where riders lay face down for their soaring trip, and Snoopy's Sky Ride, an aerial monorail with themed passenger cars. Each of the rides in the Planet SNOOPY universe is designed for kids and parents to be able to ride together. The Planet SNOOPY kids' park will also feature a new family care facility where parents can tend to the needs of infants and toddlers. The facility will be staffed and fully equipped with changing stations, feeding rooms, and play and nap areas.

In recognition of the special position Snoopy and the PEANUTS™ gang hold in America's heart, Planet SNOOPY will also feature extensive scheduled interaction between the kids and Snoopy, Charlie Brown, Lucy, Linus and others of the PEANUTS™ gang. The schedule includes shows in the PEANUTS™ Showplace amphitheatre as well daily meet and greet sessions.

Dorney Park plans to break ground on the project at the end of the upcoming 2010 Halloween HAUNT season. When Planet SNOOPY opens in spring of 2011, admission will be included with any Dorney Park & Wildwater Kingdom 2011 Season Pass or Admission Ticket. Dorney Park & Wildwater Kingdom now offers three great Parks for one low price! The addition of the new attractions brings the Dorney Park & Wildwater Kingdom experience to an incredible fifty-seven rides while Wildwater Kingdom has an additional two-dozen including two-giant wave pools, two lazy rivers, and an astounding twenty-two water slides.

Families can save even more by purchasing their Dorney Park & Wildwater Kingdom 2011 Season Passes when they go on-sale at the Park Season Pass Office on Saturday, September 4th. Early purchasers enjoy the lowest prices available of only $89.99 for Regular and $59.99 for Juniors under 48" tall in shoes. The Season Pass Office will continue to be open for 2011 Pass purchases during all scheduled Park operating hours throughout the fall.

Dorney Park & Wildwater Kingdom is owned and operated by Cedar Fair Entertainment Company, a publicly traded partnership that is listed for trading on The New York Stock Exchange under the symbol “FUN." In addition to Dorney Park& Wildwater Kingdom, Cedar Fair owns and operates ten other amusement parks, six water parks, one indoor water park resort and five hotels. Cedar Fair also operates the Gilroy Gardens Family Theme Park in Gilroy, Calif. under a management contract.

http://www.planetsnoopy.com/dorneypark/

Where did you get 75? The press release clearly says 57:

The addition of the new attractions brings the Dorney Park & Wildwater Kingdom experience to an incredible fifty-seven rides

I read it backwards, my eyes must have been playing tricks on me.

• 2 weeks later...

It's been nearly a year since I posted a reply on this thread, and to see the difference between what I was hoping for and what actually came out during Kings Dominion's 2010 season is amusing. Planet Snoopy changed just a few rides' names in its immediate area and added a bounce house, Kidsville just removed any non-Peanuts characters from its rides, Treasure Cave got a pirate-themed makeover, Boo Hill is just amazing, and that annoying Spongebob Squarepants 3-D movie is still playing at the action theater (oh well, nine out of ten isn't bad considering how much work was needed in this makeover Peanut's takeover).

As much I enjoy riding around in Snoopy's Flying Ace and splashing around Snoopy's Splash Dance (and just viewing Snoopy's Bounce House and Joe Cool's Driving School : I'm just way too old and big for those attractions), I'm pretty sure Kings Dominion would add another ride or move another ride from Kidsville to increase the attraction's count inside Planet Snoopy. I got to ride the Linus Launchers from Kings Island, not to mention the ride description of Snoopy's Sky Ride from Carowinds and King's Island, and I wish that Kings Dominion would add those rides to their own Planet Snoopy.

In Conclusion, it's nice to know that Dorney Park, Worlds of Fun, and Valleyfair (all three parks that I visited last year) will finally get their own Planet Snoopy; and if that's a problem, then I'm sure the world's famous LEGAL BEAGLE would come down and straighten things out!!!

"If you want pleasant dreams of Planet Snoopy, then I'm sure I can help you out on that aspect."