TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Planet Snoopy(s)

Milestones:

Page Five: Official Press Release for all five parks

Original Post:

So I have a bone to pick with TPR's Forum Nerds. I'm slightly tired of seeing "But Nickelodeon is better" and "Kids don't know who Snoopy is" popping up in threads. It's actually pretty irritating for me, because of a few bullet points:

1. Money. Cedar Fair knows how to trim the fat in quite a few places (which is almost enough to make another thread). Paying for Nickelodeon and Hanna-Barbara/Scooby-Doo and Snoopy doesn't make sense, especially when they're trying to manage debt. Snoopy already has a home at most of the Cedar Fair "Legacy Parks" (except Valleyfair, which I'll get to in a minute), so it would be cheaper to re-align the remaining parks with Snoopy and ditch everything else.

2. Nickelodeon has Nickelodeon Universe at the Mall of America, which is competing with Valleyfair. (Ironically, Nick Universe used to named "Knott's Camp Snoopy," and Cedar Fair used to run it). I'm sure, if Cedar Fair decided to replace Snoopy with Nick, this would be a heated issue (and for all we know, maybe the parks would have stuck with Nick if not for the Nick Universe at Mall of America). For the record, the park also does not use the Snoopy characters.

3. Cedar Fair has a history of building ice shows around Snoopy (although they have been modified to use Scooby-Doo in the past few years). If you've ever sat through these shows, you'll notice the similarities between them. Sending these to the former Paramount properties also saves some cost on the development aspect (see also: Halloween haunts, All-Wheels Extreme, Nik Wallenda's tour, etc).

4. Costumed characters are a huge expense, so having a small and stable cast of characters is a good thing. Snoopy, Charlie Brown, Lucy, Linus, and Sally are really the only characters you'd need. Compare that with the cast of costumed characters you'd need for Nick, and the list could easily be two dozen. And in ten years, the list would look very different.

5. Merchandise with Snoopy could be standardized throughout the all the Cedar Fair parks. From a business perspective, this is great because these parks get to buy something that's evergreen (i.e. a television show getting canceled).

6. The character will become the mascot of the park. Whether kids know of Snoopy and the Peanuts or not, it won't matter. I don't think Snoopy is any less relevant than the Looney Tunes, Woody Woodpecker, or Garfield.

Do kids have to know who Mr. Toad is to enjoy his Wild Ride? Do kids have to know who Mr. Rogers is when they visit Idlewild? Similarly, do you have to watch Batman and Robin before riding Mr. Freeze? Or what about Dudley Do-Right before riding Ripsaw Falls? These characters become a part of the park experience, even if you don't know them from other entertainment. Kids know Snoopy's at Cedar Point (or Dorney Park, or Worlds of Fun, or Knott's), and Cedar Fair's all the happier with that.

If Snoopy goes through a rediscovery, a rebirth... (like a live-action movie... it happened to Garfield and Scooby-Doo) then Cedar Fair's ahead of the curve. If not, then at least they have a certified franchise that kid's parents will remember, and hopefully share with their kids.

My last point is, no matter if your kids (or your nephew, or whatever) know about the Peanuts or Snoopy, they will still enjoy the new Planet Snoopy(s). Just because it's not in-your-face Spongebob, or retro Scooby Doo, doesn't mean it won't be a hit with the kids. And as more parks open up to the beagle, the more widespread his fans will become.

As I've said before, I wish they would hold on to the Nick license, because it would have something new to add or remodel every five years or so, but that's not the kind of opportunity Cedar Fair is looking for. And I do see the points of posters who say "I'll miss Nick," don't get me wrong. But there is still a Nick Universe park at Mall of America (and apparently there's more where that came from).[/b]

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Which parks are getting Planet Snoopy? I know KD and Carowinds, but which others?

Also, Cedar Fair wasn't the company that started building ice shows around Snoopy, that was Knott's and their creative team "back in the day." I'm sure the knowledge and talent of that team came with Knott's when they purchased the company.

And while yes, now Cedar Fair creates those shows, I just wanted to give credit where it was due.

--Robb

My guess is they'll be rethemed. Maybe not necessarily for next year, but it might be a slow process that lasts 2 or 3 years to de-Nickelodeon/Hanna Barbara everything and turn it into Peanuts. But then again, maybe they will do everything in one offseason, who knows?

I say they are probably going to get rid of everything in one shot. I think they want to get everything straight, on track, and stop spending excess money on licensing that is costing them money. Just because they have other projects going on at the parks doesn't mean they can't deligate time and effort to getting everything switched.

^ You're A Good Man Charlie Brown is actually a very entertaining play. My high school did it one year, and I'm proud to say I have Snoopy friended on Facebook.

I don't mind the musical. The opening is a really awesome song. I mean a live action movie a la Scooby Doo and Garfield.

There are still some unanswered questions here.

How will the Runaway Reptar Jr. Inverts work (Canada's Wonderland gets out of this with Silver Streak)? How will the dark rides be re-themed, if at all (i.e. are they really removing Scooby, or will they just leave it generic... Drop Tower and BLSC come to mind). How will they re-theme Avatar at KI? What are they going to do with KD's Treasure Cave, or the Slime Zone walkthrough (or the Spongebob one at KI, or the Wild Thornberry's one at CGA)? And how will they handle having a Kidzville at half the parks (for example, at CGA, Taxi Jam is outside Nick Central... but at KI, it's all integrated... same thing for half the rides at Canada's Wonderland)? How will they re-theme the flyers at Carowinds (or will they use this re-theme to take them out)?

The Paramount parks were very similar in some respects, but their kiddie lands were all over the place. It will be interesting to see how they plan to pull this off, since each park has so many differences. My point is, this won't be a one-size-fits-all makeover. So this is much more interesting to me than any big coaster coming in this year (...so far).

Snoopy, Charlie Brown, Lucy, Linus, and Sally are really the only characters you'd need.

I think that they should be more diverse with the costumed characters...what about Pig-Pen (kickin' up dust is a must), Franklin, Peppermint Patty and Marcy? I think kids should know about these characters too!!

Snoopy, Charlie Brown, Lucy, Linus, and Sally are really the only characters you'd need.

I think that they should be more diverse with the costumed characters...what about Pig-Pen (kickin' up dust is a must), Franklin, Peppermint Patty and Marcy? I think kids should know about these characters too!!

These are the only walk-around characters I've seen around Cedar Point (though I have heard people talk about Franklin, but I've never seen him). Still, it's a smaller, simpler cast of characters than Nick has. It all boils down to having more chances to meet principal characters, more frequently. I suppose they could add more Peanuts to the mix (since some of these Planet Snoopys are going to be bigger).

^ That's another question that has to be answered. Though, I wouldn't be surprised if Cedar Fair will end up shuttering Canada's Wonderland and KI's theaters, since they're so far removed from the rest of the park (and will probably just be used for Halloween Haunts anyway). Carowinds's theater could be converted to indoor auditoriums, since these parks have only one other indoor theater. Who the heck knows about KD and CGA, but I doubt we'll see Snoopy in the theaters, since they're so far removed from the other Planet Snoopy areas.

Then again, they might pull in some other 4D ride film (Geauga Lake did this with Lego Racers 3D it's last season... and Valleyfair does have an IMAX theater still inside it's gates). It's anybody's guess... but like I said before, this is more interesting to me than a new carbon-copy coaster, since it requires a lot more creative work on Cedar Fair's part.

I wonder what going to happen to the Action Theaters? Will they be rethemed with new movies or torn down altogether?

Why would they tear down the theaters? Lol they didnt always play spongebob you do know that right...

I wonder what going to happen to the Action Theaters? Will they be rethemed with new movies or torn down altogether?

Why would they tear down the theaters? Lol they didnt always play spongebob you do know that right...

Yes I do know that. Days of Thunder was one of my favorite rides back in the day. From there I can't remember the other movies. I just mentioned they might be torn down because John Pagel (PR guy for KD) said in a ask KD forum stated something that didn't add up to me.

If you are wondering what he said something to the intent of "We are looking into doing something with the Action Theater area. The way he worded it didn't make sence to me.

I'm curious what will happen to Scooby-Doo at KI. I just hope Cedar Fair really doesn't destroy that ride.

The most likely story is they'll do what they always do: make it a generic version of its former self. Just a generic shooting dark ride with ghosts.

It's really not that special of a shooter anyway. The guns often don't work that well.

Maybe they'll call it something hilariously generic like "Shooting Dark Ride".

From visitkingsisland.com:

The world's most popular beagle, Snoopy, will have a new home at Kings Island, beginning in 2010.

Planet Snoopy will be located in Kings Island's "Best Kids' Area in the World" section (Amusement Today Golden Ticket award 2001 through 2008) and will boast an elaborate collection of Peanuts-themed rides and attractions for every age, including more kids' roller coasters (four) than any other park in the world. Planet Snoopy will also feature a live stage show and daily meet and greet opportunities with the Peanuts characters such as Snoopy, Charlie Brown, Lucy and Linus.

Fall 2009 marks the kick off to the 60th anniversary of Peanuts. Since its inception on October 2, 1950, Peanuts now appears in over 2,200 newpapers, on iTunes, through wireless and online channels, in 75 countries, and in 25 languages around the world. Peanuts animated television specials, including "A Charlie Brown Christmas" and "It's the Great Pumpkin, Charle Brown," won or were nominated for Emmy Awards.

"Peanuts are an international icon," Kings Island's vice president and general manager Greg Scheid said. "Snoopy and his pals like Charlie Brown, Lucy and Linus are instantly recognizable among children and adults alike. We look forward to the Peanuts Gang becoming part of the world-class thrills, fun and family entertainment for our guests."

Planet Snoopy and the Peanuts Gang will replace Nickelodeon Universe and Scooby-Doo.