TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

TPR's West Coast Trip 2009!

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fun fact, I now work less then two miles from that Incredible John's Pizza in Riverside yet have never been inside! Looks like a fun place, and looks like the group had a blast there, I wonder the types of shenanigans TPR could get into taking over a Dave and Busters...

Psh, that John's Incredible Pizza doesn't stack up to the one in Roseville, which is like at least three times as incredible (okay, I lied. They look pretty much identical). But the real question is...DID YOU TRY THE FRIES?!!!

Nice update too!

Hmmm...maybe I should do my own credit whore day this summer and go to Castle Park, then over to Scandia, and finally end up at John's Incredible Pizza for dinner. Wait...I already have five of those six credits. Oh well, something to keep in mind when Castle Park adds their next coaster.

Great update. I was expecting Universal Studios but I guess that will be a later update. I've been wondering if John's Incredible Pizza was any good since I first heard about it two years ago. Next time I'm in the area I'll be sure to check it out.

^There were fries?!?

I'm so ready to go back for some spicy peanut butter pizza. The best I can do around here is smear some Skippy on a slice of pepperoni and sprinkle on red pepper flakes.

If memory serves me correctly, they were really really ridiculously good.

That Spicy Peanut Butter Pizza was argubly the BEST pizza I have EVER had in my life!

I mean, spice? Good. Peanut butter? Good. Pizza? Good. What's not to like?

All pizza since has been vastly inferior

• 3 weeks later...

Hey everyone!

Today we bring you a very special Photo & Video update! Universal Studios Hollywood and a behind the scenes tour of Revenge of the Mummy!

Check it out here:

http://www.themeparkreview.com/parks/photo.php?pageid=63&linkid=8973

This update contains:

- Photos from inside the track area of Revenge of the Mummy.

- Video - Complete Revenge of the Mummy POV with the lights on!

- A final look at Back Draft.

- A look back at Creature from the Black Lagoon

- Lots of chances to get a TPR Bag-O-Crap!

- Fun TPR antics at Universal Studios Hollywood!

Enjoy the update!

--Robb

Edited by robbalvey

Universal was an awesome place. Pretty impressive for a park with only 1 coaster (that's not as good as Florida). The backstage tour was incredible, I can't actually believe they we let us (I mean us) in the ride area. The whole park was filled with cool (dark)rides. I wish I could've ridden everything in the park, but unfortunatly time was limited, but I'm glad we managed to do all the highlights, thanks to the provided 'front of the line'-passes.

And will the answers to the email-dan trivia be posted?

^ How did you not manage to get on everything?

Our group got on Mummy (obviously), Jurassic Park, Backdraft, Simpsons, Shrek, House of Horrors, and did the Studio Tour. We also saw the Waterworld and Animal Actors show. I think the only attraction in the entire park we didn't do was T2.

--Robb "We had plenty of time at the park." Alvey

Edited by robbalvey

"Old...and stupid!"

Now every time I see a porcelain deer (which is strangely often) I laugh out loud.

Do you remember when Conan O'Brien hosted the Tonight Show? NBC doesn't.

WHYYYY, Drew?! WHYYYY?!

And am I the only one who thinks Casey is starting to look a little bit like Alan Rickman?

^ How did you not manage to get on everything?

Our group got on Mummy (obviously), Jurassic Park, Backdraft, Simpsons, Shrek, House of Horrors, and did the Studio Tour. We also saw the Waterworld and Animal Actors show. I think the only attraction in the entire park we didn't do was T2.

--Robb "We had plenty of time at the park." Alvey

Umm, if I recall correctly we did Mummy, Jurrassic Park, Simpsons, Studio Tour, Backdraft, had lunch and then Shrek. And basically, that where also the rides it wanted to do, those where the rides that looked the coolest and I was really glad I could get them done. But the other rides, while they weren't on the top of my list, they seemed fun and in a perfect world, I would like to have done T2, the House of Horror and the Creature Show and then there was the Hard Rock Cafe just outside. I just felt a little pittle sad about not being able to do everything, because California is one of those places I won't go for a few years. But don't get me wrong, the day at Universal (and the entire tour) was top notch and I understand that it's not possible to do really everything.

Edited by hyyyper

Thanks for posting the photos and video footage. Great interior shots of the Mummy; I've been curious to see exactly what is going on in there for a while. That warehouse is much bigger than I thought as the last time I visited the park (15 years prior), it was the E.T. ride. Were you able to watch the cars navigate the track from inside the "arena?"

I took my visiting family to Universal last year and was sent onto the ride as the guinea pig to gauge how intense it would be for the rest of them who collectively found the Simpsons to be "too much." Even though it was short, I was surprised by its force. And considering the general paucity of airtime in California, I remember being lifted out of my seat more than once.

Maybe it's because I grew up in England, and my early roller coaster riding experiences were informed by such 1980s classics as The Black Hole, The Rat Ride, and Space Invader, but I'll take modest, enclosed, and themed over towering 300' drops with 35 inversions any day.

I think this may have been the best report so far. The Mummy tour definitely looked like one of the highlights of the trip, and the lights on POV really shows that the ride isn't much more than I thought. Surprisingly, I like that ride quite a bit, but if you placed outside it wouldn't be too much more than Pony Express.

Again, great report, and I can't wait to see the rest of the trip. I always enjoy seeing what other people think of the parks I visit relatively often.

^ I think he's just trying to say that, take the building and the theming off the ride and you have not much more than an extended Roller Skater. And he's right! But...add back that building and the theming and you do have a pretty decent theme park attraction!

If you've ever ridden Space Mountain with the lights on, it's pretty much the same kind of comparison.

Edited by robbalvey

^ I think he's just trying to say that, take the building and the theming off the ride and you have not much more than an extended Roller Skater. And he's right! But...add back that building and the theming and you do have a pretty decent theme park attraction!

Exactly. If this ride was outside in the middle of a field I'm guessing it would be similar to Pony Express or one of the Backlot Stunt Coasters, but with all the theming it is a pretty good ride. In other words, the attraction overall is great but the roller coaster alone isn't much.