TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

TPR's West Coast Trip 2009!

That was an awesome update. What an amazing day. The animals in the morning and at lunch ruled. And nighttime ERT was so much fun. Many, many, MANY rides on V2 and Roar!

"Anyone seen Giant Octopus around? That guy owes me a phone call."

This made me laugh.

"This is Six Flags in a box. Just add water and Six Flags Kerry B pops up!"

I need one of those!

Seriously, why did Kerry win a prize?!? BECAUSE SHE RUBBED HER RAFFLE TICKET ON ICE BAT! That's right, she took advantage of Ice Bat's mystical powers* and got herself a prize! She is smart. And awesome! Congrats Kerry!

dt

*Disclaimer: Ice Bat doesn't actually have any mystical powers. He usually just sits around and looks irritated. Kind of like the idiot that carries him everywhere. Then again, he rode the splash battle at Dollywood and came out of that totally dry, so perhaps he DOES have mystical powers. Clearly more research is needed on this topic. I need a government grant to study this...

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yay for West Coast Trip Updates!!!!

SFDK really was a very good time! Touching a sloth was something I never even imagined I ever get to do and Night ERT was off the Hook!!

Good Times!!!

Thank You Daren for posting that Amazing Jelly Belly group photo!!

Thank You Robb for another great Trip Report!!

I know we at the park had a blast with you guys coming and hanging out for the day. We look forward to next year but I don't know if we can top the Tony Hawk Challenge... We'll definitely try though.

Great update as always, Hope the rest of the West Coast trip was enjoyable.

Discovery Kingdom was very much a surprise hit for me. The park is clean, the staff is friendly, and the rides were all pretty good. (I try and forget they have an SLC though.) I do want to give shout out to an awesome ride op from that night. I don't remember her name, but she was awesome. Every time I entered the station for V2, we would do the Fonz to each other and yell "EEEEEYYYY!" Also the Roar ride op was awesome too. You know, they all were great. This was the best Six Flags park I've ever been to, and one of the best parks of the WCT. Thank you to Discovery Kingdom for all they did for us. It was an awesome event, and they're an awesome park. Keep up the great operations!!!!

This was an awsome day. The little things the park did for us, like send in the characters to keep us entertained when we were waiting around, were awsome! Oh, and they gave us goodie bags too!

My favourite Six Flags park so far. Even though the coaster selection isn't as great as SFMM and SFGadv, the park as a whole was gorgeous, and the staff were all really into it.

V2 was fabulous, too! I applaud the people who complained about the height of a ride, for the first time ever (apart from Alton's coasters anyway).

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

We're not quite to the Legoland portion of the official TR yet, but this seemed like the appropriate place to post this tidbit. The fact that many of us on the WCT got to experience the American "lite" version of much of what this auction offers should officially put to rest any argument about whether TPR trips are "worth it":

http://www.charityfolks.com/cfauctions/auction_bid.asp?auctionid=17792&catname=For+Kids&scid=13571&mcid=13558

It's up to $17,000 as of this post. Now that would buy a spot on one heck of a TPR trip!

Jason "I'd rather hang out with Renate anyway" R.

That would be my son's ultimate dream experience. He is an absolute Lego fanatic, and wants to be a master builder when he grows up.

$30,000 is a bit out of my budget, though.

We are taking him to Legoland CA next month. It's too bad we won't be experiencing the TPR treatment, but I think he'll be pretty thrilled, nonetheless!

• 4 months later...

One of the interesting "food themed" rides at Gilroy Gardens is the Banana Split---a giant swinging banana!

Then there's the monorail with lap bars.

Nice report. To me, Gilroy Gardens is a hidden gem. I wonder how many people drive past it and not even stop, just assuming it's "just another boring garden."

Eric

Gilroy Gardens was a cool park, in it's own kind of way. The park was beautiful and the landscaping and trees created lots of shadows on that hot day. The minetrain ride was awesome, the way it's build on the terrain and how close you get to the trees really kicks you in the face. The kiddie coaster was really fast (for a kiddie), and a lot of fun when you take it over. Then the rock maze, that was epic. I managed to get out as one of the first by taking left after left after left after left and there was the exit. Now I could make fun of everybody still trapped in the maze and stupid enough to follow our directions.

The day will also remain in my memory because the moment the ERT ended, I called for a cab to take me to the nearest store to get myself a new camera, as mine 'old' one decided to break down the previous night.

And horray for Robb for resurrecting the thread. I can't wait to digg up memories from the epic trip.

I've only been to Gilroy Gardens once right after it opened, back when it was still Bonfante Gardens. Glad to see it's still a beautifully landscaped park. I don't remember doing the rock maze though--looks like I missed out. Great photos!

Edited by tinkerbell

Parks like Gilroy Gardens is one of the things I love most about traveling with TPR. If I were to go to CA on my own, I would probably never have visited this park. It was one of my favorite on the trip just because it's so cool, quirky, and beautiful. Thank you for resurecting this thread! Somehow I had missed the Bay Area update...(yes, I do feel very ashamed!!) And Dave, Ice Bat gets complete credit for my win at the raffle! I just wish I had one the sloth!!

Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk Update!!!

This update includes tons of photos and THREE VIDEOS from our visit to Santa Cruz! Includes our backstage tour of the Giant Dipper, the UNDERNEATH tour of the Carousel (this was REALLY cool!!!) and one of the last videos from the old Haunted Castle Dark Ride! Photos of the TPR Beach Party and lots of fun on the boardwalk!

Click below to read this update!

http://www.themeparkreview.com/parks/photo.php?pageid=201&linkid=8651

I think the thing that amazed most about this park was that it is managed by Cedar Fair.

Still a great park though, i'd love to revisit if I come back, it's a real good family park, however its location could cause some problems, due to the fact that it's isolated from the LA and San Fran area, and I have yet to be able to find any bus tours or any tour (apart from last years TPR Tour) from any area to this park, which rules us out revisiting again. I'll be damned if I drive on the wrong side of the road, since it is the wrong side of the road afterall.

Great parks though and nice updates. Thanks again Robb, looking forward to the next reports on the list, you guys do an amazing job. And no, I am not trying to kiss everyone's arse, credit where credit is due, Robb and Elissa do a great job managing this site among other TPR stuff let alone their personal stuff. Thanks guys.