TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Howl-O-Scream 2009

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This year sounds like it is going to be Great! And some of the houses are almost done. They are rushing.

They should of added 1 more scare zone in that dead area between Timbuktu and Kenya =/ Other than that with awesome returning houses like Death Row Vengeance and 13, I think it would def be a kick a$$ event like last year.

Wow!...SEVEN Houses this year...I think that's the most they've had since they're inception...Kudos to Busch Gardens....

I was tempted to work there this year (I did it in 2006 & 2007)..its SO much fun & so ADDICTING to SCARE people...I tell ya...but figured I wanted to ENJOY the Halloween season this year...what with the Spooky Empire show in Orlando, HHN, HOS, Zoo Boo at Lowry Park Zoo & tons of other things I can't think of right now, its a no-brainer. Plus Halloween night is a "work" day & i got little kids I need to take trick-or-treating...

This looks like it'll be a blast. Definitely going.

BTW, where is that 'Dance Club' going to be located? I LOVE the fact that its 21+...keep those idi0t immature kids OUT!

HOS is cool for us locals..especially early in the season (Sept, early Oct), cause usually its empty!!! Looking forward to this!

This year sounds like it is going to be Great! And some of the houses are almost done. They are rushing.

They should of added 1 more scare zone in that dead area between Timbuktu and Kenya =/ Other than that with awesome returning houses like Death Row Vengeance and 13, I think it would def be a kick a$$ event like last year.

where are the scarezones located? It doesn't show it on the map.

And in case you don't know how to get to the map, go into the make-up room, and click on the trash can next to the door.

where are the scarezones located? It doesn't show it on the map.

And in case you don't know how to get to the map, go into the make-up room, and click on the trash can next to the door.

Banshees - Gwazi Plaza

Werewolves - I think in LOD

Carnival de Muerto - Nairobi walkway (i think)

Unearthed - Next to the log flume (i think) lol

But i am positive about the one in gwazi plaza

• 4 weeks later...

Im goin to the preview weekend this Saturday and cant wait. Last years even was amazing, I had a ton of fun and thought the event was on par with Horror Nights almost. The houses don't "look" as good but they scared me a hell of a lot more. And night rides on Sheikra/Kumba are almost worth the price of admission alone! Cant wait

I was at Howl-o-Scream's media day event, and did the screamcam through one of their new houses, DED sorority house. Busch really did an amazing job this year, practically on par with HHN, and much scarier houses, on a lower budget.

To sum up HOS compared too HHN, HHN is pretty while HOS is scary.

I went to HOS for the first time last night.

Holy shenanigans. It was really awesome. I really enjoyed nightshade toys and Death Row Vengeance. The theme wasn't really that emphasized, other than the entrance area, but the houses were really good. And Agreeing with TheHulk, the werewolf scarezone was definitely awesome.

My thoughts on Hall-O-Screams last night, no particular order. I didn't take very many pictures for 1 I my camera sucks, 2 I was flaying around trying to get everything in as quick as possible, and C other people take better pics anyways.

The Houses....

The two new houses were both fantastic.

The NightShades Toy Factories located in the old monorail building (I think) was very dark and creepy and full of all kinds of sinister toys. Some good scares in there too! A lot of it felt like decorated hallways with a few well done rooms but the old school scares and creepy toy costumes made up for it and made it an entertaining house.

The D.E.D. Pledge Week house was in a new building somewhere behind the Tidal Wave ride and used the tidal wave que line. Very well done, felt like you were walking through a real sorority house full of all kinda of gross but kinda hot at the same time sorority stuff. Keep an eye out for some pictures of the Raven Twins in the house, I think they were some former members of the D.E.D. Sorority and are probably responsible for some of the goings ons within that house......

The older houses were the same as they've been, but were still really good. I especially like the Death Row Vengence and Trapped in the Walls, some really cool effects and just pure scares in there. The 13 house is also well done and kind of made me feel like home a bit. Ever wondered what the Eastern Kentucky area is like? then try 13, just like home, everything except for the canablistic biker gang that is but fun house. Reconstruction has some good scares, and Taste of blood is good, really feels like a subway/sewer but with Vampires!!

Over all the houses are very scary and full of the "traditional" style scares, ya know loud noises, banging, shaker can stuff, chainsaws, guys popping out at you from places that kind of thing. Not as many "visual" scares, I guess, as Horror Nights has. The costumes at Busch's event are not nearly as detailed or elaborate and neither are the sets but the old school scares and effort from the actors make up for it. However, the new D.E.D. Sorority house was on par with a HHN house in my opinion as far as set design and visual scares that kinda thing, very good probably the best of the night.

The scare zones were average, Werewolves was very good as it had the best location. They are fun to walk through and have a some well done costumes but aren't nearly as significant as HHN's. Still some decent scares to be had and fun to walk through.

We also stopped to check out the shows. The Jason Byrne magic show, Moonlight Cabaret, was very entertaining, who doesn't like a little magic every now and then ? Some very good tricks that I could figure out, and some old ones that everyone knows thanks to that douche who reveals the magic secrets on TV. But overall a very entertaining show. The magician did a great job playing off and overcoming a prop malfunction when the blade of his sword fell off the hilt whilst removing it from the sheath. Everyone kinda figured out the trick then I guess but he still did a great job staying in character and finishing the trick.

The Fiends show was okay, nothing to special but it does involve a lot of hot half naked nurses dancing so that cool I guess. They attempted to make a few pop culture jokes at Kanye and American Idol and all but it didn't really work out. Honestly we lost interest about half way through and left, but it was well done and everyone else in the audience seemed to enjoy it.

The rides were running, and more than just the major coasters. The log flume was operating, Scorpion, Sandstorm, Cheetah Chase, and the inverter ship (Phoenix?). Every coaster had multiple trains running and most crews were working very hard. However a couple crews could use a little more sense of urgency, ahhem MONTU ahhem. We got on all the coaster and all the houses and saw the 2 shows all before midnight.

The House of Vayne theme was evident only at the entrance gate where there was a fashion show going on with the models and photograhers that turned violent like in the commercials. Pretty cool display to enter the park to in my opinion.

The upcharge 21 and over Club Envy is located near the front gate. I was pretty excited about this concept going in, after shows like True Blood and the vampire bar in it, Fangtasia, I thought there was really cool dance club vampire bar concept that was going to at the park. However after looking at it from the door it only appeared to be a sectioned off covered area with a bar and a DJ playing dance music. I didn't notice any vampire actors or anything cool at all so we didn't even go in. Kinda a disappointment.

Overall its a great event, I would totally recommend it for anyone that enjoys HHN or any kind of halloween event. It's hard to compare the two events because they are on a different level but are both exciting in their own ways. But the houses and scare zones and night rides on Sheikra and Kumba definitely make this event worth a trip. Check it out!

My thoughts on Hall-O-Screams last night, no particular order. I didn't take very many pictures for 1 I my camera sucks, 2 I was flaying around trying to get everything in as quick as possible, and C other people take better pics anyways.

The Houses....

The two new houses were both fantastic.

The NightShades Toy Factories located in the old monorail building (I think) was very dark and creepy and full of all kinds of sinister toys. Some good scares in there too! A lot of it felt like decorated hallways with a few well done rooms but the old school scares and creepy toy costumes made up for it and made it an entertaining house.

The D.E.D. Pledge Week house was in a new building somewhere behind the Tidal Wave ride and used the tidal wave que line. Very well done, felt like you were walking through a real sorority house full of all kinda of gross but kinda hot at the same time sorority stuff. Keep an eye out for some pictures of the Raven Twins in the house, I think they were some former members of the D.E.D. Sorority and are probably responsible for some of the goings ons within that house......

The older houses were the same as they've been, but were still really good. I especially like the Death Row Vengence and Trapped in the Walls, some really cool effects and just pure scares in there. The 13 house is also well done and kind of made me feel like home a bit. Ever wondered what the Eastern Kentucky area is like? then try 13, just like home, everything except for the canablistic biker gang that is but fun house. Reconstruction has some good scares, and Taste of blood is good, really feels like a subway/sewer but with Vampires!!

Over all the houses are very scary and full of the "traditional" style scares, ya know loud noises, banging, shaker can stuff, chainsaws, guys popping out at you from places that kind of thing. Not as many "visual" scares, I guess, as Horror Nights has. The costumes at Busch's event are not nearly as detailed or elaborate and neither are the sets but the old school scares and effort from the actors make up for it. However, the new D.E.D. Sorority house was on par with a HHN house in my opinion as far as set design and visual scares that kinda thing, very good probably the best of the night.

The scare zones were average, Werewolves was very good as it had the best location. They are fun to walk through and have a some well done costumes but aren't nearly as significant as HHN's. Still some decent scares to be had and fun to walk through.

We also stopped to check out the shows. The Jason Byrne magic show, Moonlight Cabaret, was very entertaining, who doesn't like a little magic every now and then ? Some very good tricks that I could figure out, and some old ones that everyone knows thanks to that douche who reveals the magic secrets on TV. But overall a very entertaining show. The magician did a great job playing off and overcoming a prop malfunction when the blade of his sword fell off the hilt whilst removing it from the sheath. Everyone kinda figured out the trick then I guess but he still did a great job staying in character and finishing the trick.

The Fiends show was okay, nothing to special but it does involve a lot of hot half naked nurses dancing so that cool I guess. They attempted to make a few pop culture jokes at Kanye and American Idol and all but it didn't really work out. Honestly we lost interest about half way through and left, but it was well done and everyone else in the audience seemed to enjoy it.

The rides were running, and more than just the major coasters. The log flume was operating, Scorpion, Sandstorm, Cheetah Chase, and the inverter ship (Phoenix?). Every coaster had multiple trains running and most crews were working very hard. However a couple crews could use a little more sense of urgency, ahhem MONTU ahhem. We got on all the coaster and all the houses and saw the 2 shows all before midnight.

The House of Vayne theme was evident only at the entrance gate where there was a fashion show going on with the models and photograhers that turned violent like in the commercials. Pretty cool display to enter the park to in my opinion.

The upcharge 21 and over Club Envy is located near the front gate. I was pretty excited about this concept going in, after shows like True Blood and the vampire bar in it, Fangtasia, I thought there was really cool dance club vampire bar concept that was going to at the park. However after looking at it from the door it only appeared to be a sectioned off covered area with a bar and a DJ playing dance music. I didn't notice any vampire actors or anything cool at all so we didn't even go in. Kinda a disappointment.

Overall its a great event, I would totally recommend it for anyone that enjoys HHN or any kind of halloween event. It's hard to compare the two events because they are on a different level but are both exciting in their own ways. But the houses and scare zones and night rides on Sheikra and Kumba definitely make this event worth a trip. Check it out!

• 2 weeks later...

My Review of Howl-O-Scream 10: House of Vayne

Every year we try to hit the major Florida Halloween haunts: Halloween Horror Nights at Universal and Howl-O-Scream at Busch Gardens Tampa Bay. Over the years we have seen HOS grow into the major event it is today. Last Thursday, we checked out this year’s event: The House of Vayne. Busch Gardens jumped on the vampire bandwagon for this year’s theme. The twist is that the event is themed to a group of model vampires that are “killers” on the runway. I will have to give it to BGT for the marketing campaign for the House of Vanye, it has been everywhere and the TV spots are pretty cool. Check it out. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGMbtxrhFFQ

We always try to hit HOS on a Thursday and earlier in the month. It is always the best time to go. The crowds are super light. We walked into every house, walked onto every coaster, with the exception to Shekria (had a 10 minute wait). The 7 haunted houses are pretty solid, the scare zones could be a lot better though, but we still had a good time.

Below is my review of the houses:

HOUSES:

Nightshade Toys:

Your worst childhood fears are confirmed when sinister toys come to life.

This was our first house of the night and our favorite. The house is located in the skyride building were the former After Hours: Club Dead house used to be. We had a blast in this one. There were a lot of good scares. The evil marinette room was very creepy! If you hate dolls at all, this one will scare the scrap out of you!

Grade: A

Reconstruction: The Doctor Is In

Dr. Edger Von Angst has the skill and technology to rebuild you…But what will you become?

A returning house from last year, Reconstruction is located in the old Akbar attraction building. When we went through this, it was especially creepy because we were the only people in the house. So it we had a lot of good scares. Kind of gory, which is expected.

Grade: B

Death Row: Vengence

The inmates of Grey Echo Penitentiary are slated for execution, and they blame you!

Another returning house from last year located in Narobi. A typical haunted house themed to a prison where the inmates have taken over. A solid house with a few cool effects including “floating” inmates. And watch out for the firing squad!

Grade: B-

Trapped In The Walls

Evil pollutes the walls of a house that can’t let go of its horrible history.

This returning Timbuktu house features scares from every direction. Another decent house.

Taste of Blood

Forced underground into the subways and sewers, vampires wait until nightfall to seduce fresh blood.

Located in the Ubanga Banga Bumper Cars building, Taste of Blood had a good scare at the beginning for our group. I believe this is this house’s 3rd year, so not sure how many more years it will be around, I think some of the effects are getting old.

DED Pledge Week

The most mysterious sorority on campus is hiding some sinister secrets.

The 2nd of 2 new houses this year, this one was built in a brand new building over where the old Orchid Canyon used to be by the Tidal Wave.

I think this will be a big hit with straight guys. Lot’s of pillow fights and half naked demonic soul-sucking girls. Sounds fun, right?

Grade: C+

13: Motorcycle Club

The Messengers return to claim another 13 victims. This year they’re out to feast on human flesh.

Another old house from the last few years. A typical redneck-type themed house. Lots of fog and way too much gasoline.

Grade: C-

Out of the 4 scare zones, Werewolves was the best with the most scares and best theming. The other 3 were just ok, nothing very memorable.

Can’t rate the shows since we didn’t really see them. We caught about 5 minutes of Fiends, basically it featured lots of characters Lip Syncing to disco, no thanks.

How does HOS stack up to HHN? I would say that HHN’s houses are much more detailed and really set the mood. HOS’s houses have more constant and cheap scares. Also a plus and negative is that the houses at HOS are extremely long in length. If you go be sure to catch the fashion runway show at the front entrance which is very cool. Check out a video of it here: WARNING! Contains Spoilers!

I think this year’s scare zones at both Universal and Busch have been better in years past. Overall I enjoyed our night at HOS, but I could have a very skewed opinion since we were there on an extremely dead night with no lines. I don’t care how good a haunted house is, waiting an hour plus for it, will never be worth it. If you have a chance I would recommend checking HOS out on a Thursday night and you will have the park to yourself!

Final thought: If you like Halloween and haunted houses, you will enjoy HOS a lot.

group.jpg.39b3c5a2c597239ff04f385406b52628.jpg

Thanks to my fun group for making this night a blast!

wolf.jpg.f33f742c1c1a93695162b7b7fdeb939e.jpg

The best scare zone at HOS in my opinion, "Werewolves".

Stage.jpg.f017237b3be2ab184182c135060ebb69.jpg

Part of the very cool runway show at the park entrance.

entrance.jpg.539c14cdee0a1748b2a95a88ca07430a.jpg

Some of the cast of demonic models featured at this year's event.

I am not posting a full review but I will just rate the houses and scare zones

A) Houses

1) Nightshade Toy Factory- 4/5

2) 13 - 3/5

3) DED pledge (sorority house)- 4/5 I love the theme on this one.

4) Taste of Blood- 3.5/4

5) Trapped In the Walls -5/5. for some reason I loved this one this yr...

6) Death Row- 3/5....but I want to go again cause Last year Death Row was amazing! last year 5/5

7) Reconstructions- 4/5

Scare zones.

El Carnival del Muerto- 4/5

Werewolves 5/5

Banshees 3/5

Unearthed 2/5

Shows.

Full Moon Cabaret 4/5 it was a pretty cool Vegas style Magic show. Would of prefer more gore...But def a better pick from previous shows

Fiends 3/5 fun as always, just getting tired of it.

• 2 weeks later...

Friends & I went last night and omg it was beyond packed. I was in total shock to see that many people were there as compared to last year's event. Shiekra was a 95 minute wait and most of the houses were over an hour wait also.

I guess we should have spent the extra 39.99 a person for the "front of the line passes" Overall we did one coaster(Gwazi) and four houses(13Eat Your Heart Out, Toys, D.E.D, and Recontruction) within about 5 hours of being at the park.

Favorite houses:Toy house--the music that they were playing in the house was very very spooky and freaked the hell out of me haha!

Oh and I almost forgot the front of the park runway show was GREAT!! Even though its almost exactly like the Howl-O-Scream website shows its still pretty neat to watch in person:]

So overall I still think Howl-O-Scream was good but had waaayyyy too many people at the park to truely in joy the experience. Plus the "unexpected" cold front didn't help either..it was very windy last night and in the freakin 50s! Not your normal Florida weather...

Overall, I was very impressed with this event. I actually got a few more "startle" scares than at HHN. The werewolf scarezone was hands down the best one. Although, I was one of the few in our group, I actually liked Taste of Blood the best. Nightshade Toy Factory was a close second.

Friends & I went last night and omg it was beyond packed. I was in total shock to see that many people were there as compared to last year's event. Shiekra was a 95 minute wait and most of the houses were over an hour wait also.

I guess we should have spent the extra 39.99 a person for the "front of the line passes" Overall we did one coaster(Gwazi) and four houses(13Eat Your Heart Out, Toys, D.E.D, and Recontruction) within about 5 hours of being at the park.

Favorite houses:Toy house--the music that they were playing in the house was very very spooky and freaked the hell out of me haha!

Oh and I almost forgot the front of the park runway show was GREAT!! Even though its almost exactly like the Howl-O-Scream website shows its still pretty neat to watch in person:]

So overall I still think Howl-O-Scream was good but had waaayyyy too many people at the park to truely in joy the experience. Plus the "unexpected" cold front didn't help either..it was very windy last night and in the freakin 50s! Not your normal Florida weather...

Saturdays are is always our busiest day...but this past sat was busier than we expected...I would suggest people to come on thursday

Oh ok, thanks. I'm guessing you work for the park. I almost kinda wanna go back because my bf and i really wanted to do more but just wasnt possible with all those people. Too bad theey can't make those "front of the line passes more afforable! 40 bucks is kinda steep on top of the ticket to get in as well plus food $