TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

American Playground Enthusiasts

The American Playground Enthusiasts, or APE, is a non-profit organization founded in 2009. The group consists of almost 3 members from 2 US states and 1 other country. It is the world's largest play enthusiast organization that prides itself in its award-winning publication, events, and preservation efforts for swing sets around the world.

The mission of American Playground Enthusiasts is to:

foster and promote the conservation, appreciation, knowledge, and enjoyment of the classic wooden play ground and the contemporary plastic play ground;

to create fellowship among its members;

and to promote the continued operation of swing sets.

www.facebook.com/pages/American-Playground-Enthusiasts/137209591647

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ I have always thought someone should make one of those giant indoor play structures for all ages. I remember thinking they were a lot of fun when I was younger and they are great for exercise since you are running around and crawling in tubes but it seems they are all just for kids.

Adult Playground = Wipeout? I'd love to even just play on those obstacles...(Elissa can probably vouch for this one)

Kid playgrounds nowadays don't feel the same as what we had: huge metal slides (that never zapped you), roller slides, tanbark, turntables, ball pits...you probably get my idea. Playgrounds now are almost too safe with the spongy ground and simple designs instead of the complex ones we had.

I'm sure APE would like to see Discovery Zone, the indoor playground mecca make a revival again...

Those swings seriously look really really strange.

I wonder if you're able to swing over the bar with those.

It's stuff like this that really makes me feel sorry for today's generation. A lot of the new playgrounds I've seen use bits of shredded tires packed together instead of sand/wood chips. I can remember when McDonald's Playlands actually had actual playground equipment, which probably would be met with lawsuits today.

Are children not allowed to have fun anymore?

Years ago when my girlfriend's daughter asked me to go in the hamster tubes/suspended soft play fort at Chuckie Cheese, I had a good time. The nice thing about it was that it was built for adults and kids. There was a good bit of room for me to fit through. Really was amazing the whole thing hung from the ceiling.

Really, we're all big kids here in some form or fashion. That's why we still go to parks and act goofy. It's fun. Whether it's a water park, amusement park, or what have you, it's still a big playground for little kids and big kids to enjoy.

And that, was you warm and fuzzy philosophical moment for the morning.