TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Disney Raises Daily Ticket Price at WDW and DLR

^I'm going to assume that it might be difficult for him to going outside of peak travel season because he said "family of 5". Many people don't want to take their kids out of school just for a vacation.

Still, 5 grand for 3 days sounds a bit high. I imagine you could do 5-7 days for that price and amount of people. You might have to cut out things like staying on property and eating at Jiko every night, but it's doable.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's be serious... I live in Boston. The price to bring my family of 5 to WDW for 3 days would cost over $5,000. Let me repeat that... FIVE GRAND!!!

Let's be serious... you're pulling numbers out of your butt.

In under 5 minutes I got quote from Walt Disney World spending 5 nights, 6 days at a Value resort in October for 2 adults and 3 children including park tickets and accomodations and the grand total was....

$2,172.99

Now of course this does not include airfare to the resort, but I think you can find some pretty good deals going right now.

Bottom line, I'm not sure where you got your "over $5,000 for 3 days" number, but it's way...WAAAAAAY off.

--Robb

EDIT!

^I'm going to assume that it might be difficult for him to going outside of peak travel season because he said "family of 5". Many people don't want to take their kids out of school just for a vacation.

Good point. I went and re-did my search for the week of July 4th, 2010, just to check summer and busy periods and it came to $2,454.45.

Still WELL UNDER $5,000!

Robb's theme park travel advice:

"Do your research."

--Robb

However, with the recent economic struggles that this country has endured, it is absurd that they can raise their prices twice in 2 years.

The euro is much stronger than the dollar though so many are going to the American parks instead of Paris and it seems like a bargain to them. And a LOT of Disney's North American park attendance comes from Europe which is probably the reason they are still increasing ticket prices.

^$5,000 for three days for 5 people? Damn, is that staying in the castle? Plane tickets from Boston in October are around $200 per person. You can stay in a moderate resort for around $150 per night with the fall promotion and even get free dining if you stay 5 days. Our 5 day/ 5 night trip in October staying at the Coronado Springs and getting the free meal plan was $1,500 for two adults (+one two year old). Plane tickets for me from Memphis is the killer...around $345 per person.

Southwest- 5 people= $780 each way= $1560

Rent a car- $30 a day/$10 gas a day= $120

Hotel (stayed on Disney property)- $180 per night with tax $190 = $570

WDW- for 1 day 3 adult 2 kids = $384 $12 for parking = $396

Food + drink (all day) $100

Animal Kingdom- 1 day 3 adults 2 kids = $384 = $12 for parking = $396

Food = $100

Blizzard Beach- $195 + $12 for parking = $207

Food = $90

This comes to $3529

after spending at last $8 per person for breakfeast each morning = $160

and 2 nights eating out for 5 at a Olive Garden & Chili's = $14

spending $ on fried dough and Cotton Candy for 3 kids for the trip = $50

= $3573

I admit! I over exaggerated on our total cost, However, I didn't include suvourniers or taxes that we paid. All I know is when we got back, I spent just under 5 grand when everything was said and done.

It's still aloooooottttt of money for most of us!!!!

My apologies for my over reaction, it's still wayyyy to much!!!

You said u cant take them to orlando for vacation. Umm deal going on down here right now you can buy a seaworld ticket and bam you can get into bgt for free. Plus were not disney but 2parks 2day for 100 at universal idont think its bad.

I agree... I went to those two parks with my wife this year, and it was worth every penny.

I hate to disagree with everyone here, I just don't see paying $90 bucks for Thunder Mountain, Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, and the Haunted mansion. They reaaaaallly need to upgrade their theme rides. I rode these when I was 12 years old!!!!!!

^ Well, see, that's just simply a difference of opinion, which I can totally understand.

It's one thing to want to go to Disney because you're not that into it, it's another thing to try to fabricate a story saying it costs $5,000 for 2 days there.

Clearly I think you just aren't that into Disney, and that's fine.

--Robb

To reiterate my initial point... 4 adults 1 child to the magic kingdom with parking and food will run you just over $500.

That is absurd!!!!!

But you're also not being smart about your visits if that is how much you think you need to spend.

Yeah, it really just sounds like you are not into Disney and you're trying to convince everyone else what a horrible place it is because YOU don't like it.

And all everyone else is telling you is how you can do Walt Disney World a much smarter way if you WANTED to, but it sounds like you just don't want to, and that's fine. Just don't piss on everyone else's parade if WDW isn't your thing.

We did 7 days at Walt Disney World (stayed at Wilderness Lodge) in February of this year and it was $1550 for the three of us for the hotel and park tickets, $900 for airfare, and about $750 for food and other stuff for the week. That's $3,200 total for staying on property at a DELUXE resort. Everything included.

Your cost estimates are just absurd. Whatever you're doing to spend all the money at Walt Disney World, you're doing it wrong.

--Robb

It reminds me of that scene from Jurassic Park where the lawyer and Hammond are talking and the lawyer gets starry eyed thinking about just how high a ticket price they can charge, and people will pay it since nowhere else in the world can you experience real dinosaurs.

That’s a good allegory.

But then remember what Jurassic Park's designer and founder, John Hammond, says in return:

"This park was not built to carter only to the super rich. Everyone in the world's got a right to enjoy these animals."

Too bad Walt Disney is dead.

^ Well, see, that's just simply a difference of opinion, which I can totally understand.

It's one thing to want to go to Disney because you're not that into it, it's another thing to try to fabricate a story saying it costs $5,000 for 2 days there.

Clearly I think you just aren't that into Disney, and that's fine.

--Robb

To reiterate my initial point... 4 adults 1 child to the magic kingdom with parking and food will run you just over $500.

That is absurd!!!!!

But you're also not being smart about your visits if that is how much you think you need to spend.

Yeah, it really just sounds like you are not into Disney and you're trying to convince everyone else what a horrible place it is because YOU don't like it.

And all everyone else is telling you is how you can do Walt Disney World a much smarter way if you WANTED to, but it sounds like you just don't want to, and that's fine. Just don't piss on everyone else's parade if WDW isn't your thing.

We did 7 days at Walt Disney World (stayed at Wilderness Lodge) in February of this year and it was $1550 for the three of us for the hotel and park tickets, $900 for airfare, and about $750 for food and other stuff for the week. That's $3,200 total for staying on property at a DELUXE resort. Everything included.

Your cost estimates are just absurd. Whatever you're doing to spend all the money at Walt Disney World, you're doing it wrong.

--Robb

You are totally missing my point. I just feel that NOTHING is worth $80 admission the second time around. If you see my initial statement.

"he second time was when I was 6 "now that experience has stuck with me for life". I will agree that WDW gives you an experience like no other."

WDW is incredible on your first visit. MY OPINION, and that is all! is that it is not worth the price inflation for the food, park, parking, and hotel.

To give an example... I'm a HUUUUGE Red Sox fan! I refuse to pay $95 for a ticket for 3 hours to watch an obstructive view of the field at Fenway Park. I can watch it on my 62 inch big screen while drinking a .50 cent beer, instead of a $8 beer! I understand it's about the experience, that is why I will pay $18 for bleacher seats, and drink before I get in the park!!!

Since Disney is not my cup of tea, I'll agree that $79 is too much FOR ME! But for someone like my sister who loves Disney, it is not a cost barrier.

However, I'll admit as someone who rarely thought about Disney over the past 20 years and I was unaware of the existence of a 10 Park Hopper option, with no expiration date option before Theme Park Review. I expect that 10 Day Hopper to last me for a couple of years, at an average cost of close to $50 a day. So I thank TPR for introducing me to this option.

Now that Elissa says old tickets can be exchanged, I might try to dig up a 20 year old one-day Park Hopper ticket that I never used in 1989. I think it is in a box of college memorabilia.

However, I can see how a large family, shelling out the cost of four 10-Day Park hoppers at the same time as travel and hotel accommodations could be a tough one-time hit. Then again any big vacation needs to be budgeted over time for a large family.

Since Disney is not my cup of tea, I'll agree that $79 is too much FOR ME! But for someone like my sister who loves Disney, it is not a cost barrier.

However, I'll admit as someone who rarely thought about Disney over the past 20 years and I was unaware of the existence of a 10 Park Hopper option, with no expiration date option before Theme Park Review. I expect that 10 Day Hopper to last me for a couple of years, at an average cost of close to $50 a day. So I thank TPR for introducing me to this option.

Now that Elissa says old tickets can be exchanged, I might try to dig up a 20 year old one-day Park Hopper ticket that I never used in 1989. I think it is in a box of college memorabilia.

However, I can see how a large family, shelling out the cost of four 10-Day Park hoppers at the same time as travel and hotel accommodations could be a tough one-time hit. Then again any big vacation needs to be budgeted over time for a large family.

My sister just told me they bought MK tickets outside their hotel for $52 each. They were part of a park hopper package that previous guest used and turned in for cash. She told me they gave her a hard time, and asked were she bought the tickets. She said when the scanned her finger print they said it wasn't reading, and the girl that sold the tickets said not to worry and tell the attendent that the tickets got wet.

In the end they let her and her 2 kids in the park, she just had a nervous break down in the process!

If you use old tickets, beware of the finger print machine when getting in!

^Like Elissa suggested I would never try to use the old ticket before visiting guest relations, if I could find it. This ticket is 20 years old, I would never expect it to scan properly. Actually, I don't even think they scanned tickets back then. I think it has a perforation at the bottom that the ticket taker ripped off. I remember this because back in those days you had to get a hand stamp to switch between Epcot and Magic Kingdom and one of my friends stupidly left Epcot without getting his hand stamped.

^^Old tickets are WAY different then other people's tickets that your sister ended up getting (especially after they switced to the biometric system a while back in orlando).

My feeling is who really goes to WDW for one day and to one park without looking at the other options, Which seems to be Disney's whole scheme, get people to pay more up front now for a longer "cheaper" experience and get people to come back.

As for the DLR and the now absurd prices for their passes, DAMN! My pass is up in December and I might downgrade to a Deluxe (although we'll see when time comes as up $34.08 a month is still a bit much for a premium)

The monthly payments for socal residents is what sells so many of them. A lot of people think by putting down $30 and paying $14/month makes it much more affordable. Really though, a family of four looking at their credit card bill 11 months down the road and seeing another $60 payment probably doesnt find it so affordable then, but the sadness of our society discussion is for a different topic

There are still some deals out there for an AP.

At Costco you can purchase a Disneyland/DCA Deluxe AP for $260.00 (same price as at the park) but Costco includes a $50.00 gift card as well. So even if you want to buy the Premium pass, you can take the Deluxe pass + Gift card an upgrade it to the Premium. So on a family of four you'll save an extra $200.00, because of the extra Gift Cards.

I've had a Disneyland AP for many years, I've always found it to be a great value.

^^Old tickets are WAY different then other people's tickets that your sister ended up getting (especially after they switced to the biometric system a while back in orlando).

My feeling is who really goes to WDW for one day and to one park without looking at the other options, Which seems to be Disney's whole scheme, get people to pay more up front now for a longer "cheaper" experience and get people to come back.

As for the DLR and the now absurd prices for their passes, DAMN! My pass is up in December and I might downgrade to a Deluxe (although we'll see when time comes as up $34.08 a month is still a bit much for a premium)

Thats a good point. They really want to push sales in the direction of getting people to stay on the premises and stay there for a long while. I definitely can't recall ever hearing anyone say they were going to Disney for one day like that. When I lived down there it was all about the season pass options and everyone from out of town gets multiple day tickets it seems.

Southwest- 5 people= $780 each way= $1560

Rent a car- $30 a day/$10 gas a day= $120

Hotel (stayed on Disney property)- $180 per night with tax $190 = $570

WDW- for 1 day 3 adult 2 kids = $384 $12 for parking = $396

Food + drink (all day) $100

Animal Kingdom- 1 day 3 adults 2 kids = $384 = $12 for parking = $396

Food = $100

Blizzard Beach- $195 + $12 for parking = $207

Food = $90

This comes to $3529

after spending at last $8 per person for breakfeast each morning = $160

and 2 nights eating out for 5 at a Olive Garden & Chili's = $14

spending $ on fried dough and Cotton Candy for 3 kids for the trip = $50

= $3573

If you're staying on property, couldn't you have taken the Magical Express, saved yourself $156 (rental car, plus the $36 in parking fees) by using Disney transportation, and then used that $156 towards dinners somewhere on property, rather than Chili's or Olive Garden......Downtown Disney perhaps?

I'm not busting your nuts or anything, I'm just curious. I think if there's one thing that most TPR members can feel proud of, it's helping others save money when they plan their theme park trips. It's what a lot of us have learned to do best.

Until "Magic Your Way" was unveiled in 2005, old Disney park tickets never expire, at least that was true in Florida. Guest Relations has a binder that has examples of every kind of ticket the park sold all the way back to Day 1. In the past I have heard some stories of gate attendants being able to honor the old tickets right at the turnstile, but then you won't have anything to put into the FastPass Machine, now would you? (Ok, some ride hosts can push a magic button to issue ayou a FP on the spot if you are using an old ticket. ) However, I beleive the proper proceudre is to take the old tickets to Guest Relations and they will validate and determine how much credit is left on that ticket, and issue you a "Magic Your Way" ticket that mirrors what you had.

So if you have a 1989 General Admission ticket with even 1 day left on it, you can bring it to the park and either use the remaining days at no additional charge, or they will assess the tickets trade in value, and you can trade it in on a newer model. I've heard they will even take the old A-E ride tickets but they redeem them at face value off the price of a ticket, so its more worthwhile to hang onto those as collectors items. There is one big catch if you do have a 1989 ticket, it will only be honored at the parks you could have visted when the ticket was purchased. So no Animal Kingdom with that ticket, and I'm not sure if Disney/MGM Studios is an option for you. Of course old multi day tickets were all park hoppers so I'm not sure how that works. As always, best advice as Robb says is to research it, give the Mouse a call. The Mouse won't tell you how many days are left on a ticket over the phone, however, but I beleive 1989 tickets still had tear off stubs, so it should be self evident.

Regarding scalped or second hand tickets, thats the whole reason behind both the biometric machines and the barcode or mag stripe tickets. You simply can't tell by looking at a ticket how many days are left on it, and even if you could you can't be sure you can even use it. In the case above, was the nervous breakdown and risks of losing $52x3 worth it? In the end, the biometric machines are way faster than what Six Flags is doing for multi day tickets (Think Big Six Pass), which is to have the person go to the season pass processing center, fill out the registrtion card, stand in line, get a photo ID made, etc. Then again the photo for my Big Six is so bad and undistinquishable...

The monthly payments for socal residents is what sells so many of them. A lot of people think by putting down $30 and paying $14/month makes it much more affordable. Really though, a family of four looking at their credit card bill 11 months down the road and seeing another $60 payment probably doesnt find it so affordable then, but the sadness of our society discussion is for a different topic

I'll be honest, we used the payment system this year because we ended up buying 5 AP's (the 4 of us and my MIL).

But ... we did NOT use a credit card, we used our "check-card" so the amount comes directly out of our account each month and have thus not accumulated anymore debt. If they had charged interest or anything (which they don't) we wouldn't have done it.

/\ At least you didnt do the "Oh that card isnt accepted? Try this one....oh that ones maxed out, try this other one" like many people do

Ugh. These DL/DCA ticket prices are stressing me out. For only slightly more than what it will cost us for 3 or 4 day hoppers for our trip in January, we could buy FL resident seasonal passes for WDW.

Oh well. Once in a lifetime trip to Disneyland, then we can go back to our WDW passes in 2011.