TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Disney Raises Daily Ticket Price at WDW and DLR

Now, Disney could raise the price to $100, and people would easily pay it. Only at Disney do I think this could happen.

Even as it tries to lure recession-saddled consumers with deep discounts on hotel rooms and food, Walt Disney World is raising the price of its theme-park admissions to new heights.

Beginning Sunday, Disney World will increase the base price of a one-day, one-park ticket to $79 -- up $4, or 5.3 percent. The price of a similar ticket for a child between the ages of 3 and 9 will climb $5, or 7.9 percent, to $68.

Prices for the resort's more popular multiday-ticket packages will also rise, climbing between 2.6 percent and 4.7 percent. In keeping with Disney World's strategy of driving guests toward extra days in its parks -- rather than those operated by rivals Universal Orlando or SeaWorld Orlando -- the smallest increases are reserved for tickets good for four or more days.

What's more, Disney will raise the price of adding a "Park Hopper" feature to any ticket -- which allows a customer to visit multiple Disney parks in one day -- to $52, up from $50. The price of adding a "Water Park Fun & More" feature, which allows admission to secondary venues such as water parks and DisneyQuest, will also rise to $52 from $50.

Disney spokeswoman Kim Prunty said tickets represent good value for consumers, even after the increases. Disney last raised its admission prices in August 2008.

"We survey our guests regularly and, in our research, nearly nine out of 10 guests rate the value of our theme parks as good, very good or excellent," Prunty said. "Our pricing is based on the high-quality experience we deliver to our guests, and our guests continue to agree that a ticket to Walt Disney World represents a great entertainment value."

Still, Disney's latest price hike is not as aggressive as other increases in recent years, in a likely reflection of the challenging economic environment.

For example, the price of a five-day park-hopper -- which analysts say is among Disney's most frequently purchased ticket options -- will rise 2.9 percent to $280. That's the smallest percentage increase in at least four years, according to data compiled by the stock-research firm Pali Capital; Disney raised the price of the same ticket by 4.6 percent last year.

Disney's price increase could be a precursor to similar announcements by Universal and SeaWorld, because the three theme-park resorts have historically raised prices in concert with each other. A spokesman for Universal said the resort had nothing to announce Friday, while a spokesman for SeaWorld said it had no plans to raise ticket prices "at this time."

Link

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And let's not forget that VERY VERY few people actually go out and buy a one day one park ticket for $79.

And if they do, that's kind of dumb and their own fault!

Robb and I always get the 10 day Non-Expiring Hopper with Fun Options and they last us nearly two years and average out to an incredible price!

^^ Same here. We still have 3 days on 10 day passes we bought back in 2006!

Also, no one has mentioned this but they have extended their free dining promotion into December! Certain hotels qualify so check with WDW travel!

Even though that's a lot of money. If you think about everything the park has to offer and how one-of-a-kind it is, it's actually not to bad.

You also have to think how much it costs Disney to operate their parks everyday.

Yes, I think it's still worth it. And 4 dollars isn't that much of a different.

--James "One less coke in Disney World" Flint

I still have Disney tickets from 1995 when there was no expiration date. I haven't been to Disney World since, and I wonder if they'd accept them, although I'd have to upgrade to the adult ticket prices.

I didn't mean to make it sound bad, as this is Disney we are talking about. Their parks are unmatched in the industry, and you get your money's worth. Although when compared to other amusement parks were tickets are $40-$60, $79 seems like a great deal.

Edit, it was 95 when I went to Disney, not 96. Either way, its been a long time.

^I'm pretty sure Disney will still accept them. I remember going through something like this a few years back.

You'll have to go to Guest Relations first, but it shouldn't be a problem getting it converted over to a new ticket.

Yeah, we went to the MiceChat meet yesterday at Disneyland and while the general consensus was that the price increases came at an odd time, you'd be hard pressed to find somebody saying they weren't going to pay it.

Granted, what works for those of us that love the parks and what the GP will pay may not be the same thing.

AP's for our family of 4 at Disneyland will cost $160 more but when they were already costing us $1500 what's another $160? I can however see a LOT of Premium AP's downgrading to a Deluxe.

Which will mean a Saturday in July will be less busy than a Sunday in October. Which is good for the day visitors who spend more $$.

From what I remember, hasn't Disney raised their prices in August for the past several years? I remember getting a MouseSavers newsletter last month saying the increases were happening and to get your tickets now.

Just further proof that WDW is focusing their marketing strategy on the resort guest as they are offering the price breaks on rooms and food, and charging the 1 day guest more to make up for it.

But, it would be interesting to see just how much of their sales come from basic 1-park, 1-day no frills tickets. I bet its not that much. The 7-day ticket comes to just under $240, so add No Expiry to that, use what you need and save them in a safe place. Probably work out to around $40-$50/day even with the expensive no expiry option. Sure with the ticket tag system you can't scalp the remaining days (not that I would ever encourage such behavior), nor can you donate them to a friend or family memeber.

They probably really only *need* $30-$40 bucks from you but grossly overpricing the 1-3 day tickets might be enough to encourage somebody to exctend their stay to a longer trip, where they have more exposure to you for food, and merch. The folks with enough free cash to drop $79 per person for a 1 day, they are making up at the gate part of that lost revenue from being a short stay guest.

It is interesting though, every time Disney prices go into the next decade ($10, $20, $30, etc) people have screamed, "they are crazy", yet they keep raising the rates and we as park goers keep paying them.

It reminds me of that scene from Jurassic Park where the lawyer and Hammond are talking and the lawyer gets starry eyed thinking about just how high a ticket price they can charge, and people will pay it since nowhere else in the world can you experience real dinosaurs.

The only real problem I have with Disney raising prices is it will quickly be followed by Sea World and Universal matching them when in all reality those parks simply don't merit that kind of spending.

Disney is in a league of its own above everyone else, while those parks are a large step down imho.

I'd still rather visit a place like Knoebels for 1/5 the price.

The only real problem I have with Disney raising prices is it will quickly be followed by Sea World and Universal matching them when in all reality those parks simply don't merit that kind of spending.

Disney is in a league of its own above everyone else, while those parks are a large step down imho.

Que?

Sorry, I don't follow.

Que?

Sorry, I don't follow.

Essentially, I never found either of the Universal Parks or Sea World to be nearly as nice as the Disney parks.

Essentially, I never found either of the Universal Parks or Sea World to be nearly as nice as the Disney parks.

I think that's what I'm getting at though. "Nice," as in what? "Nice," as in they aren't as clean as Disney? "Nice", as in the employees aren't as friendly or helpful? "Nice," as in they aren't as highly themed? "Nice," as in the overall presentation of some of the most elaborate parks in the country isn't up to par?

I'm just curious what curve you're grading on here? I mean people obviously chose the parks for one reason or another. Ocean vs. movies. Big thrills vs. Epcot. The list goes on and on. But it's tough to say that any of the large parks in Central Florida (including BGT) don't give you bang for the buck.

Of course it is your opinion, and that's cool and all, but I think saying the others are "a step down" is quite a stretch. As long as they all continue to provide quality attractions, and continue to expand, or upgrade (Ray, HRRRRRRRRR, Simpsons, Toy Story Mania, Jungala, Harry Potterburg, HHN year after year, etc. etc.), a slight price increase, while frustrating, is certainly warranted.

I do think that $429 for a Disneyland Premium Pass is insane, though. Seems like they are going the Tokyo Disneyland route and "pricing themselves outside" of the local market.

However, I say that but Tokyo Disney doesn't offer (as far as I know) a discounted pass with black out days.

Especially when you consider the Florida locals pass is less than $100 more ($520.79) for how much more you actually get! The WDW Premium pass is good at *SEVEN* parks!

Again, another reason why we stopped going to Disneyland and spend our money on more frequent visits to WDW instead.

--Robb

I guess if I had to try to explain my opinion of the parks I'd sum up it up as Disney providing visitors a more complete experience with (imo) better attractions and guest service. Additionally I find the operations to be nicer, employees to be better/more friendly, and the attractions to be of a higher standard in theme and quality. I'd go on to say this is more true of the Magic Kingdom or Epcot, however, while Animal Kingdom and Studios have never done a whole lot for me personally. Obviously that's just my opinion based on my experiences at the parks, so its not worth a whole lot to anyone other then me.

Like you said its hard to put my finger on exactly why I have the opinion that one is better then others or more worth my time/money. I guess I just feel like I get more for my money at my favorite Disney parks then I do at the other Orlando parks, so I'm not a huge fan when they all raise prices. Generally I think that I'd be more comfortable spending a bit less to go to Universal or Sea World for a day then Disney.

I guess I just feel like I get more for my money at my favorite Disney parks then I do at the other Orlando parks, so I'm not a huge fan when they all raise prices. Generally I think that I'd be more comfortable spending a bit less to go to Universal or Sea World for a day then Disney.

Well if you look at the pricing plans, I don't think Sea World or Universal are anywhere near as expensive as Disney.

WDW's 7 day park hopper is $304 or $43 per day.

The same ticket over at Universal is $99 or $14 per day.

Now granted, people don't normally *need* 7 days at Universal, but even if you bought that ticket and only went for TWO days that's still much cheaper than Disney's two day park hopper at $221 each.

And as far as locals go, you can get a Universal Pass good every day at both parks with parking for $229. And that pass even gets you food and merch discounts.

IMO, that's more in line with how I feel Disneyland Resort's pricing should be. I feel that Disneyland Resort is slightly under par from Universal Orlando, but the equivallent Disneyland Resort pass almost double.

Yeah, all the Orlando parks are expensive, but I never felt like I wasn't getting my money's worth from any of them.

--Robb

The problem is, Disneyland got themselves backed into a hole with the AP program.

There are now more than 700,000 AP's for Disneyland. That's INSANE. They are trying to drop the number of AP's down, but at the end of the day the only way they are going to do it is to drop the two SoCal AP options and just have the Premium and Deluxe. Or even just the Premium.

I remember not to many years ago (I want to say 2002) when the Premium AP was only $200. Now it's more than doubled since.

I absolutely agree with Robb that the FL AP's are a MUCH better deal. Even just the regular one without the waterparks is better. Not only do you get 2 additional parks, but the hotel discounts by themselves make them MORE than worth it. When we had our WDW AP's we made 2 trips to FL (a 4-day trip and a 10-day trip) and just the discounts alone almost paid for one of the passes. (we didn't get AP's for the kids since they only went on the 10-day trip).

Gregg "Still waiting for the "all US Parks" Disney AP". C.

Hmmm.... I guess I'm out on a limb here by my self. I have visited WDW 9 times in my life span. The first time was when I was 4 years old (not going to lie, i don't remember much of it) the second time was when I was 6 "now that experience has stuck with me for life". I will agree that WDW gives you an experience like no other. However, with the recent economic struggles that this country has endured, it is absurd that they can raise their prices twice in 2 years.

I will say this... Disney is not stupid. They expect to make an increase in profit. Why wouldn't they when they haven't added a new major attraction in over 10 years (I'm only considering the Magic Kingdom).

Let's be serious... us middle aged Americans still have that Magic Disney experience in logged in our heads. That is what Walt himself had in mind when he built Disney. But, it's only worth the price of admission once. After that... it's us adults mesmerized by our past experiences, hoping our kids have the same life long mesmerizing experiences we did.

Let's be serious... I live in Boston. The price to bring my family of 5 to WDW for 3 days would cost over $5,000. Let me repeat that... FIVE GRAND!!! I can take my family to the white mountains, while going out to a 5 star restaurant 5 days in a row while staying in a upscale hotel for 7 days for that amount of cash. I could also take them to 2 local theme parks, and a water park for that kind of money.

I guess I'm a little bitter at the fact that I can't afford to bring my family to Orlando for a vacation. However, I look at value... and spending $365 to visit 1 park for a day isn't worth the price of gold (that isn't including lunch or dinner which would cost us at least another $120).

So my thoughts... Disney is completely over rated. I guess if you are independently wealthy, than it might be. It's just not for us average Americans!!!

^$5,000 for three days for 5 people? Damn, is that staying in the castle? Plane tickets from Boston in October are around $200 per person. You can stay in a moderate resort for around $150 per night with the fall promotion and even get free dining if you stay 5 days. Our 5 day/ 5 night trip in October staying at the Coronado Springs and getting the free meal plan was $1,500 for two adults (+one two year old). Plane tickets for me from Memphis is the killer...around $345 per person.