TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Boy drowns at at Kalahari Resorts, Sandusky water park

http://www.cleveland.com/crime/index.ssf/2009/08/boy_drowns_at_sandusky_waterpa.html

SANDUSKY — A 3-year-old Michigan boy drowned Sunday afternoon at a Sandusky water park, according to the Erie County Sheriff's Office.

A lifeguard found Hassan Itani, of Dearborn, unresponsive about 3:15 p.m in an outdoor pool at Kalahari Resorts, said Capt. Paul Sigsworth.

The lifeguard and a paramedic on staff performed CPR on the toddler until help arrived.

Hassan was taken to Firelands Regional Medical Center in Sandusky, where he was pronounced dead a short time later, Sigsworth said.

"It appears to be a tragic accidental drowning," Sigsworth said. The county coroner will make a final ruling on the boy's cause of death.

Sad. My thoughts and prayers go to all those involved.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sad story, but the article I read on it made it sound like that it might have been preventable. While accidents like this can happen anywhere, supposedly, the resort has been cited by the state branch that monitors amusement parks for safety violations in the past. I think many of them had to do with there being to few lifeguards.

Forget the lifeguards, THREE YEARS OLD!?!?

At a waterpark I would be attached to my three year old!!!

Parents have to have some responsibility here too, I wouldn't trust some 16 year old lifeguards to keep an eye on my toddler!

I am completely AMAZED everyday how many lost children we have at Cowabunga Bay that are 3 years old and even UNDER!!!

Why are these parents not watching their kids and how long does it take you to realize that your toddler is not right next to you???!!!!

It is very sad and scary that things like this happen.

I am completely AMAZED everyday how many lost children we have at Cowabunga Bay that are 3 years old and even UNDER!!!

Why are these parents not watching their kids and how long does it take you to realize that your toddler is not right next to you???!!!!

Because, when they pay the admission price, you guarantee them that you will babysit their kids and make sure they are safe.

^Exactly, I'm just now starting to trust my 7 year old neice to be alone (and only for a moment) in my parents 3 ft. deep (Estimate) jacuzzi. I couldn't imagine how worried I would feel if I lost track of my 3 year old at a water park!

Agreed with Elissa. 3 years old??? Uhm, they wouldn't be more than 2 feet away from me at ANY time, if not holding my hand the ENTIRE time.

My kids are now 13 and 11, and we've just now started to let them ride things at Disneyland by themselves. But we still don't let them wander, they have to check back in with us after every ride. And the only times were not WITH them is when we are visiting with friends and they are bored.

Forget the lifeguards, THREE YEARS OLD!?!?

At a waterpark I would be attached to my three year old!!!

Parents have to have some responsibility here too, I wouldn't trust some 16 year old lifeguards to keep an eye on my toddler!

Completely agreed....I just took my 9 year old daughter to Dorney and stayed by her the whole time in the wavepool(I just worry too much). How do you let a 3 year old alone for enough time for this to happen?

I work in retail part-time, you'd be amazed at how young children are who are not with their parents. Its even worse when you don't hear a parent screaming around for them...then they just come up and go "OH THERE YOU ARE"(like 5 minutes later). I really have to keep my mouth shut...lol....

Not going to lie, but something like this was bound to happen. Kalahari has been having lifeguard issues for the past couple of months. They can not keep enough lifeguards to keep the entire park open. Usually the "old" side of the park will be closed down simply because there is no one there to work. They have a new approach to teaching the new guards how to do things, and clearly it is not very effective. Anyways, to end my rant... It sucks that it happened, but as a former Kalahari lifeguard I must say that I am not the least bit shocked.

~Matthew

Tragic, but agreed with the rest of you, once again where were the parents? It's bad enough kids can get killed at fairgrounds where they're at least slightly safer and less likely to get hurt, but losing a 3 year old in a warterpark? The parents should have not let the kid out of their sight, or even arms reach tbh.

My prayers go out to the family, the workers, and the people of CF because you know they all have been affected by this horrific incident.

Quoted to save this.... Apparently Cedar Fair is very empathetic.

Anyway, this is tragic, but as it's been said, I'm shocked the parents let a 3 year-old child out of their sight at a waterpark.

-James Dillaman

This was a tragedy and my prayers go out to the family and the faculty. This is a situation where you can point fingers at everyone and most likely they won't come up with who is responsible. The parents should not have let a 3 year old out of arms reach, but there should have been more lifeguards on watch....It's a bad situation. When I stayed at the resort everything seemed so organized and it looked like there where a good amount of guards on watch with 3 guards on each side of the wavepool, 2 guards on top of each waterslide tower and even more on the raft tower and 2 at the bottom....It honestly seemed like there were more guards there then any waterpark Iv'e been to.

This reminds me of what happened at CGA a couple years ago with the wave pool drowning...parent soaking up rays on a lawn chair, 4-year-old kid in the 2-foot area (pretty far into the wave pool actually) and let's top off that the pool was probably crowded. Come on, parents...watch yer kids!

A couple weeks ago, we threw my little niece's birthday at a local aquatic center. We all made sure that the 2-year-old niece was under constant supervision and someone in the pool with her at all times, practically holding onto her so she doesn't wander too far (and she had a life vest on). Same when she's in our hot tub at home, also with a floaty bathing suit.

My prayers go out to the family, the workers, and the people of CF because you know they all have been affected by this horrific incident.

Why would Cedar Fair care about this? They don't own Kalahari.

Shame this happened, but parents really need to be more responsible for their children.

but there should have been more lifeguards on watch....

It honestly seemed like there were more guards there then any waterpark Iv'e been to.

How do you reconcile these two statements? They seem at odds with one another.

The sad fact is that there are a LOT of horrible parents out there who turn their kids loose on the world and expect everyone else to pick up their slack. Drowning is not something that takes place in an instant. It takes time. And thus this was most likely not the result of an instant of inattention, but rather gross negligence of the parent(s).

It just sucks that the kid has to pay the ultimate price for their parents stupidity. I think we're going to see more mandatory life jacket policies for kids at water parks in order to protect the kids and parks from stupid parents.