TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

CARS! The Car Super Thread

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a bit confused, while I will never buy a Hummer ( I should not say that, everytime I do, I end up with that car, damn Buick Skylark), anyone should be free to do so, I love cars, and understand, when you see something you like, no matter how impractical, its special.

I just bought a new car

I am getting slightly better mileage than a Hummer, at about 32mpg, which is above EPA woo for Manual trans, anyway, I do like the view out my front door now

2011 Kia Soul

2003 Hyundai Tiburon GT V6

1976 Camaro 350 with Turbo 350 trans and a ratchet shifter, fun fun fun

I love my Soul, so happy I got it, went from a 2000 Tiburon to this, funny, same beta 2.0 cast irom 4 cyl engine, its a tank of an engine, my tib had 170,000 miles and still ran awesome

Here is how you replace a water pump on the OM617 in a 300TD:

Start by loosening the alternator belt that runs to the pulley. You don't have to remove it yet, as long as it is loose. Then remove the bolts that hold the fan on to the pulley. I have two removed here, but there are four total. You should be able to slide the fan off after taking off three bolts and loosening the fourth.

Disconnect the fan shroud so that not only will you be able to remove the fan, but also so that you have more room to work with.

Tada!

See how much space you have now?

Remove the belt and the pulley from the water pump. I have the larger alternator on Norm (AL129x I believe) so it was easier for me to remove the pulley with the belt still on, just loosened, then it would be to remove the belt first.

Give this thing a good cleaning before you put it back on!

Next up is to drain the coolant from the radiator. Try to do this on a level surface or point the nose of the car down. I didn't and it resulted in more coolant coming out of the water pump when I went to disconnect it.

Before removing the water pump, remove the crossover tube that runs out of the block. It's hard to get a picture of it on the engine, but this is what it looks like.

It bolts in to here...

...and here.

Remove the five bolts that hold the water pump on and hit it with a mallet to knock it free from the housing.

WARNING:

The bolts that hold the pump on are most likely deformed and need to be replaced!!! I made the mistake of not checking this and sheared a bolt when trying to put the new pump on!!!

The thread pitch is 6.1 and you can find these bolts at ACE Hardware for .27 cents each. Do yourself a favor and get new bolts!!!

Once the pump is out, remove as much of the old gasket as possible from the housing. I used sandpaper to remove it, and it came off easily. Failure to do so will result in coolant leaks from the new gasket not sealing properly.

Much better!

Old pump vs. new pump. I bought a Laso brand pump, and it is an identical match to the original pump. It's made in Germany, and while slightly more expensive then other pumps, I feel it's totally worth it to have a quality part!

Place the gasket on the pump. The gasket can only fit on one way due to the holes in the pump.

Mount the new pump on with your NEW bolts! I can't stress enough how necessary new bolts are! I torqued all five bolts down to 8 ft/lbs.

Once the pump has been mounted reconnect the crossover tube.

Replace the belt and pulley on to the pump. I found that it helps to have one bolt threaded in to place before placing the fan shroud back in. This makes it easy to line up the pulley and water pump, but also give you somewhere to put the fan on to.

Put the fan shroud back in to place, but do not connect it in to place until the fan has been put back in! It give you a little more wiggle room to mess with.

Replace the fan, refill with coolant, and you are done!!

Some say that removing the radiator is necessary to do this job, and really it isn't. I had to do it in order to get my easy-out in to the broken bolt, and while it does give you a lot of room you don't need it to get the pump out.

And man, that is nowhere near as "classy" as the Crown Vic, looks more like a fat, boxy Prius...which is a very, very bad thing.

Because taking a NYC cab was ever "classy"??

I like it. A cab is supposed to be functional, not glamorous.

Colin, love the play-by-play. I wish I had your "under the hood" knowledge.

And man, that is nowhere near as "classy" as the Crown Vic, looks more like a fat, boxy Prius...which is a very, very bad thing.

Because taking a NYC cab was ever "classy"??

Well, yeah, I'd say so. The NYC cab as a Crown Vic has been a symbol of the city for years, and the car itself was legendary due to its use for cabs and cops across America. This thing just looks...hideous, if I do say so myself, and not fitting for the legacy that the Crown Vic left behind.

Somewhat unrelated, but has anyone seen the Ford Taurus SHO that's supposed to replace the police Crown Vics? It's actually pretty neat looking.

^Finally somebody is doing this. I know that they are great for the environment and good cars and such, but to me - hybrids like the Prius and that Honda are just funny looking. These still have that wonky hybrid rear end - but look a HELL of a lot better!

^Finally somebody is doing this. I know that they are great for the environment and good cars and such, but to me - hybrids like the Prius and that Honda are just funny looking. These still have that wonky hybrid rear end - but look a HELL of a lot better!

They do look pretty weird. I would never want a Prius but the Honda hybrids look nice. But maybe I'm just biased? I love Hondas...