TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

CARS! The Car Super Thread

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was having a conversation with someone a few weeks ago about how you don't see Hummers on the road nearly as often anymore, speculating that it was due to the ridiculousness of the vehicle, the ~10mpg, the fact that it was a 60k plastic car, unreliable etc etc... we had thought people had gotten smart enough to avoid the things.

And then you showed up.

I was having a conversation with someone a few weeks ago about how you don't see Hummers on the road nearly as often anymore, speculating that it was due to the ridiculousness of the vehicle, the ~10mpg, the fact that it was a 60k plastic car, unreliable etc etc... we had thought people had gotten smart enough to avoid the things.

And then you showed up.

I am not trying to start an argument or anything like that. I just want to state my reason behind buying one. . .

First of all, you are totally right. You do not see nearly as many any more. They are huge, and very difficult to drive in traffic, or try to fit into parking spaces. But I like that. I like the size of the car, and I love the challenge of trying to drive it on a day to day basis.

Second of all, the gas mileage is not as bad as most people make it out to be. The gas mileage is very comparable to a Dodge Ram, a Ford Expedition, a Nissan Armada, or a Cadillac Escalade, and you see many more of those cars than you do Hummer's. (After Driving one for a week in day today life my average MPG was 12.9, while my mother averages 13 in her Ram, and the Escalade that I drove for a week averaged 11.2)

Price? . . . I would NEVER spend 60k on a car. This one is preowned, its a 2007 and it is in the Mid 20's.

So as I have been shopping and saving for a car, I have also been doing my research on cars, and comparing the cars that I was debating between. In the end the Hummer came out on top.

~Matt

And then you showed up.

I am not trying to start an argument or anything like that. I just want to state my reason behind buying one. . .

First of all, you are totally right. You do not see nearly as many any more. They are huge, and very difficult to drive in traffic, or try to fit into parking spaces. But I like that. I like the size of the car, and I love the challenge of trying to drive it on a day to day basis.

Second of all, the gas mileage is not as bad as most people make it out to be. The gas mileage is very comparable to a Dodge Ram, a Ford Expedition, a Nissan Armada, or a Cadillac Escalade, and you see many more of those cars than you do Hummer's. (After Driving one for a week in day today life my average MPG was 12.9, while my mother averages 13 in her Ram, and the Escalade that I drove for a week averaged 11.2)

Price? . . . I would NEVER spend 60k on a car. This one is preowned, its a 2007 and it is in the Mid 20's.

So as I have been shopping and saving for a car, I have also been doing my research on cars, and comparing the cars that I was debating between. In the end the Hummer came out on top.

~Matt

Ignorance at its finest.

Some lovely facts you probably don't know and haven't bothered to look into.

Some other COOL things to know! (Look at #2!)

Just in case you're wondering, owning a car that big doesn't make you more manly nor does it make you look cool. It makes you look like an ignorant idiot. I drive a minivan and at even 20 mpg combined I'm annoyed at how often I need gas. If you have $20some thousand to piss away that's cool, if you're willing to have to pay an extra $4000 per year on gas then you're just dumb. Not to mention that even with that (very weak) V8 you're still going to move really damn slow.

If you're going to get something crappy and made of plastic with horrendous gas mileage at least get something people won't want to key you or slash your tires because of. Id est a Chrysler Aspen (hey, you may actually look cool since most people don't know what they are) or a Ford Flex or hell even a Honda Pilot if you strictly want the box-on-wheels, trying to look different (and possibly idiotic) style.

I have been saving for a new car for a while now, and I have been shopping around while saving. I think I finally found what I am going to get. Kind of excited about it...

~Matt

I know some people are calling you ignorant for your choice, but enjoy your new car. It's no worse than a Sequoia, Expedition or Suburban. You are an adult and earned your money and should spend it how you see fit, not what based on others will think of you.

On to Scott's topic the 1980's are not the best decade to be born in if you are looking for exciting cars, but one of my faves.

Second of all, the gas mileage is not as bad as most people make it out to be. The gas mileage is very comparable to a Dodge Ram, a Ford Expedition, a Nissan Armada, or a Cadillac Escalade, and you see many more of those cars than you do Hummer's.

All of which are equally pointless to own, with the exception of the Ram (if you're a construction worker or have a need to tow things).

Price? . . . I would NEVER spend 60k on a car.

By the time you're finished driving this one, you pretty much will have. Think about it.

I'm currently researching ways to piss away my money as well. I'm debating between throwing it off the Grand Canyon Skywalk, building a KKK museum in South Central L.A., or selling all my belongings and buying William and Kate a nice wedding gift.

Hey at least the car will match his teeth!!!!

This is the single greatest response ever posted to TPR.

^ Cool. Tell him I like the way that article was written and laid out.

The Beetle is like the 911. It's doomed to always look basically the same. If either company dared change it dramatically, it'd get the "New Coke" reaction from its fan base.

Second of all, the gas mileage is not as bad as most people make it out to be. The gas mileage is very comparable to a Dodge Ram, a Ford Expedition, a Nissan Armada, or a Cadillac Escalade, and you see many more of those cars than you do Hummer's.

All of which are equally pointless to own, with the exception of the Ram (if you're a construction worker or have a need to tow things).

The other SUVs get closer to17-20 mpg, so yeah, 9-11mpg isn't that far off on a nominal level, but its almost twice as much more!

Though I do disagree with all big SUVs being pointless - they can seat a lot of people if needed for a big family, just like a van. Not saying that I like vans or SUVs but they aren't totally impractical IMO (though, in his case - YES!)

The best thing about the Hummer? They had some 'cute' commercials.

btw, have we effectively determined that the Camaro IROC-Z was the only decent car to come out of the 80s??

btw, have we effectively determined that the Camaro IROC-Z was the only decent car to come out of the 80s??

Pretty much, although I'll throw in the RX-7 and Audi Quattro as food for thought.

No MR-2 love?

And just realized VWVortex is his website. Silly me.

Edited by mcjaco

And then you showed up.

~Matt

No mention of the fact you claimed you used to own one? Or was it two? Or three? You posted in July of 2006 how you finally got your 2007 H3, then a month later posted how you wrecked your 2006 h3 and special ordered a 2008 h3. Seems like a pretty important fact to overlook in justifying your decision.

Edited by Jew

Pretty much, although I'll throw in the RX-7 and Audi Quattro as food for thought.

No MR-2 love?

And just realized VWVortex is his website. Silly me.

MR2 - 2001 was the year Okay, I'm biased and it is the MOST impractical car I have ever owned, but my SPYDER is one of my favorite things in the world and I will drive it until the wheels fall off, buy new wheels, and drive it some more.

^ I'm partial to the 80's design.

My Dad was in the market for the then very new Camry, and I couldn't keep my eyes off this car when we were in the showroom. I still try to convince my wife that I should ba allowed to get one!

although I'll throw in the RX-7 and Audi Quattro as food for thought.

Quattro <3 <3

Anyway, cars from my birth-year (1973) .. Volvo P1800. My first car was a hand-me-down (from my parents) 1978 Volvo that we bought new (when I was 4!), so I have a real soft-spot for that brand.

Volvo_1800ES_73_46_0309_1.jpg.45800e13d202d60caaa39b2f903329f4.jpg

Joe - I've glanced at that Bugatti for the last couple days, and I still can't decided whether I like it or not.

David & Matt - The MR2's just never did it for me. But David, I LOVE that you're gonna drive yours until the wheels fall off. That's a true car owner!

Cameron - I just saw one of those at a car show in Chattanooga this past weekend, and it was in great condition too! It definitely stood out amongst the sea of American muscle on display there. I wish I had taken a pic of it now.

^ Once I find "the car" that keeps me smiling year after year - I'll keep it until it dies. My Supra (1985) was similar as was my '79 280ZX (totalled that one )

^^^ish

Cameron - I've always loved that style of Volvo. Sporty but wagonny (I know - I totally made up that word,) at the same time.

^^^^^ I loved all three generations of the MR2. I bought the 2001 Spyder for the rag-top. It was initally going to be a Corvette, but my Blazer at the time was dying and I was pissed at Chevrolet - then it was going to be an RX-8 - but the one I wanted was sold. By that point I had a bug up my butt that I was getting a sports car THAT DAY, so I found mine through CarMax and bought it.

D.