TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

CARS! The Car Super Thread

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That Volvo system is great from a pure technical perspective, but do we really need to give people another reason to not concentrate on driving? I'm of the belief that stick-shift should become the standard once again, as stick drivers tend to be much less distracted. You can't eat cereal and do your make-up, while sending e-mail and watching Jersey Shore while driving a stick.

Driving is serious and dangerous; the easier it is to forget that, the more people will be killed.

Cameron.

I liked the study proving that cell phone bans have done nothing to improve crash rates - all they do is line government pockets. People are going to be distracted.

I remember one person saying he didn't want a stick because he couldn't talk on the phone and drive at the same time. I still believe some people can multitask like that, and some simply can't. Those who can't will still manage to be distracted enough to cause accidents, cell phone or not.

^ The cell-phone ban is just stupid - I'm happy there's now proof that it doesn't make a difference. It also seems pointless to ban cell-phones when buses are driving around with giant video screens bolted to them which are *designed* to be distracting, not to mention the video bill-boards (bill-boards in general need to go away).

Cameron.

^Regardless of what that study says, I have personal proof that texting can lead to serious accidents. My car was parked on my street, a small side street with only 55 houses and a 25mph speed limit, and a girl, texting, plowed into my car at 50mph. Her headlights were off and it was raining outside and when they police asked her how she managed to forget to turn them on she said she was distracted by texting and since she couldn't see the road, she didn't realize how fast she was going. If the cell phone ban my city put in place had already been put in place and she followed it, I would still have my car. And I'm not the only person that's had similar experiences. I have several friends that have been either the victim or cause of accidents that resulted from texting while driving. If some study says that people will still be distracted so it doesn't do anything, I'm not sure I believe it. Someone distracted by looking down at their phone is more of a hazard than someone distracted by something that's on the road with them. Still distracted like the study says, but their eyes are still looking out the windows, which is closer to where they are supposed to be looking. Using a cell phone to talk is one thing, but the bans are mostly because of texting. You can't look at the road and the cars around you when texting, but you can when you are talking. So to argue and say it's just a money ploy for the government is quite a ways off from the truth. I'm without a car because of texting, and that's proof enough that people shouldn't be able to text while driving.

10431_131841698554_604618554_2436803_8368232_n.jpg.43ec84b288bf7103d032e89936809a84.jpg

This is because of texting.

Yeah, going to buy new tires this week, maybe. My Jeep needs new fronts, and the local tire place is having a buy 2 get 2 free. 300 for 4 now or 600 later. I am trying for this week. Going to buy them, but wait a couple weeks to get them on as I am going to buy some used Jeep Wrangler rims off craigslist.

If the cell phone ban my city put in place had already been put in place and she followed it, I would still have my car.

How do you know she would have followed it? How do you know she would have turned her lights on and slowed down?

Texting is a scapegoat for stupidity. Yes, it takes your concentration off the road, but to be blamed for not turning your headlights on? That's just a bad driver who won't take responsibility.

I'm sorry your car was hit. I just don't believe in regulation of stupidity. Why not regulate how much sleep we need to get before driving? Fatigue plays a role in accidents too... including one I caused!

^I'm not saying that it's the end-all-be-all of regulations to stop accidents. But she literally drove from the end of my street to my house before hitting my car. She was texting as she left my neighbor's house and forgot to turn her headlights on as a result. That's from her own mouth. And I said "and if she followed it" for the reasons you stated. It's not going to stop everyone, but a 16 year old girl may be a little less likely to use her cell phone to text if she was worried about breaking the law. She hadn't had enough time to be distracted by anything else since she was in the car alone for only 30 seconds. Stupidity is stupidity and will still find its way into the car, but still, trying to stop people from using EXTREMELY distracting things, such as a phone to text, is an attempt to stop people from having the means to cause such problems. The examples people always use such as putting on makeup, reading the newspaper, etc. happen far less often than using a cell phone. People use cell phones constantly these days. They don't put makeup on every ten minutes. They don't read the newspaper every ten minutes. But young people do use their phones that often. I still don't see why people get so upset when they ban things that help create a safer place for them. And places that enforce the law strictly and result in less people using their phones are safer places to drive. I've almost been run into by multiple people talking or texting on their phones, yet I've never been almost run into by people doing all the countless other things people use as example to argue against cell phone bans.

So she was able to turn the car on, but was too distracted to turn her headlights on? I call bullshit on her part. It takes the same or less effort to turn headlights on than it does to start a car, and in many cars the headlight switch is next to the ignition.

She would have gotten in a crash eventually because she is a 16 year old girl - you won't get an argument out of me that a new driver definitely shouldn't be worried about a phone in the car. But when I hear she didn't turn her headlights on, I go to blame inexperience and/or being a poor driver than being texting. Blaming it on the phone is easier than saying "I'm sorry officer, I didn't know you needed to use headlights when its raining". She probably didn't have her wipers on either, did she?

Here in CA, the fine for the first offense is pretty small---$25, I think. Then it LEAPS to $50 for the second offense. Not exactly a deterrent. But I think it wouldn't matter what the fine is; people are going to use their phones while driving because that's what people do. See, they don't get it.

I've always taught my daughter that when you're driving, that's what you're doing. And all you should be doing.

The problem is that some people just can't shut up.

Eric

^^Few things.

One. If you get in a car and plan on going anywhere you will have to turn on the car, that's obvious. So no matter how distracted you are, you're going to get the car on, so the proximity means nothing.

Second, if she was texting from the time she left the house to the time she started driving, it's very possible to forget something as simple as turning the headlights on.

Third, if she was honest enough to tell the officers that she was texting and that's why she got in an accident, what good would it do to lie about the reasoning behind forgetting her headlights? They knew she forgot them which was obvious, so why lie about why she forgot them considering that it was a secondary fine at the time meaning lying about the whole thing and just blaming it on inexperience would have been more beneficial to her.

Fourth, just because someone is a 16 year old does not mean they will get in an accident. I've never been in an accident when I was driving and I made it all the way from 15.5 to 21 so far so that argument is bull crap. Unless you're trying to imply that all girls get in accidents at a young age...

Fifth, her inexperience definitely did have something to do with it. I'm not denying that. She was inexperienced in the sense that she didn't realize how hazardous distracted driving is. But she found her way around several other parked cars and proceeded to answer a text and not notice mine. Obviously regardless of any outside conditions, such as the dark, or the rain, etc., she was still capable of driving around parked cars. So something else must've caused the accident, and hey guess what? Texting at the precise time she hit my car. She looked down to see what the text said after driving around one car and because of this didn't see mine. End of story.

Sixth, don't try to come back at me with questions such as, "She probably didn't have her wipers on either, did she?" It's immature and doesn't make for good discussions. When I went outside to help her out after I heard the accident, the phone was in her hand still. She had very obviously just been in the process of texting. Trying to argue with me about a subject that I experienced first hand is ridiculous considering I was there when it happened and saw the after effects. Texting is extremely distracting. That's it. I see no reason why it shouldn't be against the law while driving. Nothing is that important that it can't wait until you are out of the car or even stopped at the next stoplight.

One. If you get in a car and plan on going anywhere you will have to turn on the car, that's obvious. So no matter how distracted you are, you're going to get the car on, so the proximity means nothing.

fair, but I would think turning the headlights on is pretty much a habitual thing to do after turning the key.. unless you're inexperienced!! Like, say, maybe a 16 year old girl?

Unless you're trying to imply that all girls get in accidents at a young age...

I basically was

Sixth, don't try to come back at me with questions such as, "She probably didn't have her wipers on either, did she?" It's immature and doesn't make for good discussions.

Is there a lawsuit involved in this case? Cause I would *guarantee* you that your lawyer would ask her a question like that, in attempt to paint her as a poor driver.

Trying to argue with me about a subject that I experienced first hand is ridiculous considering I was there when it happened and saw the after effects.

You are oversensationalizing this because you lost a car in an accident involving texting (not to mention all the other factors of speed, weather, inexperience). To someone like me who has never been involved in an accident like this, or even known anyone, the issue doesn't have that 'personal touch'. You're right, arguing with you really isn't going to change anything - your mind is set. I'm just making the libertarian case against texting bans for everyone else to read

Texting is extremely distracting.

Yes, it is, to varying degrees. Did I ever say it isn't?

I see no reason why it shouldn't be against the law while driving. Nothing is that important that it can't wait until you are out of the car or even stopped at the next stoplight.

Ever changed a CD while moving? Skipped your ipod? Eaten anything? Checked out a hot chick on the sidewalk? Read a billboard? Done anything distracting? There are lots of distractions when driving, and part of learning to drive is learning how to deal with them. Again, an inexperienced driver probably can't handle that, and should just concentrate on not hitting parked cars.

Here in CA, the fine for the first offense is pretty small---$25, I think. Then it LEAPS to $50 for the second offense. Not exactly a deterrent

lol. "Do you accept cash, officer?". Parking tickets can be more than that

^^I see where you are coming from, but all those distracting things listed can cause accidents. And one of those things is texting. I don't see why that can't be the cause of the accident. Yes, she was inexperienced and that certainly led to her not paying enough attention, remembering the lights, etc. as the texting was probably far more important to her than being a safe driver was. But at the same time, it was still because of texting that she let her stupidity get in the way. If I read a billboard and get in an accident because of it, it's because I was looking at the billboard. I feel it's as simple as that. I'm not trying to say your viewpoint doesn't mean anything to me, but I still feel the accident more than likely would have been avoided if she wasn't texting.

And no, there is not a lawsuit. My dad and brother were involved in a lawsuit stemming from my brother getting in an accident after sliding on ice when we were on the way home from school. It was a pain to deal with but thankfully it was thrown out of court as no evidence could be provided for any of the guy's claims. But it was still something that my family would not want to put someone through at such a young age over a car that's almost as old as she is. It's not worth it, she's alright, and I was nowhere near the car (thankfully I decided to leave it in the street since I didn't want to go out in the rain as that was around the time that I usually brought it back into my driveway and if I went to move it at that time I wouldn't be a happy camper right now).

And this is somewhat unrelated but I actually kind of laughed at most of the things you typed, not because they aren't things that people do, but because they're things my old car couldn't do lol. No CD player, no place to hook up an ipod, I don't let ANYONE eat in my car (I'm a neat freak lol) etc. Which is why losing my car wasn't that huge of a deal really. It upset me, yes, but at the time I was far more worried about the girl's safety and the car was getting tired as it was. It was a good car, but it was a 1994 Accord. It was getting to the end of its life. Which is why I'm happy I get to drive my dad's former car as it actually has all of these things and is done in such a manner to not distract you when driving. It has a direct connection for the iPod (which is all I ever use in the car now. No more radio and I never had CDs since they were pointless in my old car) and there are buttons right on the back of the steering wheel to change the volume, bass, etc. as well as changing songs and even scrolling through playlists, which is fantastic.

Oh yeah, and I only check out hot guys on the sidewalk

I liked the study proving that cell phone bans have done nothing to improve crash rates - all they do is line government pockets. People are going to be distracted.

I remember one person saying he didn't want a stick because he couldn't talk on the phone and drive at the same time. I still believe some people can multitask like that, and some simply can't. Those who can't will still manage to be distracted enough to cause accidents, cell phone or not.

There's no such thing as multitasking. The closest thing you can get to multitasking as they call it is the ability to manage your movements to do what is most important first. And although banning using a cell phone while driving hasn't had any impact on crash rates, it doesn't mean that it isn't a problem. So far it seems like everyone on the forum can give you an example of when people using cell phones have caused or almost caused a serious accident. Yes, there are other distractions that can cause accidents, but this one is one that the driver puts on themselves. To me, their are two solutions to this problem.Both of which are near impossible. A cultural change where we will actually talk to people and utilize the new technology in cars where you can use your voice to call people, all hands free. The second, which is even less likely to happen. Make cars fun to drive. Or at least make it so people won't be so afraid to learn manual. I'm sorry, I'm just sick of hearing people say "Texting/talking on the cell phone doesn't affect my driving" because it kind of does... significantly affect it.

This is what is the bigger problem with driving cars, in my opinion. It seems less and less people find driving to be fun. If you don't want to drive manual because you can't talk on the phone at the same time, then you value talking more than driving. I drive an '07 Cobalt Coupe LT with manual transmission, a performance intake, and strut bar and that I must say is fun to drive. If driving wasn't seen as a chore to many, I feel that that could significantly drop accidents.

• 2 weeks later...
Porsche 911 GT3 R Hybrid. This should be interesting to follow.

Just tell me, what´s the sense about a race-car with hybrid-technologie?

Believe me, I know what I´m talking about when I say that one of the main reasons to buy a porsche is the roaring sound when you start the engine or when you speed up! ....that sound is something a hybrid-car never would be able to create!

^^ Trust me, I'm with you on that one. While the technology itself is interesting, I see no point in converting traditional racing engines to hybrid power plants. I don't mind them doing it just to mess around for testing purposes, but it can't go beyond that. Part of the main allure of racing, and high performance street cars in general, is the power behind them and the sound they produce.

Good to see you posting again, Gerd! By the way, what do you think of the Porsche Panamera?

Some cars are just meant to flip the bird to the ozone layer.

As an aside, I have changed my views on texting while driving. No single event changed my mind, but I just got tired of it. I always looked at it from a personal liberties and responsibility choice, and there are just too many idiots out there who can't handle it, and most of them are young drivers like myself. I'm tired of people doing 15 under in the passing lane at 2am cause they are pounding away on their iphone. I won't defend them anymore, even though I do still think it is possible to both drive and text.

^^ I know you were asking Gerd, but I got to sit in one of those back in December at the L.A. Auto Show. Very interesting car. It'd be fun to take one out for a drive.

So Porsche has their coupes, an SUV, and now a sedan. When is their pickup truck and minivan coming out?

Eric

ok I've never seen an Audi I liked more than this (and yes, that includes the R8)

http://www.automobilemag.com/features/news/1002_2010_audi_rs5/index.html

If I had to pick one thing to critique, it would be the spoiler - I'd like to see how it looks down (assuming its powered and not fixed)

PS Panamera is an abomination to me, but I'm sure you knew that

^ Yeah, I pretty much knew you would loathe the Panamera. Needless to say, I'm not a fan either.

However, that RS5 is VERY nice. As a detailer, that front grille makes me cringe, but I really don't mind the spoiler that much. It kinda reminds me of the Bugatti Veyron's, in miniature form. Anyway, I'm sure you won't mind me adding some drool-worthy pics of Audi awesomeness.....

77213433.jpg.7c40fa86ea7b16114df9820e0292d1e2.jpg

23682942.jpg.a374910efa7e5a8478d5fdcea3062f02.jpg

13520409.jpg.c6d8a755a38929ff779c28a299936de9.jpg

91385523.jpg.4628248f775f99740fb6affb8e8b6ed6.jpg

87390138.jpg.9a559ff10ef7feca8cf9c1d382de0641.jpg