TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

CARS! The Car Super Thread

^^I'm definitely excited for the new Camaro and Challenger. I know a lot of people are not fans of the "retro" cars, but I am, especially these two. I've had the pleasure of seeing a black and an orange challenger driving on the highway. Definitely a head-turner.

At our weekly car meet a guy brought his new Challenger. Black on black with navigation and everything. Neat car, parked up beside a 1970 Challenger it looks similar, but not too similar. I really like it, expensive cars in Canada though. I saw one sitting on a used car lot (probably a speculator) wants $69,995 for it. Considering it starts at $44,995 + $1300 destination fee..that's some real mark up.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats way to much

If you wait a year or so, you could probably find one for around sticker new, depends on if they keep production numbers so small

The Camaro on the other hand will be about as expensive as the Mustang, and should sell very well

Rumor has it they are planning on putting a turbo 4 cyl to improve gas mileage, 260HP is still pretty good, and alot for a four cyl

Thats way to much

If you wait a year or so, you could probably find one for around sticker new, depends on if they keep production numbers so small

The Camaro on the other hand will be about as expensive as the Mustang, and should sell very well

Rumor has it they are planning on putting a turbo 4 cyl to improve gas mileage, 260HP is still pretty good, and alot for a four cyl

Plus for the 09' model year the Challenger gets a manual transmission.

I wouldn't mind what my friend has. A GTO, his is a 05 with 6.0 ls1, but i wouldn't mind a older one either. He is adding nitrous, cams, headers and long tube exhaust to it soon. He traded his SRT4 for it. The only bad part about it right now is the rims, ugly heavy chrome ones. He is trading this guy with a 04 GTO straight up for his rims.

His GTO with ugly rims

The GTO with the rims he is trading for.

I wouldn't mind what my friend has. A GTO, his is a 05 with 6.0 ls1, but i wouldn't mind a older one either. ...

Actually, the 6.0L in the '04 and '05 GTO is the LS2. The '04 GTO with the 5.7L is the LS1.

But, yeah, those are some hideous rims. I'd rather have one with the factory 18s.

Word to the wise, you guys might want to blank out your license plates before posting pictures.

You are traceable by them.

Sometimes I do. Sometimes I don't. Depends on my mood. Neither me nor any of my vehicles live at their registered address anyhow.

The truck has had TONS of online exposure over the years. Whether it be from pictures I've posted, or online show coverage to online magazine features or just pics that others have taken of it and posted. It's not something I've ever really worried about.

A friend of mine just bought an 05 GTO. It looks much better in person than pics.

As for myself I just bought an 06 Chrysler 300c. I really didnt want a V8, but I got a better deal on it than I would have on an 07 with only 4k less miles. Besides this had more options. So far Im loving it. Very few cars can I seat 5 more than comfortable plus a trunk, and still smoke cars when I want.

Just last night I heard a report that the nation, on average, has indeed slightly lowered its fuel consumption by driving less miles over the last month or so (I believe it was ABC nightly news?). Is it coincidence that locally our gas prices have dropped from $3.95 to $3.70 over the last week or so? Personally, I'm guessing there's at least some connection there.

Actually, it was going to come down, even if people continued to drive at the pre-$4 a gallon levels. The only reason oil got to $140 a barrel was because of oil speculators. The actual market driven price is like $78-80 per barrel, which is what it will eventually fall to (all this according to market studies and the president of OPEC).

Yay, I get my car back today. The mechanic is willing to take $100 off the final price if I pay cash. The grand total is just over $500, not too bad considering I left that car there for 5 days, had the transmission serviced and my main seal replaced. My car should run much better now, I hope.

My baby is an 1989 Honda Accord Lxi. It is my first car I ever owned, I bought it in 1998 when it was 9 years old.

She currently has 207,700 miles on her.

I hope to hold on to it for a good long while, but due to it's age I have had to put some work into it here and there. The last thing I replaced was the CV Joint and boot since it was shot.

You may ask why I still hold onto a 19 year old car as a daily driver, and it's simple.. I'd rather put my money into real estate rather than buying cars more often and losing money on the depreciation.

Here she is back in 2001. She has more rust and has been hit 3 times since the picture.

car2.jpg.26a3aa99571cd6a800388b6af1c85d6a.jpg

1989 Accord Lxi

Are you kidding? Jetta diesels have been around FOREVER! They are most certainly available and have been for pretty much as long as the Jetta has been around. They are flying off the lots, thats why you are pre-ordering one.

Um, no, See they were discontinued in 2005 and they are being rereleased in the US in August. Tell me that you've seen a fifth Generation Jetta with a TDI badge on the back.

In the USA at least, There is no Diesel version of the Jetta since the 05 until now. The Jetta will be rerelease with a TDI Badge

Oh you're absolutely right.

DSCN5873.JPG.5fe1c0e8c11eccc1fa21bb7a7b8d2af1.JPG

Oh wait, no I wasn't.

I have seen a fifth generation Jetta with a TDI badge on the back. There I said it.

DSCN5814.JPG.3ecb0c0f705538fb213a02c808c34e22.JPG

Sorry I was so mistaken.

DSCN5828.JPG.1e30022655f2314c2c117eef98b71a0c.JPG

You're absolutely right, no MkV Jetta TDI was ever built!

DSCN5817.JPG.222d566e9719e8316f3cee391ecefaaf.JPG

How could I have been so blind?

The Jetta TDI has been sold in Canada forever.

In the US when the Mark V Jetta was introduced the TDI was available in all but 5 states because of emissions regulations. But then they removed the special category that the TDI was registered under in those 45 states (God I hope I got that right..) in 2007. For 2008 VW is using things like Particulate filters so it can be sold in all 50 states for 2008.

For now I would say Diesel is the way to go. Sure it costs as much as gasoline, but your MPG is a lot better then the equivalent gas car. Plus you get a lot more torque...

• 4 weeks later...

Chevy just released the details of the production version of their electric car the Chevy Volt.

volt-interior01.jpg.a38da788bdd14bd2389ea6cb29a41f0e.jpg

The interior features two LCD screens (not traditional analog gauges), and can be had in White, Black or Green.

1718077564_Voltfront.jpg.1773c8a56a27553a54001437f74d7e72.jpg

The front of the car.

35117810_VoltRear.jpg.ade581542d5f1a84bdfedaffd9931d64.jpg

The rear of the car.

from the Volt's wiki page

[edit] Price

At the time of unveiling, the Volt project had been in existence for less than a year. The Volt was targeted to cost around US$30,000. As of April 2008, General Motors Vice Chairman of Global Product Development Robert Lutz was quoted as saying that the realistic unsubsidised price had risen to US$48,000[50][51], that he reckoned that US$40,000 might be possible, without making any profit, and that only government tax incentives could take the price tag nearer to US$30,000. When asked directly about the price later, Lutz indicated that this was a misquote - and said "The answer is that we don’t know."[52] As of August 2008, General Motors Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Rick Wagoner was quoted saying that the price of the Volt would likely be in "the mid to high 30's", suggesting a price of more than US$5,000 more than originally targeted. [53]