TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

CARS! The Car Super Thread

^^ Not all SUVs are bad. I've posted this already, but my 2002 CR-V (2.4L engine, four-speed automatic with overdrive) can get just over 30 mpg if I take it easy.

But to be fair, when you say "SUV," I know you're talking about the likes of Hummers, Escalades, Navigators, etc.

Eric

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeh my grandparents have a C-RV and it's great for them because it's higher up s they can get in easily, it can fit a years worth of shopping in it and it has seat warmers. When you're old, that's all that really matters

Small SUV if you will, and those are great, I'd put them in the same category as a wagon.

no one wants to call it a wagon because that's foul language in America

I've always considered my mom's car to be more of a wagon like vehicle than an SUV, and I really like the crossover breed of SUVs.

See to me the crossovers are the "worst of both worlds" .. They aren't as safe, nor do they handle as well as a car, they are less efficient, and have only a marginal amount of additional space. Why not just get a hatch or wagon? I'd put money on a VW Golf or Mazda 3 being able to carry just as much crap as an average crossover..

Cameron.

^ Perhaps.

I'm quite certain my Rav4 can hold more than my old Neon.

And to set the record straight, I wanted a Mazda6, and even test drove it multiple times. The wife wanted something that rode higher. Being the smart man I am, I decided not to cross her.

Just wait, it gets even better...

Took my car in before work and had to figure out the Burbank bus system to get to Universal Studios. Thought I had to take 2 busses and a train but there is a magic bus not listed online...that goes directly to Universal City! Thanks a lot.

Anyways, the mechanic says he's surprised my car hasn't caught fire. Apparently I've leaked about 3 quarts of oil and I'm lucky it didn't get on the catalytic converter or my car would be toast. He can't get to fixing it until next week but I'm advised not to drive it...just leave it there. Just to get to the main crankshaft seal he wants $570 in labor, then $10 in parts and finally another few hundred for putting it together and storing my car...

HELL NO!

My dad is looking at doing it ourselves this weekend...I hope so. I don't have that sort of money.

Well if Hummer does end up like not making H3's anymore than I can always buy an 2008 just not new I would prefer not to, but I am getting an H3 one way or another!

~Matthew

I seriously don't understand your logic, I'm not eco-hippy but I fail to see the up-side of a hummer. They are overly large (and surprisingly small inside, you seem to get more room inside a range rover), not particularly good off road, use far too much fuel and look disgusting.

Seriously, why do you want a hummer over all the other vehicles that outclass it in every respect (apart from the "I have a tiny penis but look at my HUGE car" aspect)

There is not really logic for why I am getting it. I want a Hummer and I am getting a Hummer! H3's are not that large, and they may not be the best in off roading, but why would I want to take a $35,000 car off the road? Why I want a Hummer of all vehicles? I think it might be half first car thing and half safety thing. Hummer was my first car and I loved it, and I really just want another one. Plus I was in a very bad car accident in a Hummer and was not to seriously hurt so I feel safe in one! I have a very large SUV now and I would never go to a smaller car! Having a large SUV also comes in handy sometimes. Like moving, or camping, or pissing people off by getting right on their a$$ when they just cut you off and they are in a tiny little Dodge Viper! Did that today you should have seen the reaction. They actually got out of the car at the red light to see if I had hit them I have to much fun in an SUV why would I want to change? As for the "I have a tiny penis but look at my HUGE car" statement... all I have to say is that is the last reason I would buy a Hummer!

Hummers are pretty decent off road, they have great ground clearances, a proper ladder frame, and good enough power, its all that heavy duty stuff thats brings the MPG down

If you want A "Proper" off roader don't buy land rover, get a jeep, still gets terrible mileage, but that thing can out do anything, except maybe the real H1 hummer

The real question should be, do I go off road enough to justify this purchase, there are people who live around Albuquerque who live in remote area's and NEED a off road vehicle, but if you live in a city, and never really off road, your wasting your money

If you want to spend that much money, buy a damn sports car, you can get a freakin Corvette. at least it gets 28MPG on the freeway, an can blow the doors off most things on the road, if your so inclined:)

I have never personally owned a 4x4 truck, and have always owned sports cars, We currently own 2 Hyundai Tiburons and a 76 Camaro, the Tiby's get 27MPG for the GT and 32 for my 2000 4cyl, uh the camaro get 14mpg, but we don't drive it much, its a project car

I defiantly do not go off roading to need a off road car, but I still want one! I would like to buy a sports car, but the way I drive a sports car would just be a death trap. As for a Corvette getting 28mpg, the H3 gets 20mpg not that big of a difference, and can run most things off the road! As for the comparison on gas millage... My car now gets 12mpg the Hummer gets 16mpg (city) that is a big enough difference to make me happy!

~Matthew

If you really want a Hummer, then buy one

It has become a focal point of hate for enviromentally friendly folks, and it doesn't always deserve it, like the Prius doesn't deserve all the love it gets, there are ALOT of Lead Acid batteries in the prius, not exactly enviromentally friendly there

I'm waiting for the newer tech hybrids with the new batteries, like the Chevrolet Volt, thats the type of car that can make a real impact on fuel consumption, I would use little to no gas with a Chevy Volt on my commute to work, well over 100mpg

I really hate trendy products, mostly because the hollywood stars that promote them do it for image, why don't they buy a Honda Civic Hybrid, its just as good as a Prius, oh thats right, it looks and drives like a normal car, no one will notice you have a hybrid.....

It has become a focal point of hate for enviromentally friendly folks, and it doesn't always deserve it, like the Prius doesn't deserve all the love it gets, there are ALOT of Lead Acid batteries in the prius, not exactly enviromentally friendly there

Please. Golf carts have been using lead acid batteries for ages. And I'm sure they're much more likely to present a threat to the environment than your Prius argument (not to mention the fact they SERIOUSLY outnumber them). Something tells me the Prius owners, and mechanics responsible for maintaining them aren't exactly disposing of the used ones improperly.

In fact:

Nearly 90 percent of all lead-acid batteries are recycled. Almost any retailer that sells lead-acid batteries collects used batteries for recycling, as required by most state laws. Reclaimers crush batteries into nickel-sized pieces and separate the plastic components. They send the plastic to a reprocessor for manufacture into new plastic products and deliver purified lead to battery manufacturers and other industries.

Many states have regulations in place requiring battery recycling. (Thirty-seven states in the U.S. require lead-acid battery recycling; making retailers collect used lead-acid batteries from customers who buy new batteries.)

On a positive note it seems as if most people take this seriously. About 93% of all battery lead is recycled, making it the most highly recycled consumer product.

I'm waiting for the newer tech hybrids with the new batteries, like the Chevrolet Volt, thats the type of car that can make a real impact on fuel consumption, I would use little to no gas with a Chevy Volt on my commute to work, well over 100mpg

True, the future of hybrid vehicles will only present better options, but does that invalidate the early efforts towards overall cleaner and more fuel efficient vehicles?

I really hate trendy products, mostly because the hollywood stars that promote them do it for image, why don't they buy a Honda Civic Hybrid, its just as good as a Prius, oh thats right, it looks and drives like a normal car, no one will notice you have a hybrid.....

Exactly what do the "Hollywood stars" stand to gain by promoting hybrids? In an age of TMZ-style media coverage, and a 'who has more bling' culture, they're actually taking a pretty big risk by driving a Prius, rather than driving a different new Bentley for each day of the week. And besides that, what's wrong with trying to do something positive? Heck, that's a welcome change in Hollywood..... in my opinion anyway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0o63BOVlzhc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YwxXBCeSh4

^^^ I agree with these

Prius is a hype machine, is is not that great for the environment.

I have a Hyundai tiburon with a 4cyl and get over 30MPG in mixed driving, which is excellent

Hollywood stars are not taking a risk, the Prius has become a status symbol of sorts for green vehicles, While the prius remains sold out, cars like the Honda Civic Hybrid, sit available on the lot, and are just as good

I still think that a normal car, like a regular Toyota Corolla is better than a pruis, very very proven car, supremly reliable, and excellent mileage, but then again, you won't appear to be "saving the planet", it would appear you bought an inexpensive car

^ Okay, unfortunately I can't view those videos from my current location, so I can't comment directly on those.

However, in a general sense, I'm still wondering why you have such a negative view towards the Prius. Nuts and bolts aside, how is an "overhyped" car marketed towards "greener" living a bad thing? Don't get me wrong, I'm not exactly your typical "tree huggin' hippie in your face save the planet naturalist fool." But I am a realist. And I don't discredit the scientific facts preached about by the likes of Al Gore, for instance.

With that said, if the goal is to persuade Americans to lower foriegn oil dependency by means such as driving more fuel efficient vehicles, then what's wrong with promoting a car that gets 40+MPG? I just don't understand how there's a downside. Just last night I heard a report that the nation, on average, has indeed slightly lowered its fuel consumption by driving less miles over the last month or so (I believe it was ABC nightly news?). Is it coincidence that locally our gas prices have dropped from $3.95 to $3.70 over the last week or so? Personally, I'm guessing there's at least some connection there.

The combination of driving less, plus more fuel efficient cars *can* eventually help out. There's no doubt in my mind about that. And if the Prius is the chic torchbearer for that movement, then so be it. And yes, cars like the Corolla are still very effecient as well. Is the Prius a perfect car? Maybe not. Is it the right car for everyone? Obviously not either. I'm just saying that there really shouldn't be any backlash towards the Prius if that's one of the main things responsible for changing Americans' opinions towards that of "greener living," and consequently helping to lower fuel dependency.

I don't HATE the Pruis, I think its overhyped, there are plenty of other ways to get the same results that have little or no fan fare, like desiel engines

The first video explains that the manufacture of the Pruis does more harm to the enviroment than making a Land Rover Discovery, its quite amusing

The new Jetta TDI gets amazing mileage, and even the New Chevrolet small car, thats going to replace the Cobalt, it coming out in a year or so, and boasts that is should get over 40 MPG without any hybrid help.

as opposed to searching out a great way to do something good for the environment, they take the advice of hollywood stars, some of the most uniformed people on the planet

If I was to buy a new car today, I would skip the hybrids (uh those battery packs will have to be replaced in a few years, that may cost some $$$$, on top of all the regular car maintence)

The Jetta TDI, the regular honda Civic, Toyota Corolla, MAzda 3, there are so many great cars that get good mileage., and some even have good power (gulp)

If your really concerned, for almost nothing you can get a car that gets some of the best MPG ever

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cars-Trucks-Geo-METRO-NR-99-METRO-COLD-AC-FIVE-SPEED-47-M-P-G-NO-RESERVE_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6242QQihZ003QQitemZ130242437921QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

47mpg on regular gas, and should cost about $1500

hWhile the prius remains sold out, cars like the Honda Civic Hybrid, sit available on the lot, and are just as good

Um yeah...not true. HCH's are probably LESS available than the Prius at this point.

Not true

My local dealership has 4 on the lot right now

http://garciahonda.com/New-Inventory.aspx#sortdirection=False&makeid=1000013&currentpage=1&totalrecords=4&sortitem=0&ajax_t=1217616258218&page=new-inventory&modelyearid=2008&modelid=Civic%20Hybrid&model=Civic%20Hybrid&make=Honda&pagesize=25&hyperlinkargument=page&cultureinfostyle=null&virtualpageindex=0&modelyear=2008&numberofvisiblepages=10

You can still walk on the lot and get one

the pruis on the other hand, is out of hand, with used oe's selling for more than the new ones, obsurd

http://www.leftlanenews.com/average-lightly-used-prius-sells-for-1300-over-msrp.html

^ While I may have my foot in my mouth a bit with my statement, it's a bit disingenuous to post the link you did without posting a similar one for Toyota.... Here's an Albuquerque based Toyota dealer with two Prius' in stock:

Link

I know in L.A. the HCH's are pretty hard to come by on a lot.

I checked Malone Toyota in Albuquerque, but did not check that one

Malone did not have any, I should have checked the entire Albuquerque area, but just chose two random dealerships that popped in my head

http://www.karlmalonetoyota.com/VehicleSearchResults?search=new&make=Toyota&rowsPerPage=25&certified=no&model=Prius

Here is the article I read (YES!! I found it) and why I said Honda Civic Hybrids are more plentiful

http://www.northjersey.com/business/news/Demand_outstrips_hybrid_production.html

^ Interesting article. In LA, the Prius is pretty much ubiquitous now...there are so many on the road it's ridiculous. HCH's are more rare. While I do agree to a certain extent that the Prius thing is sort of a trendy thing (esp in LA), it DOES get great mileage (even a little better than the HCH in most cases) and I'd rather have a trend of people buying small, fuel efficient vehicles than a trend of buying Escalades and Hummers. If the rage of buying Hybrids spurns other auto makers to produce more hybrid/green technology vehicles, then I'M ALL FOR IT!!

^ Interesting article. In LA, the Prius is pretty much ubiquitous now...there are so many on the road it's ridiculous. HCH's are more rare. While I do agree to a certain extent that the Prius thing is sort of a trendy thing (esp in LA), it DOES get great mileage (even a little better than the HCH in most cases) and I'd rather have a trend of people buying small, fuel efficient vehicles than a trend of buying Escalades and Hummers. If the rage of buying Hybrids spurns other auto makers to produce more hybrid/green technology vehicles, then I'M ALL FOR IT!!

OK I certainly agree with that, the smaller better mileage trend is great.

The car I am most excited about is the Chevrolet Volt

http://www.chevrolet.com/electriccar/

Here's the Wikipedia volt page, as far as I know this is fairly accurate

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Volt

HEck even the new Chevy Cruz ( a MUCH needed Cobalt replacement is expected to get over 40 MPG)

http://www.leftlanenews.com/chevrolet-cruze.html

HEck even the new Chevy Cruz ( a MUCH needed Cobalt replacement is expected to get over 40 MPG)

I love GM dont get me wrong, I would give a kidney for a ZR1 Corvette. But the Volt is only coming if GM can make it to 2010, the cars they are making right now just are not selling. Most analysts predict Q3 09 is when GM runs out of cash. We bought a GM car, Saab 93, its freaking awesome. If everyone would just get over the quality issues GM had in the past and see that they are making great quality cars on par with what Toyota and Honda make (Maybe not in the small car segment) GM would make it.

^ Interesting article. In LA, the Prius is pretty much ubiquitous now...there are so many on the road it's ridiculous.

I am really going to hate LA then

I love GM dont get me wrong, I would give a kidney for a ZR1 Corvette. But the Volt is only coming if GM can make it to 2010, the cars they are making right now just are not selling. Most analysts predict Q3 09 is when GM runs out of cash. We bought a GM car, Saab 93, its freaking awesome. If everyone would just get over the quality issues GM had in the past and see that they are making great quality cars on par with what Toyota and Honda make (Maybe not in the small car segment) GM would make it.

^ Interesting article. In LA, the Prius is pretty much ubiquitous now...there are so many on the road it's ridiculous.

I am really going to hate LA then

I don't think GM is going to run out of money anytime soon. They have so many assets, and are doing well oversea's

They have invested SO MUCH money improving thier products, look t Caddilac, amazing, just a few years ago it was a car company for old people, now they have the fastest 4 door production sedan available in the CTS-V

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=126159

They still sell a ton of cars, and they have the right people in charge, people who care about the end product, they plan to make profit with the Cruz, its a global car

Of the three american car companies, GM is the least likley to go bankrupt, in my opinion

Also there is a chance of a Goverment bailout, one of those "to big to fail" ala Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac

The only GM car I own right now is a 1976 Camaro, they other two are Hyundai Tiburon's

I don't think GM is going to run out of money anytime soon. They have so many assets, and are doing well oversea's

They have invested SO MUCH money improving thier products, look t Caddilac, amazing, just a few years ago it was a car company for old people, now they have the fastest 4 door production sedan available in the CTS-V

They still sell a ton of cars, and they have the right people in charge, people who care about the end product, they plan to make profit with the Cruz, its a global car

Of the three american car companies, GM is the least likley to go bankrupt, in my opinion

Also there is a chance of a Goverment bailout, one of those "to big to fail" ala Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac

The only GM car I own right now is a 1976 Camaro, they other two are Hyundai Tiburon's

Your right, I sort of forgot about Cadillac and I've been listening to the analysts scare tactics.. new CTS is a really nice car. Im hoping GM makes it, if they can get the volt out before Toyota and Honda get an electric car out, they are going to make money hand over fist. Now if I just had some cash to buy the stock at the current $10 and ride it up when the Volt comes.

Interesting times in the Auto industry. Honda testing a Prius-esq Hybrid plus they are going to start leasing that FCX Clarity Hydrogen car, GM has the Volt coming, Ford has some fab small cars like the Fiesta and Focus.

The real meat is of course the new Camaro

^^I'm definitely excited for the new Camaro and Challenger. I know a lot of people are not fans of the "retro" cars, but I am, especially these two. I've had the pleasure of seeing a black and an orange challenger driving on the highway. Definitely a head-turner.