TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

CARS! The Car Super Thread

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is what it says on the Hummer website:

On the Hummer, Wagoner said GM is “undertaking a strategic review of the Hummer brand, to determine its fit with GM’s evolving product portfolio” in light of changing market conditions.

“At this point, we are considering all options for the Hummer brand... everything from a complete revamp of the product lineup to partial or complete sale of the brand,” he said.

The Detroit-based automaker has just emerged from a spate of labor problems, with two local union strikes at key factories and a nearly three-month strike at key parts maker American Axle and Manufacturing Holdings Inc.

GM said in a recent regulatory filing the strikes will cost it a total of $2 billion before taxes in the second quarter.

Detroit’s automakers have been making the shift to more fuel-efficient vehicles, but not at the pace that matches consumers’ drive to hybrids and high mileage models made overseas. Gas prices have accelerated the retreat from trucks and sport utility vehicles, leaving the Big Three at the most critical crossroads in 30 years.

Sounds bad for the Hummer...

I am not worried about the gas simply because it gets better gas millage than the SUV I have now!!

So do a lot of other cars. Large SUV's need to die. There are dealerships here that aren't even accepting them as trade ins, because they're over run with them.

I say bring back the Chevette!

This is what it says on the Hummer website:

On the Hummer, Wagoner said GM is “undertaking a strategic review of the Hummer brand, to determine its fit with GM’s evolving product portfolio” in light of changing market conditions.

“At this point, we are considering all options for the Hummer brand... everything from a complete revamp of the product lineup to partial or complete sale of the brand,” he said.

The Detroit-based automaker has just emerged from a spate of labor problems, with two local union strikes at key factories and a nearly three-month strike at key parts maker American Axle and Manufacturing Holdings Inc.

GM said in a recent regulatory filing the strikes will cost it a total of $2 billion before taxes in the second quarter.

Detroit’s automakers have been making the shift to more fuel-efficient vehicles, but not at the pace that matches consumers’ drive to hybrids and high mileage models made overseas. Gas prices have accelerated the retreat from trucks and sport utility vehicles, leaving the Big Three at the most critical crossroads in 30 years.

Sounds bad for the Hummer...

Well if Hummer does end up like not making H3's anymore than I can always buy an 2008 just not new I would prefer not to, but I am getting an H3 one way or another!

~Matthew

When I become rich and famous, I'm going to buy back every single Hummer I can and blow them up along with the plant (if it's still around).

Except the Hummer "H1"s! Those things will always be bad ass in all of their insane gas-guzzling glory.

Well if Hummer does end up like not making H3's anymore than I can always buy an 2008 just not new I would prefer not to, but I am getting an H3 one way or another!

~Matthew

I seriously don't understand your logic, I'm not eco-hippy but I fail to see the up-side of a hummer. They are overly large (and surprisingly small inside, you seem to get more room inside a range rover), not particularly good off road, use far too much fuel and look disgusting.

Seriously, why do you want a hummer over all the other vehicles that outclass it in every respect (apart from the "I have a tiny penis but look at my HUGE car" aspect)

(apart from the "I have a tiny penis but look at my HUGE car" aspect)

And along those lines comes this news:

Ford reported a 28% drop in sales last month, with sales of its F-Series pickups plunging 41%. For the quarter, F-Series truck sales fell 31% to 126,575.

Looks like a lot more rednecks are gonna have to simply start admitting they have small penises. Seriously, if you have reason to drive one, that makes perfect sense (i.e. you regularly haul a boat, trailor, etc.), but so many idiots around this region drive 'em just because they feel they have to. Ha! There's a silver lining to high gas prices afterall.

~Matthew

I seriously don't understand your logic, I'm not eco-hippy but I fail to see the up-side of a hummer. They are overly large (and surprisingly small inside, you seem to get more room inside a range rover), not particularly good off road, use far too much fuel and look disgusting.

Seriously, why do you want a hummer over all the other vehicles that outclass it in every respect (apart from the "I have a tiny penis but look at my HUGE car" aspect)

Hummers are pretty decent off road, they have great ground clearances, a proper ladder frame, and good enough power, its all that heavy duty stuff thats brings the MPG down

If you want A "Proper" off roader don't buy land rover, get a jeep, still gets terrible mileage, but that thing can out do anything, except maybe the real H1 hummer

The real question should be, do I go off road enough to justify this purchase, there are people who live around Albuquerque who live in remote area's and NEED a off road vehicle, but if you live in a city, and never really off road, your wasting your money

If you want to spend that much money, buy a damn sports car, you can get a freakin Corvette. at least it gets 28MPG on the freeway, an can blow the doors off most things on the road, if your so inclined:)

I have never personally owned a 4x4 truck, and have always owned sports cars, We currently own 2 Hyundai Tiburons and a 76 Camaro, the Tiby's get 27MPG for the GT and 32 for my 2000 4cyl, uh the camaro get 14mpg, but we don't drive it much, its a project car

I think GM should take the hummer name, and make some plug in electric hybrid 4x4 with solar panels, and all sorts of fancy fuel saving technology. Make it the green go anywhere vehicle, that would change the perception of the make in a hurry

The only green Hummers I can imagine are the ones sitting on the lot, unsold, and covered with mold from sitting!

As for truly green cars, I think there's a future with hydrogen. It's plentiful, and cars using it produce no emissions (except water).

Eric

~Matthew

There is not really logic for why I am getting it. I want a Hummer and I am getting a Hummer! H3's are not that large, and they may not be the best in off roading, but why would I want to take a $35,000 car off the road? Why I want a Hummer of all vehicles? I think it might be half first car thing and half safety thing. Hummer was my first car and I loved it, and I really just want another one. Plus I was in a very bad car accident in a Hummer and was not to seriously hurt so I feel safe in one! I have a very large SUV now and I would never go to a smaller car! Having a large SUV also comes in handy sometimes. Like moving, or camping, or pissing people off by getting right on their ass when they just cut you off and they are in a tiny little Dodge Viper! Did that today you should have seen the reaction. They actually got out of the car at the red light to see if I had hit them I have to much fun in an SUV why would I want to change? As for the "I have a tiny penis but look at my HUGE car" statement... all I have to say is that is the last reason I would buy a Hummer!

Hummers are pretty decent off road, they have great ground clearances, a proper ladder frame, and good enough power, its all that heavy duty stuff thats brings the MPG down

If you want A "Proper" off roader don't buy land rover, get a jeep, still gets terrible mileage, but that thing can out do anything, except maybe the real H1 hummer

The real question should be, do I go off road enough to justify this purchase, there are people who live around Albuquerque who live in remote area's and NEED a off road vehicle, but if you live in a city, and never really off road, your wasting your money

If you want to spend that much money, buy a damn sports car, you can get a freakin Corvette. at least it gets 28MPG on the freeway, an can blow the doors off most things on the road, if your so inclined:)

I have never personally owned a 4x4 truck, and have always owned sports cars, We currently own 2 Hyundai Tiburons and a 76 Camaro, the Tiby's get 27MPG for the GT and 32 for my 2000 4cyl, uh the camaro get 14mpg, but we don't drive it much, its a project car

I defiantly do not go off roading to need a off road car, but I still want one! I would like to buy a sports car, but the way I drive a sports car would just be a death trap. As for a Corvette getting 28mpg, the H3 gets 20mpg not that big of a difference, and can run most things off the road! As for the comparison on gas millage... My car now gets 12mpg the Hummer gets 16mpg (city) that is a big enough difference to make me happy!

~Matthew