TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

CARS! The Car Super Thread

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm thinking that at 16 years old, that's not much of a dilemma....rather a privilege. Pick one and be grateful.

Haha, agreed.

I have a white 1995 Honda Accord at about 208,000 miles! Still runs great. The past owner was an auto mechanic and was always working on the engine and transmission. Though I need to take it in for a transmission rebuild. Other than that it's great. I get about 28 mpg and am mostly on the freeway. Decent for such an old car.

Though I want a Vibe next year, after my car is paid off, one thing I know I will be getting is a motorcycle next year. I might be getting one very similiar to this one

Since I have never ridden before, I am trying to take a motorcycle riding class this fall at the local college and then next spring I will hopefully buy that one .

Good luck trying to get a TDi on your first shot. All the dealerships here can't seem to keep them on the lots for more than a few days.

Well, They cant be flying off the lots because they're not available yet. All the dealerships have only one TDI, for test driving purpose.

I know that I can still get one because I contacted my local VW dealer and I was told that I can still pre-order one and expect to recieve it in September.

As soon as I get comfortable enough on them, I am getting a Harley Sportster. I like the way they feel while sitting in a garage and how narrow they are. I just don't want one right away because if I get it and lay it down and scrape it up, I would get mad at myself.

Good luck trying to get a TDi on your first shot. All the dealerships here can't seem to keep them on the lots for more than a few days.

Well, They cant be flying off the lots because they're not available yet. All the dealerships have only one TDI, for test driving purpose.

I know that I can still get one because I contacted my local VW dealer and I was told that I can still pre-order one and expect to recieve it in September.

Are you kidding? Jetta diesels have been around FOREVER! They are most certainly available and have been for pretty much as long as the Jetta has been around. They are flying off the lots, thats why you are pre-ordering one.

Over the weekend, I logged almost 400 miles on my CR-V, and got---believe it or not---an average of 31.8 miles per gallon!

See, you drive 60 vs. 65, and it can make all the difference.

Eric

Are you kidding? Jetta diesels have been around FOREVER! They are most certainly available and have been for pretty much as long as the Jetta has been around. They are flying off the lots, thats why you are pre-ordering one.

Um, no, See they were discontinued in 2005 and they are being rereleased in the US in August. Tell me that you've seen a fifth Generation Jetta with a TDI badge on the back.

In the USA at least, There is no Diesel version of the Jetta since the 05 until now. The Jetta will be rerelease with a TDI Badge

Of course, with diesel fuel selling for more than premium, who wants a diesel right now? Even though prices have dipped a bit, diesel is still up over $5 a gallon in some places. At least here in CA...

Eric

Of course, with diesel fuel selling for more than premium, who wants a diesel right now? Even though prices have dipped a bit, diesel is still up over $5 a gallon in some places. At least here in CA...

Eric

Well, this Jetta will get 40MPG City and 50 Highway.

If you do the math, with the same car as a gas model, you'll save more with the diesel.

Of course, with diesel fuel selling for more than premium, who wants a diesel right now?

A gallon of diesel goes much further than a gallon of gas, so you still come out ahead. Plus a diesel motor is less complicated than gas (and infinitely less complicated than a stupid hybrid) .. I can't fathom why they are not more popular (well I can, it's just that no-one markets them).

Congrats on the Diesel Jetta - they are awesome!

Cameron.

So based on 300miles.

if the gas model gets 30 mpg, at 4 dollars a gallon, that is 40 dollars

The TDI gets 40 mpg, at 5 dollars a gallon, that is 37.50.

So you save 2.50 on 300 miles over gas.

How much mroe is the TDI?

That's the downside, the TDI model may be two or three thousand dollars more than the gasoline model, and the TDI model doesnt come as a base, it has a lot of extra options as standard, such as 6-CD changer and leatherette seats.

They say that it'll pay off after driving 5,000 Miles.

I don't remember if they said 5,000 or 15,000.

Of course, with diesel fuel selling for more than premium, who wants a diesel right now?

A gallon of diesel goes much further than a gallon of gas, so you still come out ahead. Plus a diesel motor is less complicated than gas (and infinitely less complicated than a stupid hybrid) .. I can't fathom why they are not more popular (well I can, it's just that no-one markets them).

Congrats on the Diesel Jetta - they are awesome!

Cameron.

They are also more reliable than gasoline engines.

Meaning that their odometer will keep going.

Hopefully with the reintroduction of new diesel cars in the U.S., biodiesel fuel will become popular. Think of how much oil is thrown away by restaurants. Some people are already using that oil after running it through a filtration system. I don't know the cost/difficulty of setting up such a thing, but it's a good way to stretch our oil supply a bit.

Eric

^ Honestly, There are no places within 50 Miles of the area I live in that sell biodiesel, I know there's only one a few blocks from my dad's company, but I've never been there.

And The United States, with all the fast food restaurants located within, there must be a lot of used oil that is thrown out.

... And ethanol hasn't been very practical probably because of the fact that the amount of corn used to fill an SUV that runs on E85 is just enough to feed a person for a year.

I guess this is probably a good time to mention GM is considering shutting down or selling the Hummer brand. They're time has come and gone.

But a new car is a new car. So congrats to you. Hope you can afford the gas and maintenance costs if the Hummer brand really is shut down...

^No it's not.

How many cars is this in like one year?

I guess this is probably a good time to mention GM is considering shutting down or selling the Hummer brand. They're time has come and gone.

But a new car is a new car. So congrats to you. Hope you can afford the gas and maintenance costs if the Hummer brand really is shut down...

Hummer has only stop making the H2 and from what I heard they will still be making the H3! I am not worried about the gas simply because it gets better gas millage than the SUV I have now!!

~Matthew