TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

CARS! The Car Super Thread

I saw these while driving home tonight. Sorry for the crappy cell phone pictures!

I saw a EVO X this week as well. Very aggressive looking car. Im not sure about the 5 speed manual though, because you dont have a cruising gear so the engine is constantly making a racket. Amazing handling.

I also saw a Audi R8. Its not pretty, but it is hugely fast and exciting.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^Well, all the Evo's sans the MR had a 5 speed gearbox. I've only driven an MR and never had to put it higher than 4th gear while cruising at 55ish. The gears are taller in the 5 speed, and the engine likes to rev so why not let it. I mean, it makes all of its power/torque at 6800 RPM which is pretty close to its redline. I think if the 5 speeds of the past didn't work, it wouldn't be on the car now.

^Well, all the Evo's sans the MR had a 5 speed gearbox. I've only driven an MR and never had to put it higher than 4th gear while cruising at 55ish. The gears are taller in the 5 speed, and the engine likes to rev so why not let it. I mean, it makes all of its power/torque at 6800 RPM which is pretty close to its redline. I think if the 5 speeds of the past didn't work, it wouldn't be on the car now.

Yeah. Here in Canada atleast, the EVO X GSR is a 5-speed manual only. The MR has that twin clutch 6 speed. And a lot of the car guys I know are going for the flappy paddle twin clutch transmission. I have no experience with the twin clutch transmission, but I hear its a pretty good one. Similar in feel to the DSG from VW/Audi/Porsche

Well, after taking me 90,000 miles (bought it with 103,000) and across 25 states in four years, my '96 Honda Prelude bit the dust so it was time to get something else.

In it's place, I got a '98 Plymouth Breeze. Despite being twice the size of my Honda, it actually gets better gas mileage. Granted, that means it has no power at all, but in today's economy, I will cope. While driving it back to Alabama, I got over 30 mpg on the highway with the A/C on. Plus, it has plenty of space for road trips and junk, so I'm really liking it.

184713339_IMG_4248(Medium).jpg.bc99d278ea5f5b39f5d16000d7daf187.jpg

My new baby...

Dino_martini, look at the Audi R8 in red with the black (obviously) carbon fibre air intakes. It is a thing of sheer beauty...

I've seen in it Red,White,Black,Grey and it is not pretty in any of them. Totally my opinion, but it doesnt flow like a Porsche 911 or Aston Martin V8 Vantage. Its a neat looking car, the LED headlights are really cool. The V8 out of the RS4 is probably one of the best engines in the world. Its a good car, but not that pretty. I would buy a Porsche 911 Turbo or AMV8 Vantage over the R8. Again, just my opinion. Maybe you think Im crazy, I think the Nissan GTR looks pretty good too.

Personally I think it looks ten times better than the Nissan, but I'm not sure I really "get" the LEDs

The benefits of LED headlights are lower power consumption, durability and significantly more flexible packaging. But they heat up real quick. So they can be tough to engineer in a way that they wont over heat.

I believe they are going to become the standard in the auto industry. Lexus and Audi are just early adopters I guess. They look neat:

Edit - Ok in the this picture, the Audi looks sexy. I am kind of warming to it, Im still more of a Porsche 911 or Chevrolet Corvette Zo6/ZR1 kinda guy though.

You're half crazy, the AMV8 looks better but IMO the standard Porsche design (and lets be honest they're all the same) looks like a frog.

There is another reason for LED lights, they illuminate faster than standard incandescent lamps, and at motorway speeds, your brake lights can come on up to a car length sooner with LED with obvious safety benefits, they also look damn sexy.

The benefits of LED headlights are lower power consumption, durability and significantly more flexible packaging. But they heat up real quick. So they can be tough to engineer in a way that they wont over heat.

ok, let me rephrase to clarify:

I think they look stupid.

As for the 911.. I like the standard look - its a nice, sexy design. Nothing too complex or offensive, just a clean and smooth body.

If money was not an object, I would definitely want to drive THIS:

The Lamborghini Reventon... 650 horsepower V12 engine. HELL YES.

Too bad only 20 are being made.

How much will it weigh? Even the suped up versions of the Merc and Gala are weighty I think at over 3000lbs which is IMO for a supercar nearly 500lbs overweight. You need to be quite a bit lighter to really catch my eye.

If money was not an object, I would definitely want to drive THIS:

The Lamborghini Reventon... 650 horsepower V12 engine. HELL YES.

Too bad only 20 are being made.

How much will it weigh? Even the suped up versions of the Merc and Gala are weighty I think at over 3000lbs which is IMO for a supercar nearly 500lbs overweight. You need to be quite a bit lighter to really catch my eye.

its 3670.7 lb

If Audi would let Lamborghini ditch the AWD system Lambo's would be so quick.

Though keep in mind the Ferrari F430 weighs almost 3200lbs. Its not really a lightweight.

shouldn't the looks, or maybe how well it corners or accelerates, be what 'catch your eye' and not the weight?

Yes but weight spoils the performance and handling of cars. The LP560-4, the LP640 and the Reventon are all great cars, but think about how much better they would be if they were put on a diet.

I was just playing on the words "catch my eye" because pretty much anytime I do a double-take or check out a car, its something like the style or maybe the badge or the way they took off or whatever that caught my attention and made me look. I think "man that's a sexy car" or "that really ripped through the corner" or something like that.. not "that car's really light!".

you don't need to tell me the basics of car engineering, you're coming off as condescending IMO. I've taken enough physics to know what inertia is.

I was just playing on the words "catch my eye" because pretty much anytime I do a double-take or check out a car, its something like the style or maybe the badge or the way they took off or whatever that caught my attention and made me look. I think "man that's a sexy car" or "that really ripped through the corner" or something like that.. not "that car's really light!".

you don't need to tell me the basics of car engineering, you're coming off as condescending IMO. I've taken enough physics to know what inertia is.

Im not trying to be condescending. What part of what I wrote was condescending? All I said was, Lambo's now are great handling, but they are on the weighty side (awd + extra equipment to run AWD). If Audi would throw away the AWD system, they would be even better.

Good point.

BTTF.com owns a "real" Delorean Time Machine as well. Apparently they rent for parties.

Also curious about this, Ryan: Is it because you like BTTF that you bought the Delorean? I actually know a person who loves the DMC-12 and doesn't really care for the movie.

We bought the car because we are huge fans of Back To The Future. The car not only has a Flux Capacitor, it also has a Hooverboard also.

Since I last posted, the car has gotten a new stock DeLorean engine with Upgraded HP - (197). Custom Exhaust, New Radiator, plus a bunch of other random updated crap. Ive also posted new pictures.

Kristen!!!

We bought the car because we are huge fans of Back To The Future. The car not only has a Flux Capacitor, it also has a Hooverboard also.

Since I last posted, the car has gotten a new stock DeLorean engine with Upgraded HP - (197). Custom Exhaust, New Radiator, plus a bunch of other random updated crap. Ive also posted new pictures.

Kristen!!!

Holy! That is freaking awesome. I have seen one DeLorean in person, neat car.

Im not trying to be condescending. What part of what I wrote was condescending?

by stating something pretty simple like "weight spoils the performance and handling of cars" - like I don't know that!?!

I still love the pic of Kristen in the Delorean. Surprised she didn't melt on the leather in the tin box!!

LOL yes!! Subliminal messaging at its finest!

I still can't get over the custom license plate.. like there are sooo many DMC time machines parked everywhere that you need help distinguishing it

Come to think of it, I laughed a lot! Thanks Ryan!!