TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

CARS! The Car Super Thread

Well, since the scope of thread has been expanded...

When I got my current car (2006 Toyota Celica 1.8 vvtl-i GT) I was originaly going to look at a 3 year old Honda S2000 on private sale. On the way I passed a dealer which had their ex-demo Celica sitting outside with a price on. I was instantly attracted to the look of it.

Anyway, after testing them both, I bought the Celica even though its not as good a car and was 3K more expensive. Im still not sure why. Something just made me want it more. I know I should have bought the S2000. That said the limited GT edition (thats the UK GT, not the GT you have in the states) has been very popular. I looked into it and there were only 3 for sale in Scotland, and they were all bought the same weedend that I bought mine.

Still, Im very happy with my Celica. You do have to rev the bejesus out of it to get any kind of power and its not got much torque. And the ride is really hard, but it does handles brilliantly for a FWD car.

Has anyone else passed on a great car to buy an inferior one for no reason other than something inside just drew them to it? Or had a missed oppertunity, like I should could bought it but didnt.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I drive a 05 Chrysler 300. Mom drives a Mercury Mountaineer, brother drives a Dodge Stealth, and my dad drives a 08 Mustang GT and a 68 Shelby GT-500. Here's a pic of the Shelby.

pic1.jpg.b8941618f88ba985cbad836ea804efd0.jpg

Yea, one of the only times I've driven it.

My mom is looking into buying a used car. The choices are a 2005 Toyota Sequioa or a 2005 Honda Pilot. Which one should she get? Please, give me your opinions on whichone she should get?

Thanks!

-astroworldfan1

2005 Honda Pilot (Not this color)

2005 Toyota Seqioa (Not this color)

I dont know how much of you are car enthusiast. But the GTR is finally coming to the United States. Even though i cant afford it. Its still great to see it in the U.S. It isnt cheap, about $70K. Twin turbo AWD 3.8L V6 makes

480 hp @ 6,800rpm & 430 tq from 3,200 to 5,200. 0-60 timed @ 3.4 sec.

1/4 mile @ 11.7 @ 117 mph (second to the 07 911 turbo) 74 mph slalom speed (second to the 08 Viper) 60-0 Stops @ 98 ft. <--record (GTR beat 2008 BMW M3 @ 100 ft)

Got some pics for ya! Enjoy.

Older Skyline & new GTR! Eh, I'll take both.

GTR having fun!

If I were to ever buy one. Which I wouldn't I'm a BMW fan. But I would strip off the gorgeious badge and find a Skyline Badge! I think they are georgious cars and I couldn't wait for the to come here to show the other manufacturers what a Supercar really is! Esp. since they are under 100k and spank the 08 Z06 Vette and the Porshe 911 Turbo! I saw one at the NYIAS and I was in awe! I cant wait to see one driving around!

^Just because you're a BMW fan doesn't mean you have to buy only BMW's.

I would definitely own a GTR no questions asked, and if you've seen the GTR V-Spec, you'd want one too. 0-60 in 3 seconds FLAT! Its 120k, but still thats a good price for a car like that.

Yea I know lol! I wouldnt want a car that fast, mainly cause I would get my self in massive amounts of trouble, Jersey insurance rates are insane too! Both my brothers have Nissans, they beat them to death and the hold up very well! I'm impressed with them. But I have a soft spot! My boss is in the process of buying me a Z3 my favorite BMW of all time!

^ +2

In other news, the most expensive car ever sold was sold today. I copied this from my 190 forum, but there is no like yet so this will have to do.

The Most Expensive Car Ever Sold Is….

Posted: May. 20, 2008

The most expensive car sale in history took place last Sunday. Carscoop reports that the world record was set "when RM Auctions, in association with Sotheby’s, managed to auction a 1961 Ferrari 250 GT SWB California Spyder for a mind blowing $10,976,000." The car, once owned by actor James Coburn, was bought by U.K. radio personality Chris Evans.

In sleek, glossy black, it's unquestionably a beautiful car. But even vintage car experts' jaws dropped at the sale price. Autoblog reports, "The initial estimate from RM Auctions was nearly half the sale price."

Motor Trend tells us, "The Pininfarina-designed car features a 3.0-liter 12-cylinder engine making 280 horsepower."

According to Wikipedia's current entry on the car, about 55 were ever built. We haven't found an estimate of how many are in working condition.

And no, the one wrecked in Ferris Bueller's Day Off wasn't real -- just a Hollywood copy.

The eye-popping sales price got us wondering…what on the current automotive market could Evans have had for his dollar?

The obvious answer is the next Ferrari California. The storied Italian automaker is reviving the nameplate for a beautiful 2009 droptop, which, the Los Angeles Times tells us, will feature "a folding hard top, a 4.3-liter V-8 engine that develops an impressive 460 horsepower, a seven-speed gearbox and a zero-to-60-mph time of under four seconds." That's 180 hp more than Evans' new car.

And for his $11 million, he could have bought about 27 of them. The projected cost of the new California is just under $400,000.

But Evans' purchase has more exclusivity. What if he'd wanted that more than anything else?

Bugatti will build only 80 of its new Veyron Targa hardtop convertible. They are expected to cost around $2 million, so for the price he paid for the 250 GT, Evans could have bought five. That, by the way, would have netted him 5,005 horsepower.

If performance was his issue, he could have bought himself about 50 Lamborghini Gallardos to outrun his California in a straight line, or 180 Lotus Exiges to outperform it in the corners.

Just for fun, we'll look at the cheap cars, too.

Evans could have had 949 Smart Fortwos -- room to transport almost 1,900 people in tiny little cars. He could have bought over 1,100 Chevy Aveos. Then, he would have had more than 113,300 total horsepower in his (very large) garage.

The best selling car in the United States last year was the Toyota Camry. He could have bought one of those for himself, and one each for his closest 580 friends.

But Evans is British. The U.K.'s best selling car is the European version of the Ford Focus. He could have had more than 640 of those.

Lastly, we'll note that he could simply have bought a decent share of the company. At the prices available at close yesterday, Evans could have bought 576,575 shares of Fiat Group spA, Ferrari's parent company. With that big an interest, he could have probably asked them to build him two copies of the black Spyder.

My boss is in the process of buying me a Z3 my favorite BMW of all time!

Okay, I apologize if I missed something in your previous posts, but could you please explain the relationship you have with your boss? In 34 years, I've never had a boss willing to buy me anything more than lunch.

1961 Ferrari 250 GT SWB California Spyder

Oh, and Joe, woud you turn down this steering wheel too?

My Boss and his wife my other boss, Are very giving and they mainly know that I don't wanna put massive amounts of miles on my car orking with them. Mainly cause of parts runs. So hes buying me the Z3 so My MINI can have a break! Also so he can do some stuff to her! Plus I've ALWAYS wanted a Z3 and one of our customers is selling it cheap. So he said hed buy it for me! Not to mention the fact that I keep his show cars in pristine visual condition for his car shows! So hes doing it as a Thank You too!

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I'm kinda beat, but I thought I'd just post this for craps sake. After 3 hours of pure elbow grease, I cleaned my Jeep and am really happy with the results!

And if anyones wondering about the vehicles in the background, the red Jeep is my 76 CJ7, and the one in the reflection of my paint is our new 2009 Toyota Corolla. The most BORING car ever.

^ In your second picture, that's really a weird mural you have on the back of your Jeep.

But you did a nice job with the detailing. I let someone else do my CR-V because they're better at it than I am.

I drove a 2009 Corolla a few months back. My opinion? It's...eh.

Eric

I drove a 2009 Corolla a few months back. My opinion? It's...eh.

Eric

Exactly. It's just nothing to be happy about. I first got in, and I felt like I was swimming in a sea of cheap plastic! Driving it is just boring, I actually prefer my girlfriends Dodge Neon to this. I was pulling out of the gas station the other day (one thing I do like is the gas mileage), and there was an explorer coming towards me really fast. So I was used to my Jeep and said "ehh, I got room!" I floored it AND NOTHING HAPPENED! I was scared. I'm used to my Jeep where if you punch it, it'll punch you back into your seat. Not this, it just kinda putted along. To be fair though, it is an economy car, not a muscle car. But I just think it should have a bit more power then that.

Could be worse, at least its not a Yugo.

^ However, if you want a fun Corolla to drive, my daughter has a 2005 Corolla XRS...180 hp engine, six-speed manual transmission, very tight suspension for cornering. You could get into a lot of trouble in that thing.

But fun to drive for sure.

Eric

^ You'd be surprised. Hardly anyone wants a vehicle with a manual transmission anymore because they don't know how to drive one! And dealers often don't even have such vehicles because of the low demand.

But with gas prices skyrocketing, you'll see---sales will start taking off.

Eric