TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

CARS! The Car Super Thread

They are very much in demand, I pretty much got the last model they had. I got REALLY REALLY lucky it was the exact color I wanted AND I got the Costco discount. The dealer we worked with told me as of today they will probably be marking UP the Hybrids past MSRP when they get more in. My timing and luck just ended up being really good.

FYI, this sounds like just standard car dealer BS. A good general rule is that if they have even ONE on the lot, the car isn't that much in demand. With a really high demand car they have 0 on the lot and 6+ month back order list.

Back in like 2000, I took my car in for service and walked across the street to look at the new (at the time) Toyota MR2. The sales goon came up to me oozing the standard over-confident, half-shouting hard sell. They were asking like $3,500 over MSRP. Since I was bored, I started negotiating and quickly got him to drop the price to standard MSRP. Of course, I didn't buy the car as I had a brand new car at the time, but the lesson is that it's not terribly hard to get dealers to drop their over-MSRP charges. At least if they have one on the floor.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ That might be true, but we closed the deal on Sunday, and his comment about marking up the prices came yesterday when I went to pick up the car.

It's not like him telling me about them marking up the prices would have any effect, since we already made the deal the day before. I still got the car closer to invoice than MSRP.

Ford bought back my 06 Mustang “lemon law”, so I went for a safer choice (after a year of working with engineering) and got a 08 Fusion v6 SEL in Jan of this year with sport suspension/tire pack, ambient lighting, etc. Oddly for my first ever non sports coupe, I actually really like this car. And yes Sync system is incredible, much better then the voice system I have seen in BMW, and other luxury branded cars.

My only real gripe with the Fusion, v6 is it’s not available with 6 or 5 speed manual, and they could have gone with a more aggressive gearing.

As for the picture, anyone going out near Dollywood check out sunsetcottages.com for some pretty good rates for log cabins with hot tubs, pool tables, etc.

Cheers!

08FUSION.jpg.1da48ed8f839c3d3a261dbb7ec25d237.jpg

1002_its_a_hybrid.jpg.df3f68a149fcc2098cebbd5f0ac541d0.jpg

Thaaaaannnnnnkkkkkks! :)

Sunday? Your dealerships are open then? I guess its another Jersey thing.

Wes love the new wheels, i'm very impressed with Honda's "new" lineup. Alot of very cool and interesting new cars! Of course i didn't know the Civic came in a Hybrid! Everyone here buys the SI! the whole fuel efficiency thing hasn't hit yet! I've seen a whole but of new Mustang GTs, and lots of Evos and Stis... Very spiffy car Wes. I wish you the best of luck!

~Jay

Sunday? Your dealerships are open then? I guess its another Jersey thing.

Wow! I've never heard that before. Then again, California is a bunch of godless heathens.

Anyway, for those interested, I took some more pics of my car...

The front end. Nice and shiny.

Back end.

The only way you'd know it's a Civic Hybrid is this and the antenna.

Stereo and climate control.

Steering wheel and console area.

Perrrty. Also notice my average mpg even with a lot of non-optimal driving today.

My favorite feature, the built in Aux jack for your iPod (and the power outlet).

Yeah Wes, I'm definitely jealous of your new ride. Once I finally graduate and pay off a little loan debt, I'm hoping to buy a Honda hybrid. I bought a Honda after I graduated high school and I don't know if I'll ever buy from another producer unless something drastic happens.

I've got a '96 Prelude, which had about 103,000 miles on it when I got it in '04. It now has 190,000 miles on it and is still running great. I've had very few problems with it during that time. Of the few repairs that have been required, none have been terribly expensive. I'm convinced its going to live forever. Heck, I just took it on a 5,000 mile cross-country road trip in March and it ran perfect. My car definitely is consistent with the stereotype that Hondas last forever.

So yeah, awesome buy, Wes. Welcome to the Honda family.

With a Civic hybrid for sale, I don't know why Honda doesn't offer a CR-V hybrid. It'd be easy to do and would give the Ford Escape hybrid a little competition.

But, nice ride, Wes. And like Scaparri said, welcome to the Honda family.

Eric

Is the aux jack a headphone connector or a ipod connector?

Headphone, so you can plug in any MP3 player (or even portable CD player or Walkmen or anything that has a headphone jack), not just iPods. You just have to get an aux cord, which is basically two male ends of a headphone cord. They're like $5.

That is what I thought it was, but I was just wondering. Sometime this year I am replacing my stock radio and getting one to can play my Ipod and also have the deck control it and display the song information. I don't know how yours plays but the few times I have heard these systems, the bass is very low and sometimes distorted. I have aftermarket speakers and like to hear the bass loud sometimes and so that is why I am going that route (I don't like subs that can make your car a target for theft).

Wes love the new wheels, i'm very impressed with Honda's "new" lineup.

Agreed .. Just a few years ago the Hondas used to be almost as dull and lifeless as Toyota, but they have really pulled themselves out. My neighbor was away for a few weeks last fall and asked me to move her car around every few days (we have some crazy parking restrictions in our area), and it was actually pretty nice to drive! I also like the 'bridge of the enterprise' dash (even though it's so un-German!).

And Wes - car looks great! When are you driving out to Chicago for some White Castle? My treat!

Cameron.

PS: Car dealers are not permitted to be open on Sunday in Illinois either - it really blows, and no-one has ever been able to tell me why. Seems quite moronic.

Wes love the new wheels, i'm very impressed with Honda's "new" lineup.

PS: Car dealers are not permitted to be open on Sunday in Illinois either - it really blows, and no-one has ever been able to tell me why. Seems quite moronic.

I personally love it! dealers here are open till 930 pm M-F and till 10 during the summer on Saturdays! Sundays are great days to go and look so you don't have to deal with a salesman breathing down your back. So for me its more relaxing!

I dont know how much of you are car enthusiast. But the GTR is finally coming to the United States. Even though i cant afford it. Its still great to see it in the U.S. It isnt cheap, about $70K. Twin turbo AWD 3.8L V6 makes

480 hp @ 6,800rpm & 430 tq from 3,200 to 5,200. 0-60 timed @ 3.4 sec.

1/4 mile @ 11.7 @ 117 mph (second to the 07 911 turbo) 74 mph slalom speed (second to the 08 Viper) 60-0 Stops @ 98 ft. <--record (GTR beat 2008 BMW M3 @ 100 ft)

Got some pics for ya! Enjoy.

Older Skyline & new GTR! Eh, I'll take both.

GTR having fun!

Yes, that looks nice. Looks like they got the aeros right on it.

Thing is, even though it has more drag, I think the older Skylines just looks a little more aggresive, which I like. The new one certainly is sexy though.

EDIT: I will just add, there is something Toyota-ish about the hood and lights though.

I think just having one thread focused on general car talk is okay for this forum, I merged the topics together and changed the title and subject of the main thread so it can be a bit more inclusive. The original topic was kind of swaying away from just "What kind of car do you drive?" anyway...

I think just having one thread focused on general car talk is okay for this forum, I merged the topics together and changed the title and subject of the main thread so it can be a bit more inclusive. The original topic was kind of swaying away from just "What kind of car do you drive?" anyway...
thanks, this thread is better. i can add to it! lol!

Couldn't this have just been asked in the what car do you drive thread?
um, no. That thread is asking "What car do you drive." And i dont drive the GTR. I wish i did. I actually did post in that mentioned thread.

I understand. But, like Wes said, it was kind of getting away from the topic anyway.

Since this is a car thread now,

What kind of car, realistickly, would you all like to have. Say a total of 100k to spend.

My first car would be a econimical one, a 2009 Pointiac Vibe AWD. My second would be my toy, a Dodge 1 ton Diesel. Then add in a Bully Dog Six pack engine computer, propane injection, big exhaust, heavy duty tranny to handle the torgue and hp I would be throwing at it, and big tires and rims. I figure those two would come up to about 95k and with the rest I would find a descent pontoon boat.