TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

CARS! The Car Super Thread

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^My neighbor bought a Tesla Roadster about 1.5 years ago. It's not the S model, but it is still incredibly fast for an all-electric. It is strange to drive though, as it has no "gears," and instead of a tach it has a gauge that measures how much power you are using. I think it is awesome technology, but a tad over-priced for now. Give it ten years and electric cars will be as commonplace as hybrids are now.

Yikes. Just heard of FK the other weekend. Weird name, interesting cars. Torque is a messy mistress. You can have boatloads of it but applying it to the road is completely another beast. Ive seen a FordGT Twin Turbo that had enough torque to slip on the dyno, ruining their attempts to get a good reading because it had Cobra R tires and not wider, legal slick tires. But that is pretty nuts. I need to watch that episode of TG. All Ive seen are pictures of the FK.

I'm still not totally sold on the front end of the Karma....but I'll say that overall it looks very nice in person. In fact, if you didn't know the story of its production, or see any of its badges, you'd think it just rolled off the line at Aston Martin or somewhere similar. It certainly drew a crowd when one rolled through town recently.

Apparently one is near me...which, well, we dont see many exotics. A friend of mine who is into cars had one park in a parking lot he was in and was like "wtf is this?" and had to google it to figure it out. The grill is definitely questionable. However the rest of the car is pretty nice.

Unfortunately it's not really up to them - especially if someone passes legislation similar to the hybrid tax benefit from several years ago.

Anyways, several years ago, well before the 1M was announced, I said I would kill for an m version of the 1 series hatch. Obviously the 1m didn't quite meet my desire for an odd number of doors, as fantastic as that car may be (and that still may end up my next car). So I was happy to see this concept, the M135

m135.jpg.290e4ec5b0891cdea1b21d88d598ed01.jpg

However, come to find out, its not really a proper M car in regards to it being thoughtfully re-engineered. It's pretty much just a sport package with stickers =/

My facebook had a picture somewhere of an F1 car on the wall sideways as an alternative to pictures. That bookshelf thing is great.

I also agree, the Focus RS Hatch does look better. I would expect a lot more from BMW.

While I do love cars, I don't know a ton about them. I do know that a guy a couple houses down from me has a gray Tesla Roadster, though. Every summer, sometimes multiple times a summer, a giant double-decker semi from Tesla comes to his house. Not sure if they are fixing something, doing regular maintenance, or what they're doing. Either way, it's pretty sweet, and dead silent when it goes by.

^My neighbor bought a Tesla Roadster about 1.5 years ago. It's not the S model, but it is still incredibly fast for an all-electric. It is strange to drive though, as it has no "gears," and instead of a tach it has a gauge that measures how much power you are using. I think it is awesome technology, but a tad over-priced for now. Give it ten years and electric cars will be as commonplace as hybrids are now.

But they don't compete in the same market as IC cars.

By the time they get battery technology to the point where they can make a fully electric car that has a range of 300 miles, can charge in two hours (without using a "quick charge" cycle that destroys the batteries in 5-7 years), and isn't weighed down by a vast array of rechargeables, hydrogen fuel cells will be able to produce a car that fits in with how we use cars today far more effectively.

People want a car that they can refuel in minutes and will last for more than 100 miles. Fully electric vehicles simply can't do this and I don't foresee them doing this in the next 20 years.

This all ignores the fact that there's an incredibly high chance that the energy source you use to charge your electric car is likely not very environmentally friendly so it's hardly a fully ecological choice.

^Sorry I offended you by making a gross generalization. I just think that Tesla will begin to be able to make these cars cheaper within the next decade, as technology allows, and people will jump on the electric car idea if their lifestyle allows it. Sure it's not for everyone, but until I actually see a production car with hydrogen fuel cells I won't be convinced.

^Sorry I offended you by making a gross generalization. I just think that Tesla will begin to be able to make these cars cheaper within the next decade, as technology allows, and people will jump on the electric car idea if their lifestyle allows it. Sure it's not for everyone, but until I actually see a production car with hydrogen fuel cells I won't be convinced.

No offence taken at all, this is a discussion forum. Different opinions are kind of the point

I think you hit the nail on the head there, "If their lifestyle allows it". I'm not sure how large the market is for a car with ~100 miles range and an 8 hour charge cycle.

On the hydrogen point, firstly I think Honda do actually have a hydrogen car for sale in the Californian market (it's the only one worldwide that can support it currently!) but the issue isn't making a car that can run on hydrogen, they've been doing that for years and can do it at a decent price. The issue is getting the hydrogen and then storing, transporting and getting it into the vehicle at the other end. Not to get too bogged down in chemistry, but essentially it takes more energy to obtain h2 than it releases in the cell. This means you need a "green" power station to get the hydrogen and then there has to be a mass rollout of hydrogen delivery pumps in gas stations.

Certainly not in the next decade or two, but I don't think it's impossible.