TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

CARS! The Car Super Thread

I can try to get a picture next time I see it, it's always parked on the street near my apartment. It has to be at least 2010 I would say, it looks brand new. Its a silver/blue ish color, red vents on the hood. Its a nice looking car. And yeah the 1M is pretty special to see, I'm pretty jealous of the guy that owns it.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

New Car

Nice! I like the look of the 2011's headlights more than the 2012's, but you definitely can't go wrong with a WRX! I hope to upgrade to one someday from my 2.5i. I hope you enjoy, they are really fun cars, as I'm sure you know.

I have read this several times, I cant find anything significant. I heard something about the trim color of the headlights changing but overall the shape is what I like. The rest of the car is just gorgeous and MY the thing has performance. Im comfortable shifting now and its a blast. My thought is always "wheres the nearest on-ramp..."

That and Im glad I went with full manual car. Been a bit of a learning curve...but its hella fun now. Absolutely thrilled with the choice.

Awesome! Congratulations - and a fine choice.

As for the stick-shift I will repeat what I said on Facebook a few weeks back

New cars come with more and more gadgets and buttons, yet there's one that's getting harder and harder to find. It's puzzling because this one gives you more control over what the car is doing, makes you a better (more attentive) driver, and is simply fun to use. I am of course talking about: the clutch pedal.

Cameron.

Completely agree. Ive always wanted a stick but just never did for whatever reason. It does enhance the driving experience. Still not the smoothest or the quickest on the clutch but Ill get there before summer and then Im taking this thing some place I can stretch the suspension a bit and burn up some high octane fuel.

Still, while Im sometimes still daunted by that somewhat tricky shift from neutral to 1st (Especially in a WRX...1st is just pure torque and worthless except to do 15mph) but its worth it every time I nail it. Even more so when I nail 2nd to 3rd because by then the turbo is singing and all is well with the world

I'm just curious as to how he judges their driving ability...? And most young people aren't that great to begin with..

Because he thinks that the most skilled drivers are people like him that drive little scion Xa's with a lowering kit, 3 inch exhaust tip, stylish rims and stickers all over it. He has to find SOMETHING about the nice car to make fun of. BTW the XA is a joke. His manual Xa is slower to 60 than my 2002 Buick Regal.

^ 0-60 time is such a minor part of a car's worth - there are many, many factors that go into making a car enjoyable to drive, responsiveness being a huge one. I'd wager that a Scion is far more responsive than your Regal.

Now if it was a Buick Grand National .. Mmmmm

Cameron.

Top Gear was always suggested to me on Netflix, but i never bothered checking it out i was like "meh, a show about cars, lame cars and fancy ones i'll never own" until i actually watched it!

As most of you know the cast is hilarious and sometimes they go on these adventures or "challenges" across the globe, awesome show! They prove you can get a decent car for pennies and that plenty of them will still go on for a good while after they are running on "empty", what about the ridiculous mods? I skimmed through all 14 seasons on there in the past month and a half As for my car? Well it's just a cheap Honda Accord...(standard, 4C)

^^Fair enough, I'm just saying that he may have a skewed perspective on what makes a good driver. Some cars are just great how they are, and the money spent putting those worthless (IMO) upgrades on the Scion could be spent to buy... a better car in the first place, like even a Tc. I do love my Regal though. It feels like I'm sitting on a leather couch in my living room. It is the most comfortable car I've ever driven.

I love people who watch Top Gear and think its all meant to be serious. Theres definitely a lot of satire in it and you need to watch it as entertainment more than informative. Sure, they do some good reviews from time to time but their bias is also a source of fun. The whole joke on James May being Captain slow and Hamster being small and Jeremy being fat - just meant to be funny and then they play off of it usually on how it applies to their cars.

I love the show. One of my faves. I dont care if they hate american cars or not. Sometimes they are right on the money as far as that goes. Other times, not so much. But its just their take on things.

I did like how they likened the Subaru WRX to the kind of car that feels like its trying to head to the pub just to get into a fight. To which I completely agree!

^My friend was complaining that all the kids at his college has nice cars and cannot drive them well.

I'm just curious as to how he judges their driving ability...? And most young people aren't that great to begin with..

I remember some 19 year old almost killing me about 5 years ago driving from Atlanta to Wild Adventures and back.

• 2 weeks later...

I know it's probably already been discussed somewhere in here, but the new Scion model, the FR-S, is coming out this Spring. It's Scion's first RWD car, as well as being Toyota's first in a while, if I'm recalling my facts correctly. Here's hoping it'll drive as nicely as it looks.

I know it's probably already been discussed somewhere in here, but the new Scion model, the FR-S, is coming out this Spring. It's Scion's first RWD car, as well as being Toyota's first in a while, if I'm recalling my facts correctly. Here's hoping it'll drive as nicely as it looks.

It doesn't look like that anymore, but it nevertheless doesn't look bad. Take a look at this review of it and its Subaru twin:

2013 Subaru BRZ and 2013 Scion FR-S

^They look almost exactly the same! I wonder how Scion is going to sell any, since Subaru is a more established name in the industry, and consumers probably have more trust in it.

I think they'll both sell fine. While it's true that Subaru has been in the game much longer, and that a lot more people are probably aware of the brand, Scion has sold plenty of cars since 2003 (think of how many xB's and tC's you see on the road), and they cater to a newer generation of car buyers. Since the cars look almost the same, I think it'll probably come down to which brand name people are more attracted to: the modern edginess of Scion, or the established reliability of Subaru.

I'd be more inclined to buy the Scion, but I do take some bias (I drive a Scion currently, and I love it).

It's really a shame how much less aggressively styled the FR-S production version is. I figured it would be toned down, but it just doesn't look anywhere near as sinister as before. I loved that concept, but am not really a fan of the production versions' styling. Oh well, I still hope it does well as I don't like seeing car companies do poorly.

After a few months of searching around, I've finally got a new TPCar. 1 Owner since new, 8 years old, 43000 miles and a crapload of extras. I can't wait to get insurance sorted on monday!

IMG_4092.jpeg.825d9852f5ecc50840656a29bb1ef0a0.jpeg

1.6 litres of motoring fun!

IMG_4095.jpeg.bd4ad9ebcaa7a71b869a1de6511f5eba.jpeg

Panoramic sunroof

IMG_4096.jpeg.898237407d27cba4a905bf2a4e54c60f.jpeg

Sorry about the glare. Nice leather steering wheel and half leather sports seats.

They only put 5k per year? is that normal where you live? In the States, which I know we do a lot of driving, 10-15k is normal per year. 5k per year would be like finding a gold mine. Even if you find a gently used car that has only 8-9k per year its quite nice. Mini's look like a lot of fun. And I see you got a stick.