TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

I'm going to Minneapolis

I'll be in the Minneapolis area for a few days, and I was wondering if there are any parks worth visiting while I'm down there. I'm more of a "GP" kinda guy and I'll ride any coaster if it's huge and scary. So anything good down there? Thanks for any help

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There are three parks nearby in Como Town (small), Nickelodeon Universe at the Mall of America (really cool looking indoor park), and Valleyfair (a pretty big park).

Here's RCDB's (Roller Coaster DataBase) listing for each park.

http://rcdb.com/qs.htm?quicksearch=Minneapolis

Mall of America is an attraction in itself and the park inside is really nice.

Valleyfair is a pretty standard Cedar Fair park. So if you're remotely into parks, which you are since you're on this site, I would hit up both.

For sure hit up Valleyfair and MOA. Those are at least two days in itselves. Como Town does provide a kiddy coaster so if you want to whore it up, go there. Now if you want to go off the beaten path, Carnival Thrillz (yes that's how you spell it) in Duluth has a coaster. Five days will be enough for you. Don't forget other attractions such as the Science Museum and many of the area parks.

Just made this trip in May, here is what I can tell you.

Nick Universe - Well worth the time. The place is just fun and not a bad price. Three of the coasters are newer and very smooth. Also the Log Flume is not to be missed.

Also, find a local Burger King for a $7 off a daily wristband coupon. You can not get the coupon at the Mall of America Burger King. If all else fails, there should be a coupon at welcome centers.

ValleyFair - It took us a day in a half in late may to do the entire park minus some random flats. Whatever you do GO TO THE RUDY COLBY SHOW if it is still there. The guy is amazing.

Como Town - Skip the place unless you are into credits. It was depressing to see the animals there in cages that looked very small. You can tell the workers and the town care (were over 20k there opening weekend when we went.) Just not worth it to me.

If you're into aquariums at all, be sure to check out the Underwater Adventures Aquarium in the basement of the MOA.

I was skeptical because it's an aquarium in the basement of a mall, but I was pleasantly surprised by the size and quality.

Also, don't let the theming of the Moose Mountain Adventure Golf fool you. It's a terrible and boring course. I wish I would have just skipped it and saved the money.

Like someone else said, the mall is an attraction in itself. It took me a whole day to get through it, and that was hauling ass.

Definitely don't skip the Log Chute in Nick Universe. One of the best I've been on. I was also surprised by how fun the coasters in there were. I was only expecting to like the SpongeBob coaster, but they were all really fun.

As for Valleyfair!

It's your standard Cedar Fair Park, and I loved it. I had a lot of fun. I was there in the beginning of August last year, and I barely had any waits for any of the coasters. I'd say Renegade had the longest wait, and that was only about 30 minutes.

Have a fun and safe trip!

Lived in the Twin Cities for years, still go back all the time...

Como Town - you NEED to go and check out Drop Zone. Seriously, I'm not even joking, this has to be one of the best drop rides in the country. Not kidding. It's really small, so people pass it by, but it is so much fun.

Nick Universe - IMO, Camp Snoopy was a way better theme, but NU has some good new rides. Spongebob is not the most exciting or forceful coaster on the planet, but it's worth a ride. Avatar is a lot of fun, but the wait is brutal. Ripsaw is a great way to see the park. And Fairly Odd Coaster is your standard spinning family coaster. Definitely also check out Tak Attack (I think that's what it's called now) and the Jimmy Neutron ride. And DO NOT LEAVE, I repeat, DO NOT LEAVE without riding Log Chute, even if you don't like getting wet! It is the best log flume in the Midwest, without question, and one of the best in the country.

Valleyfair - This was my first permanent amusement park, so I have a lot of fond memories of it. Steel Venom is a good way to kick off your visit. Wild Thing is tall and fast, but very boring. You can't ride Mild Thing, so don't worry about it. Excalibur is terrible - worth skipping if you don't care about credits. Corkscrew is photogenic, and that's about it. High Roller has good air and a terrible finale, but it's historic. Renegade is the jewel of the park. Ride many times and in both the back and the front. Other rides you should do - Xtreme Swing and Flying Trapeze are both a lot of fun. Riptide is good if you're into that kind of ride. Definitely do RipCord if you are willing to pay for it.

My suggestion would be to Como Town, then go over to the Mall of America and explore (do the park, but explore the mall as well). Then the next day, do Valleyfair in the morning and explore the city in the afternoon and evening (it's kind of a trek to get to Valleyfair, but it isn't bad). If you have time, I highly, highly recommend the Mill City Museum It's right by the river, near the bridge that collapsed a couple years back, you can't miss it. If you like theatre, the Guthrie is outstanding. The Cities have a really nice art scene and there is a lot to do.

P.S. OMG, holyblakbelt, I love your avatar.

For those of us who most likely will not be getting out to Minnesota any time soon...

Could someone please explain what is so awesome about the Log Chute at MOA?

Honestly, you just have to ride it. The drops are both really good, the theming is excellent, and you get to wave at people eating lunch. It's impossible to describe how awesome it is.