TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Heading to Williamsburg for BGE & KD

nerdboyrockstar

I'm heading to Williamsburg to visit Busch Gardens Europe and King's Dominion. I have a limited time in the area.. 2 1/2 days.

I was wondering if you think I should dedicate 1 full day to King's Dominion and 1 and 1/2 days to Busch Gardens Europe.. or vice versa..

Also, I'll be there August 13th-15th, so Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. Would Thursday at Kings Dominion be okay and then Friday and Saturday at Busch?

Is there any kind of flash pass/express for purchase for these parks?

Thanks!

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Be prepared for slanted views from individuals who are overzealous in favoring one park over the other.

Full day on Thursday at KD should be sufficient

Friday and half day on Saturday at BGW should work. BGE tends to be the more corwded park.

KD has no Fast Pass options

BGE has Quick Queue (someone on TPR should be able to provide details)

A fulll day for both seems like a good idea...

KD is more of a rides park while BGW is more of an atmosphere park so if you want to spend more time focusing on rides and coasters, KD is the park for you. If you prefer shows, atmosphere, and taking in theming, BGW is the better park.

Quick Queue should be just like Fastpass. It costs money, but I've never had to use it so I can't tell you how much it costs.

Busch's crowds can vary greatly so I would suggest hitting all the major rides (coasters, water rides, DarKastle) as early as possible so you don't have to wait in longer lines later in the day and you can spend the rest of the day taking in atmosphere, getting in rerides, and taking in all the shows.

Both parks have their pros and cons. Personally I would suggest spending more time at the park which suits your tastes better.

Yeah, I come from the school of Disney and Universal so I'm all about atmosphere, shows and theming.. but I can also hit up a park just for coasters.

The culture shock of non-Orlando parks already set in for me. You just have to get over your firsts.. like no wait-time signage, a lot coasters themed to parking lots.. haha

But yeah, I love theme parks and rides.. as long as I'm not in a middle of those gang wars I hear so much about or at that the infamous "Fantazy Land" lol.. I should be good. So I'm excited for both BGW and KD.

Oh, and thanks for your help.

Personally, I would go to Kings Dominion longer, if you like more thrill rides, or go to Busch Gardens longer if you like shows. To sum it up, if you are an adrenaline junky, go to Kings Dominion longer, if you are in favor of family rides and shows go to Busch Gardens longer. I would also recommend Six Flags America in Largo, Maryland (very close to Washington DC) for plenty of good rides.

Hey, I definitely wish I could go longer but I don't have that much time in the area. I looked up the Six Flags park too.. It looks awesome.. but it's gonna be about a 2-hour+ drive there and back which I won't be able to do on my last half-day.

Thanks so much for your help though.

Hey, I definitely wish I could go longer but I don't have that much time in the area. I looked up the Six Flags park too.. It looks awesome.. but it's gonna be about a 2-hour+ drive there and back which I won't be able to do on my last half-day.

Thanks so much for your help though.

Sure, glad I could help. Busch Gardens is about the same distance from Kings Dominion as Six Flags America. If I were you, I would hit up Six Flags America and Kings Dominion, but if you can't, I am sure you will have a fine time a Busch Gardens, be sure to get a last ride on Big Bad Wolf before it is gone forever.

Yeah, I'll definitely be riding Big Bad Wolf. First and last time so it's pretty sad regardless. Unless I hate it. haha

Google maps is telling me that Six Flags is almost 3 hours from the Busch area.. is that right? If it is, I definitely won't have the time. It says Kings is a little over an hour out.. I'll be staying in the Williamsburg area.

^SFA is about three hours from Williamsburg, and DC traffic can be a pain in the neck. There is a way to bypass the DC Beltway mess--just take the Carmel Church/Bowling Green exit (one exit north of KD on I-95) to Rt. 301, which will get you to SFA. It's longer as the crow flies, but less stressful and prone to delays.

But you're probably better off just sticking to KD and BGE.

Yeah, I'll definitely be riding Big Bad Wolf. First and last time so it's pretty sad regardless. Unless I hate it. haha

Google maps is telling me that Six Flags is almost 3 hours from the Busch area.. is that right? If it is, I definitely won't have the time. It says Kings is a little over an hour out.. I'll be staying in the Williamsburg area.

Oh! I thought you were staying near Kings Dominion, I was saying Six Flags and Busch Gardens were the same distance away from Kings Dominion, just opposite directions. If you are staying near Williamsburg, then I would go to Busch Gardens and Kings Dominion. Good Luck, and have a fun trip.

Bring your food and eat at your car at KD, there is nothing there worth it. But if you must, just get a slice of pizza from any place that sells it (They all taste the same)

At Busch Gardens I prefer Trappers Smokehouse (You will smell where this one is at) and La Cucina's (Near Apollos Chariot). Chuck could help you with more places to try there.

^Personally, I think the Smokehouse has slipped a bit over the past couple of seasons (not bad, just not as good as it once was), while the Italian restaurant in San Marco has really improved (especially the cannelloni). The buffet over by Griffon is a bit overpriced, but the mini-corn dogs are great (they should offer these at other locations), as is the pork loin (fried chicken is kind of dry). If you can handle character dining, the Sesame Street buffet is actually pretty good (nice mix of kiddie stuff and adult food).

As for KD, well, that's tricky. The burgers and fries at the Juke Box Diner are decent, but overpriced. Outer Hanks Shrimp Shack is probably your best bet for a decent meal.

Yeah, I'll stick to BGE and KD.

Can you recommend any eats for me at KD? I've heard the food is pretty bad and overpriced but there has to be something worthwhile. I don't wanna starve. lol

They food at Kings Dominion is great (Starbucks, Boardwalk Fries, Cinnabon, etc.), but it is a bit costly. On the other hand, my girlfriend has got food poisoning twice from Busch Gardens food. Overall, I would reccomend you bring lots of cold water (they let you bring 1 bottle into the park), and pack your lunch for a cheap, fun trip. I would recommend Kings Dominion's funnel cakes though with Strawberry's and whipped cream!

Yeah, I'll stick to BGE and KD.

Can you recommend any eats for me at KD? I've heard the food is pretty bad and overpriced but there has to be something worthwhile. I don't wanna starve. lol

They food at Kings Dominion is great (Starbucks, Boardwalk Fries, Cinnabon, etc.), but it is a bit costly. On the other hand, my girlfriend has got food poisoning twice from Busch Gardens food. Overall, I would reccomend you bring lots of cold water (they let you bring 1 bottle into the park), and pack your lunch for a cheap, fun trip. I would recommend Kings Dominion's funnel cakes though with Strawberry's and whipped cream!

Boardwalk Fries are the only thing I eat at KD anymore. Speaking of food poisoning, the last time I ate at the fried-chicken joint at KD, I actually had to run to the nearby men's room and puke. (Something just wasn't right.) Haven't eaten there since.

Everyone's taste vary, but the general consensus is that food at Busch Gardens is superior to Kings Dominion.

It is good until about 5-10 hours later. I alaways pack my lunch when I go to either park because of the prices, plus nothing beats a roast beef sandwich and a mountain dew on a nice day at either park!

Thanks for all the help. KD's food is still up in the air but I'll try to remember all the advice. I keep hearing KD's food is so overpriced but I thought I was used to theme park prices. Then I saw that a bottle of water there is like $4.

For BGE, I'm gonna get the meal deal online and probably do Trappers or Das Festhaus during the show. Does anyone know how much Bistro 205 is? I'm not crazy about character dining.. If I go for the food, I usually end up running to the buffet when a character gets to the table next to me.

Thanks so much guys. I can't wait! 8 days!

^^When I tried Bistro 205 out earlier this season, I recall that it cost around $19 for the all-you-can-eat buffet and salad bar (and that was with a season-pass discount).