TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

B&M and 240 feet...

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm thinking more towards the money issue as some others has said. Isn't B&M like the BMW or Mercedes Benz of coasters. You pay a premium to have their coasters like you pay a premium to have those cars. Similar to what others have said about other coasters being larger and longer yet around the same price as a smaller B&M.

Maybe no one is willing to pay that much for a large B&M coaster when they can get a larger one and longer one for roughly the same price from another coaster's company.

Then again, other explanation on this board makes a lot of sense as well, could be a combination of them.

^I dont agree with the comparison of B&M being the Mercedes Benz of coasters. I don't think its every parks first choice. I would say it is more like Ford, where you know what you are buying because so many other parks have a similar ride made by the same company. Like Ford, B&M is reliable and offer a great ride but you arent getting anything innovative or unique from other parks. With Intamin you are getting more of a luxury type product. You are going to get an innovative product, unique to other parks, however you may pay a little more on the maintainence. B&M just has a few models of products that they have profected over time. Someone stated earlier that is the reason they always have a 230ft lift hill so they can make simple changes with their coasters to make it work within a certain park. If I was a park CEO and I had the money to get something trully unique, Intamin would be the way to go. If I wanted a basic fun ride that is a little conservative I would go with B&M.

^I think that's the first time I've ever seen the words "ford" and "reliable" in the same sentence, I mean the huge difference between Fords and B&M's are that B&M's DON'T kill you. But I completely get what you're trying to explain and was a good point and very similar to how I think about it

People saying is a one trick pony idk bout that. B&M can be innovative but its also up to the park to say they want something unique. Hulk is a launch coaster from b&m. People saying they have a few models they have more than just a few.

I read some where in an interview that Claude and Walter both say that they personal don't like to go over the 230 mark as it just a waist of conetic energy and you have to add brakes to keep check. As with some of the later BandM Hypers the have trims mid ride.

Explanation, why build something like a 300ft coaster with one trick to bring the public in, bigger is never normally better, look at Nemesis, tiny in comparison to Raptor, Alpengeist etc...... But still generally considered the much better ride!!!

B&M know how to build good coasters that are A) Reliable, and B) Fun! If this means that they are staying below 250ft, then so be it!

Nemmy is an unfair comparison. Part of what makes Nemmy what it is is the surrounding area and the fact that a large portion is underground. If that ride were perched up above the ground it would first look silly and second not be as effective. Sure its intense but it wouldnt be nearly as good without all the interaction. And most parks dont have that kind of terrain.

How about the BTR's? Intense, compact layouts that make sense and are cheap by comparison.

But Im pretty sure it was about the supports and track style that B&M just doesnt feel an urgent need to break that barrier. What they do now is quite good. Diamondback in the back seats is RIDICULOUS airtime compared to Nitro. Nitro feels so tame...so theyve taken their design limit and built within it creating better trains and actually reshaping their hills and transitions to be more intense. Diamondback is a winner. Standing airtime? Ill take it every time.

Diamondback in the back seats is RIDICULOUS airtime compared to Nitro. Nitro feels so tame...so theyve taken their design limit and built within it creating better trains and actually reshaping their hills and transitions to be more intense. Diamondback is a winner. Standing airtime? Ill take it every time.

I found that Nitro had better and more airtime...by a long shot. Nitro is also miles better than Diamondback, in my opinion. Diamondback was very tame and forceless. I barely felt any air on DB and the helices seemed like we were just going in circles aimlessly, whereas on Nitro I could easily feel the blood rushing away from my head. Not to mention the trim brake was on so damn hard it made you jerk forward significantly. Older B&Ms are usually more intense than newer ones, look at any model (invert, floorless, etc.) and that's usually the case.

• 2 weeks later...
^You say that now because you are getting a huge Intamin!!!! Would you rather be getting that B&M hyper carowinds is getting?

The hyper is not confirmed last time I checked, but if I were Carowinds patrons, I would be happy to have a nice new B&M no matter what the model, especially after just getting a boomerang. Keep in mind as well that Intamin pays the price in maintenance, while B&Ms usually hardly ever break down. Another thing you must consider, is B&M just takes orders from parks about what the parks want, and B&M gets the cash. Maybe most parks don't want a 300 foot maintenance nightmare, rather opting for a reliable 150-240 feet coaster from B&M.

The hyper may not be confirmed but it's one of the worst-kept secrets for 2010 (along with KD's Giga). And given the shape of the footers (they extend from the construction area inside the park down along the eastern edge of the park to the south entrance in a narrow swath) what else would it be?

I found that Nitro had better and more airtime...by a long shot. Nitro is also miles better than Diamondback, in my opinion.

Please don't say that. I am actually looking forward to riding Diamondback for the first time next June.

I actually do like the helix and final two bunny hops on Nitro, it's the first two thirds of the ride I can do without. Still, Nitro is better overall than 90 percent of the steel coasters I've been on. ...So I can't dislike it that much.