TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Darien Lake (SFDL) Discussion Thread

Also parks are constantly tracking attendance, by the hour at most parks. They have the data to justify their hours for maximum profit. A couple years ago CP tried their "summer nights" thing with midnight closes most of July and August. If you look at the calendar how it's back to just Fridays and Saturdays.

If I recall correctly after most parks in the CF chain underperformed on attendance last year they flat out stated in either their 3rd or 4th quarter conference calls that schedules would better align with demand. It's only good business to be open when there's demand. For Darian Lake that may mean more 8-9pm closes or shut the rides at 930p but keep shops open till 10 to get the stragglers who may have stayed for a show.

Parks to everything for a reason and they have the data to back it up. They want to maximize profits, if that meant staying open till 1am they would.

I understand, keeping all the staff on for an extra hour or 2 could cost the park a lot of money especially if the park is emptying out by that time and is not being utilized properly. This might also push some staff members into overtime hours which could be costly. They would have to staff food stands and gift shops longer too. Also the labor laws in NY state are most likely a factor, most businesses at least from my experience don't want to chance anything when it comes to the timing laws for younger workers.

Crime is also more likely to happen at night, so perhaps they want to reduce the possibility of incidents by reducing the time the park is open.

Also parks are constantly tracking attendance, by the hour at most parks. They have the data to justify their hours for maximum profit. A couple years ago CP tried their "summer nights" thing with midnight closes most of July and August. If you look at the calendar how it's back to just Fridays and Saturdays.

If I recall correctly after most parks in the CF chain underperformed on attendance last year they flat out stated in either their 3rd or 4th quarter conference calls that schedules would better align with demand. It's only good business to be open when there's demand. For Darian Lake that may mean more 8-9pm closes or shut the rides at 930p but keep shops open till 10 to get the stragglers who may have stayed for a show.

Parks to everything for a reason and they have the data to back it up. They want to maximize profits, if that meant staying open till 1am they would.

I understand, keeping all the staff on for an extra hour or 2 could cost the park a lot of money especially if the park is emptying out by that time and is not being utilized properly. This might also push some staff members into overtime hours which could be costly. They would have to staff food stands and gift shops longer too. Also the labor laws in NY state are most likely a factor, most businesses at least from my experience don't want to chance anything when it comes to the timing laws for younger workers.

Crime is also more likely to happen at night, so perhaps they want to reduce the possibility of incidents by reducing the time the park is open. I don't see this as a big deal.

Crime is also more likely to happen at night, so perhaps they want to reduce the possibility of incidents by reducing the time the park is open.

This was one of the first things I thought of. The general path lighting isn't great is many parts of the park so it could just be a general safety and security issue they want to minimize/partially avoid.

Also considering the fact that six flags great adventure had its summer weeknight hours cut from 10 to 9:30, this doesn’t surprise me at all. There are currently no six flags parks that are open until 10pm on summer weeknights, it even Six Flags Magic Mountain. It does not shock me that this change was made considering the attendance is much less at Darien Lake compared to some of the bigger parks that have worse hours.

^ that I’ve seen, there’s no sign of construction whatsoever within the park, and if anything - I don’t assume that means much.

Skyscreamer’s queue house is the same of the Twister which was removed in 2018 for this new ride. They did add a little extra as well as a Go Fast Pass queue but all in all the footprint for that is relatively small. Plus with how the queue is off to the side instead of being wrapped around the ride’s footprint as it is at other parks, observing guests can get up close and personal with the attraction if they so choose which I think is a nice touch

It is still a bit early for construction. Also don't forget that SFDL's most logical expansion areas are technically within the park. The hill where a water slide used to stand could easily have construction markers there now and nobody would know. The other spot is the path past ROS, again markers could be there, but not visible to the park public

It is still a bit early for construction. Also don't forget that SFDL's most logical expansion areas are technically within the park. The hill where a water slide used to stand could easily have construction markers there now and nobody would know. The other spot is the path past ROS, again markers could be there, but not visible to the park public

The hill is actually quite visible from multiple areas within the park.

For anyone who is interested, below I have a link to the 2019 Edition of Ignite the Night. Something I have enjoyed with going out and seeing the show as much as I have this season compared to last season is that this show tends to get quite large crowds now that the summer season is in full swing. 2018 level crowds simply could not compare. I think the closest comparison I have to some of the larger crowds I've seen this year are Kingdom Bound (the laser lawn is PACKED during Kingdom Bound for those who aren't familiar). This specific recording was from one of the first showings back in May.

Two songs were silenced for copyright, however the rest of the show seems to be alright! Enjoy!

[youtu_be]https://youtu.be/BptbXlO3gg8[/youtu_be]

Blast Off is finally open for the year. There is now an extra seatbelt underneath the restraints for some reason. Pirate, Corn Popper and Motocoaster all closed today. Moto’s been down awhile now, I swear the launch system has issues every year for a long time.

Indiana Beach's shot tower also added a super tight seatbelt underneath the restraints this year. The ride ops were very annoyed, and it definitely removed any "pop" of air that existed at the top.

I don't know why S&S decided to ruin the one fun part of the upshot towers. Real drop towers are so much more exhilarating already.

Indiana Beach's shot tower also added a super tight seatbelt underneath the restraints this year. The ride ops were very annoyed, and it definitely removed any "pop" of air that existed at the top.

I don't know why S&S decided to ruin the one fun part of the upshot towers. Real drop towers are so much more exhilarating already.

Pop of air is way less fun than it was with the belts, also the location is a problem. Since it’s tucked so far back, pretty much everybody didn’t notice it and the restraints had to come back up, slowing down operations like crazy.

S&S tower rides have been modified recently. Based on reading through threads here (though I can't seem to find info now, or where I read them, lol), some received an additional belt on the side, and some received a new ratcheting restraint system in lieu of the belt. This goes for most/all S&S towers, it seems? Not sure if the reason for it, but there you go. I have yet to see them in person, so I'm just going based on what I've read around the other threads.

Does anyone know why The Pirate is down? Was down all last season.

Corn Popper seems to be up and down. I've been on it this season. Wondering why it is down so much? Maybe lack of staff.

Motocoaster I believe was open last weekend.

Does anyone know why The Pirate is down? Was down all last season.

Corn Popper seems to be up and down. I've been on it this season. Wondering why it is down so much? Maybe lack of staff.

Motocoaster I believe was open last weekend.

Pirate needs a part that is likely very very difficult to get since parts aren’t being produced anymore for old ships like that one.

Overall, Corn Popper has been doing pretty well these past few years, considering it’s age. I remember a few years ago when it was constantly down because the hydraulics and all those pistons didn’t want to cooperate.

I’m just glad Six Flags likes adding new flat rides to it’s parks a lot, because pretty much all our flats are so old to the point where they can’t even get parts to fix them. I’m just hoping to see a few more here (Pirate and Sleighride are BEGGING to be retired) are added these next few years.

As for Moto, every year it seems to have a few weeks of downtime because the launch wants to act up. It was closed mid-week last week when I was there and was down again today.

I am sure they could, but when was the last time you heard about a park putting in a new pirate ship ride

Dollywood just this year?

Holiday World a few years ago?

I am sure there are others too. It’s not quite as unusual as you may think

I would think they could replace Pirate with a newer model fairly easily. Nicely lit with LED's of course.

The park could replace both the Pirate and the Sleighride with newer models of both rides. As you have mentioned, LED lights would be very nice and would increase the overall aesthetics of the park, especially at night in my opinion.

^ A few years ago, Canobie bought a new cabin for their pirate ship (as opposed to replacing the whole ride).

That being said, I feel like Six Flags would rather just buy a new ride rather than maintain an older one. What's easier to market?

^ There's been times where parks have gotten 2 or 3 rides in one year though, SFOT got a villain trifecta, SFFT got 3 flats as well, and SFOG got a super loop and a tilt a whirl. It is possible, but the chances aren't high.