TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Darien Lake (SFDL) Discussion Thread

Someone earlier mentioned about a possibility of Darien Lake getting a Skywarp for 2019, and maybe it's going in the land behind the black gate next to Ride of Steel, so maybe they're prepping and opening that area up?

I don't know, it's really weird why RoS is closed.

Don't really know why they would close down their number one ride just to prep for next year, that doesn't make any sense at all. Most likely it's a normal issue that needs repair.

ROS is still down and the train is on its transfer track. I noticed a couple people down by the lift motor in the A.M. yesterday and no one even in the area later in the day. Park was slow even with a concert though, 10- 15 minutes for everything open, grizzly run and pirate still down also.

Like I said on the last page, RoS is closed because the lift failed on Monday, causing a train to get stuck at the top of the lift hill. They are simply fixing the lift motor because it broke a few days ago.

B4154A88-BAA4-42C9-8638-A40D326599AD.thumb.jpeg.4fe460f6a4ffdfcbee598b22ff1b4395.jpeg

Here is the picture somebody posted while at the park Monday afternoon. RoS simply had a lift malfunction. No new 2019 planning or second trains.

they did have a large group from SF corporate at the park asking lots of questions. Specifically, lots of questions on why the coasters all run only one train and why the giant wheel has no lights on it.

They own La Ronde and they’re asking about one train ops? They stopped lighting the Ferris wheel at Great Adventure because they don’t feel like replacing bulbs and it’s so god damn ugly that they just decided... “eh, f*ck it” but they want the wheel lit up?

Are you sure this conversation actually took place and isn’t just a case of complete delusion that’s the manifestation of years and years of unrealistic expectations?

People act like Disney bought the park. It’s Six Flags...

We went to Darien Lake for the 4th. Let me start out by saying, Six Flags has its work cut out, particularly in the midway. The water park is fine. You want to get wet, there’s plenty of options. The water park area was PACKED.

Now for the main park. Where do I start? Some of those rides, (the pirate, which was down, and those two rides, the silver bullet and that other ride with the blue cars, are well past their expiration date and need to be replaced. I come there one a year and far too often, too many rides are down.

They desperately need to come up with an attraction that will get people in the midway. There were literally areas that had no one. And this is the Fourth of July. I still remember when I worked at DL in 1997 when the Mind Eraser opened. I swear, there were days that you couldn’t see the ground there were so many people. The same in 99 when the Superman opened. It’s been a while, DL desperately needs something MAJOR. No offense, this new coaster doesn’t quite cut it.

Old Rainbow Mountain. I would turn that hill, which is an eyesore right now, into a put put golf area.

Just a nitpick, but when it’s so hot, as it was yesterday, is it too much for DL to give FREE ice water?

when it’s so hot, as it was yesterday, is it too much for DL to give FREE ice water?

They do, as does basically every other park in America.

Except for adventureland in Iowa. They charge you for the cup. I couldn't believe that they were charging for a cup of ice water on a 95 degree day last summer.

when it’s so hot, as it was yesterday, is it too much for DL to give FREE ice water?

They do, as does basically every other park in America.

Some food stand workers at DL are jerks and will charge you for water. Most don’t charge you though. I remember the time one of them charged me for water and when I asked about why, they gave me attitude about it, some people are just jerks I guess.

As for the rest of the park, the big issues are definitely the amount of broken rides, and one train operations. They need a big draw to get people in, so that the rest of the park can see a ripple effect with big improvements to day-to-day operations.

Sometimes, out in the world, you'll get charged like 10 cents at McDonald's if you're not buying anything else. But for parks, my two worst experiences:

Six Flags St. Louis--IIRC, and I know this sounds weird, but they insisted they were only allowed to give out free ice, not free water?

Playland (Vancouver)--I purchased two full meals, so there was no "trying to get something for nothing" going on in the slightest here, but their version of free water was...a Dixie cup of room-temperature water. Thanks!

Just got back from a day at the park. I can confirm ToS was back open, as well as Grizzly Run. Close Friday were Pirate (no surprise there) and Silver Bullet. It seems like Silver Bullet has been having on and off problems for the past few years now. It seems like it might be time to upgrade to a newer, more reliable model.

I can't speak for the entire train, but I was told to go to the front seat of Predator and did. Wow - it was really good! I'd not be at all surprised if there was jackhamering galore elsewhere further back but up there was plenty of airtime. Ending is still terrible, but everything else was really good.

Ride of Steel was open and I still don't think it has aged gracefully. So many rides have that super ejector airtime now and often steeper first drops. It isn't bad, but it certainly isn't an elite level ride any more like when it first opened in 1999. It's just OK.

Tantrum is an interesting choice for a new attraction. When I look at it inside of Darien Lake, I can't help but notice that the park has a Boomerang (116 ft tall), Mind Eraser (110 ft tall), Viper (121 ft tall), and Superman (208 ft tall). Tantrum not only comes in 5th place, but is noticably smaller in footprint and length than many existing rides at the park. I'm not saying that it is a bad ride for what it is, it's just that what it is doesn't really make sense to me at this park. Galveston Historic Pleasure Pier, Oaks Park, Seaside Heights? OK, fine, they're kings of the midways at those parks. It lacks that presence to me at Darien Lake where Viper just towers over it. I don't even like the Joker coasters that much, but as a comparison point, I think it would have made far bigger of an impression in that same space than this ride.

I still like a lot of the buildings the park has (and Moose on the Loose) and want to see Six Flags really make an investment in infrastructure here, ensuring their existing rides are up and running and looking good (see also: coverless Himalaya) and running multiple trains if needed. I like the food offerings here and the fact that there's a full service restaurant in a park of this size is pretty unique. For all the negatives, I'd probably be happy to trade Michigan's Adventure for this.

Occasionally you get that, but generally if they have fountain soda they give you free water cups.

Lagoon does not offer free water either, at least at any of the locations I have been. They charge a quarter, which really isn't a big deal other than I need to carry around change. They fill up refillable season bottles with water for free though, rather than the usual $1 refill. Luckily charging for water seems to be pretty rare, and the vast majority of parks everywhere give it out for free, but a few select places are weird.

Occasionally you get that, but generally if they have fountain soda they give you free water cups.

Lagoon does not offer free water either, at least at any of the locations I have been. They charge a quarter, which really isn't a big deal other than I need to carry around change. They fill up refillable season bottles with water for free though, rather than the usual $1 refill. Luckily charging for water seems to be pretty rare, and the vast majority of parks everywhere give it out for free, but a few select places are weird.

I was at the park today, and refilled my cup with water 5 times, and wasn’t charged any of the 5 times I filled it.