TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Darien Lake (SFDL) Discussion Thread

'Cuda Falls.

What did my liver ever do to you? It did nothing to deserve this.

Word. I was excited when reading the Buffalo News this morning where they said that this would replace Cuda Falls (drink) as I was thinking that this would finally put any speculation to bed.

As far as the new slides go, how do these ride? I have ridden the basic mat racing slides and the ones at Soak City at CP although they don't have that "braided effect".

I'm all for it as long as they don't ride like this God-Awful one at Kings Island.

Well, Tropical Twister (the one in the photo above) at Kings Island is a body slide which doesn't include a mat. Rendezvous Run at Kings Island is a slide that includes a mat but, it just has basic enclosed tunnels.

maxresdefault.jpg

'Cuda Falls.

What did my liver ever do to you? It did nothing to deserve this.

Word. I was excited when reading the Buffalo News this morning where they said that this would replace Cuda Falls (drink) as I was thinking that this would finally put any speculation to bed.

As far as the new slides go, how do these ride? I have ridden the basic mat racing slides and the ones at Soak City at CP although they don't have that "braided effect".

I'm all for it as long as they don't ride like this God-Awful one at Kings Island.

Theres a video a couple pages back. Ive caught air on one similar to the one you posted at Wet n' Wild.

I have never ridden that type of slide, what is it like?

They are horrible. Beat the crap out of your back

Ok thanks! I know to stay away from them.

Yeah that would be a good idea.

Tried the identical "Caribbean Corkscrew" at Adventure Island in Tampa, FL...it was as described above.

Not sure how KrakenRACER with a similar slide design would be as a mat slide, but when I tried Tampa's version of the OctopusRACER "Riptide," it was not a bad experience. I assume the same will hold for the new slides.

I actually liked that slide at Kings Island but, of course, the last time I actually enjoyed the water park it was still called WaterWorks and the slide was known as Ultra Twister. By the way it has been described as of late it reminds of the Thunder Falls body slides at Wildwater Kingdom after they moved it from GL's Hurricane Harbor over to the then new water park in 2005. Those are back ripping slides right there.

A KrakenRACER would be a nice fit for Darien Lake as Splashtown will always need more capacity for as packed as it gets but I'm hoping the dry ride side doesn't eventually get neglected down the road. Rolling Thunder was a very good addition and with majority of the flats in the park seeming like they are almost at the end of their life cycle (see Ranger and Corn Popper as examples) they are going to need to be replaced.

^That's something that worries me a little bit as well. Now, I'll greatly take any additions and am excited for the Kraken Racer, but as for the dry side, the ride total has remained the same or went down for the past few years instead of seeing an increase. Most of the park's moves (excluding Rowdy's Ridge) have been sideways moves rather than additions. Raging Seas was replaced with Blast Off, UFO was replaced with Rolling Thunder, and Ranger was just taken away without replacement yet. Doug did say to expect this year to be similar to last year, so maybe something else will come.

I'm all for updating the older rides, but I would like to see steady expansion at the same time. It isn't just the flat department, but the park could really use a new coaster. It's good to see them rehabbing the existing coasters in the park, but I can't imagine down the line people returning year after year to ride the same ones. Predator cannot continue to operate under the same status quo either, and something is going to have to happen to it in the short term.

Premier's plan to "add something every year" is very intriguing, and they've had a good track record so far on their other properties. But I worry about their ambition to add something large, as it may be a major risk to their small, and relatively new company. Burke and Story have the experience and have done it before, but will they do it now is my question.

I've personally never ridden a slide like this one whether it be a mat or body slide, but I also rarely go on waterpark attractions.

I don't see premier abandoning the dry side of the park. Based on what we've heard already they did put money up for that side in terms of the new train and more two train ops. I would assume that since they started repainting Mind Eraser last year that they will continue to move forward with that on other attractions as well. All these moves are pretty expensive, and probably sucked up most of the capital budget used on the dry side of the park.

That's more of a maintenance expense than an additions budget, but with CNL running the show it's tough for Premier to manage their funds and see what departments get what. While there's a need to keep all attractions running good, and these projects are necessary, I can't see the park growing to much with this joint operation continuing.

Just to put it into perspective, even if Premier wanted to propose a big project every season, a new cost would arise. All of the older rides can go down at any time, and the park still needs funds for sealing midways, painting, and landscaping. Not to mention Predator, which is turning into a black hole of costs.

I have never ridden that type of slide, what is it like?

I (as well as my father) came off it bleeding, if that's any indication.

That's why I was wondering how this new Kraken Racer slide was in comparison....if anyone has ridden both before.

^I've never been on a Kraken Racer, but I've been on the generic model at Fantasy Island and the OctoRacer at Seabreeze, and they were both comfortable and exciting. It sort of reminded me of Colden Tubing if you've ever been there.

Anybody here think that the park might still RMC predator?

The chances aren't as great as they were a few years ago, but what other choice does the park have? If they go for a full GCI retrack, there's a good chance it wouldn't do anything for the ride. This isn't like Ghost Rider, where it once was a smooth ride. Predator has been rough since a little after it opened. I don't see the park scrapping it and building a new coaster there when RMC could save most of the structure.

Remember that Lake Monster was Herschend's concept, and they are gone now. Nobody quite knows what Premier's long term intentions are yet, but something needs to happen soon. The new trains have helped the ride, but it has been 10 years since the last major retrack, and the park has been holding off with any major repairs. I really believe that RMC is the ride's only hope if the park is going to keep Predator (meaning not tearing it down, just redoing it).

^I've never been on a Kraken Racer, but I've been on the generic model at Fantasy Island and the OctoRacer at Seabreeze, and they were both comfortable and exciting. It sort of reminded me of Colden Tubing if you've ever been there.

Anybody here think that the park might still RMC predator?

The chances aren't as great as they were a few years ago, but what other choice does the park have? If they go for a full GCI retrack, there's a good chance it wouldn't do anything for the ride. This isn't like Ghost Rider, where it once was a smooth ride. Predator has been rough since a little after it opened. I don't see the park scrapping it and building a new coaster there when RMC could save most of the structure.

Remember that Lake Monster was Herschend's concept, and they are gone now. Nobody quite knows what Premier's long term intentions are yet, but something needs to happen soon. The new trains have helped the ride, but it has been 10 years since the last major retrack, and the park has been holding off with any major repairs. I really believe that RMC is the ride's only hope if the park is going to keep Predator (meaning not tearing it down, just redoing it).

Yea I forgot that was all Herschends idea... I hope premier looks to RMC for that ride because they could surely make it one hell of a ride

Hey, I thought of something, maybe Darien Lake can move the lockers out of the old "Barracuda Bay" entrance and put in a soccer game similar to what Kings Island is getting or put in some claw machines and Coke vending machines in there.

News was released today about Frontier City getting a Zamperla Power Surge. Why did Darien Lake not get a power surge? That would have been way better than hearing that Darien is getting a racing waterslide

Maybe its coming? I probably wouldnt ride it though, looks more like Power Barf.

News was released today about Frontier City getting a Zamperla Power Surge. Why did Darien Lake not get a power surge? That would have been way better than hearing that Darien is getting a racing waterslide

Just because they're getting one doesn't mean we have to. The other Cedar Fair parks aren't building a Dive Coaster. I wouldn't trust a Power Surge anyways. They have been known to be very unreliable, just look at all the issues Knoebel's has had. The park is finally getting rid of most of the unreliable rides, and we don't need any more.

What's the issue with a water slide that will take lines away from other rides and be something that everyone can ride? Would you rather get nothing?

Besides, there's still a chance that the park could be doing another "one wet one wild" type of deal. Doug did say to expect this season to be very similar to the last one. But even if we don't get any new dry rides, we have the new RoS train, that could be really awesome for the ride! I'm just curious if they're going to keep the red and/or blue color scheme on it. Whether it's the slide and the train alone or the slide the train and another ride, I think 2016 is gonna be a great year for the park!