TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Darien Lake (SFDL) Discussion Thread

My guess is that CNL is going to sell Darien Lake and Elitch Gardens to Cedar Fair, since Herschened was drummed out of operating the two park and I think that there is no way that CNL is going sell at least Darien Lake to Herschened!

If Darien Lake is sold now, there's a very good chance it would be purchased by Premier as they are the current operator. I think any chance of Herschend acquiring the park probably ended when their management did, and I highly doubt Cedar Fair would even make an offer on the park. At the moment, I can't think of any other chain in the US that would want the park, so if it's not Premier it would probably have to be an independent sale.

Rolling Thunder looks pretty good. That ride definitely went up faster than I expected.

God I hope it isn't premier. I am afraid for the parks future if so. Didn't they sell off Darien when they owned the Six flags name? They dumped it off saying that the park was loosing money. Why would we want someone like premier to have a second chance at Darien Lake

God I hope it isn't premier. I am afraid for the parks future if so. Didn't they sell off Darien when they owned the Six flags name? They dumped it off saying that the park was loosing money. Why would we want someone like premier to have a second chance at Darien Lake

Shapiro/ Snyder sold it. Plus if Premier got Frontier City, Elitch Gardens, Splashtown Texas, and Waterworld; What's the matter with Darien Lake.

Because if Premiere gets Darien. it will be the same half ass status quo. poor customer service, poor upkeep of the park, and cheap half ass rides (If they decide to add any at all) Sorry to burst your bubble, but Darien lake needs a lot of help. I'm not just talking coasters, and Flat rides here.

Because if Premiere gets Darien. it will be the same half A$$ status quo. poor customer service, poor upkeep of the park, and cheap half A$$ rides (If they decide to add any at all) Sorry to burst your bubble, but Darien lake needs a lot of help. I'm not just talking coasters, and Flat rides here.

They are adding a Super Loop this year. So, Sorry to burst your bubble about no rides.

Because if Premiere gets Darien. it will be the same half A$$ status quo. poor customer service, poor upkeep of the park, and cheap half A$$ rides (If they decide to add any at all) Sorry to burst your bubble, but Darien lake needs a lot of help. I'm not just talking coasters, and Flat rides here.

They are adding a Super Loop this year. So, Sorry to burst your bubble about no rides.

And don't forget that they're getting two ProSlide Skybox slides for SplashTown as well!

For anyone who is worried about Premier, I'll just say this: I visited Darien Lake in 2012, under the management of Herschend, and I visited Elitch Gardens in 2014, under the management of Premier. Of the two, Elitch Gardens seemed like the better run park. I've got a feeling the Darien Lake locals are going to see some positive changes this year, and if you still think Premier is bad after the season, so be it. The current Premier Parks group is not the same as the one that owned the park in the 1990s and, at the moment, they're probably the best hope for the park.

Honestly a big problem with Darien Lake in the past years is that much of the park management had been there since Six Flags days. Most of them are gone, but a handful still exist. So while corporate management may have changed hands, a good chunk of local management stayed the same between SF, PARC, and Herschend. Some are still there now, most are thankfully gone.

Ugh, this thread is all over the place.

Just to bring everyone up to speed: CNL has publicly stated that they are divesting their theme park properties this year. We already knew that Premier was currently managing them following HFEC's departure months ago. This does not necessarily indicate who will ultimately end up with the properties. Obviously, the highest bidder will end up with them at the end of the day, it just depends on who is still interested later this year and how much. Parques Reunidos could sweep them up for all we know. This Premier and the original Premier that turned into Six Flags have no relation other than the CEO (& original COO) who left SF to start the new Premier.

I firmly believe that CNL is the main reason behind most of the park's issues. They haven't been willing to invest big $$$ that the park needs because they're about to divest. What TheDarkMaxim said about the actual people still in place throughout all this certainly seems to be part of it as well. Once the park sells, a lot of stuff is going to finally happen no matter who picks it up. The park is in serious need of a rebirth and realignment with some clear strategic goals, like what HFEC was trying to do, but they've got to get out of this mess first. All we can do is wait.

I agree ^ totally that CNL is the root cause of the problems. I believe that they are not giving the park enough of an operating budget for the management team to work with. I think whoever buys the park from CNL will invest what it takes to make things right. Some may even invest more than that...

Just to bring everyone up to speed: CNL has publicly stated that they are divesting their theme park properties this year. We already knew that Premier was currently managing them following HFEC's departure months ago. This does not necessarily indicate who will ultimately end up with the properties. Obviously, the highest bidder will end up with them at the end of the day, it just depends on who is still interested later this year and how much. Parques Reunidos could sweep them up for all we know. This Premier and the original Premier that turned into Six Flags have no relation other than the CEO (& original COO) who left SF to start the new Premier.

I firmly believe that CNL is the main reason behind most of the park's issues. They haven't been willing to invest big $$$ that the park needs because they're about to divest. What TheDarkMaxim said about the actual people still in place throughout all this certainly seems to be part of it as well. Once the park sells, a lot of stuff is going to finally happen no matter who picks it up. The park is in serious need of a rebirth and realignment with some clear strategic goals, like what HFEC was trying to do, but they've got to get out of this mess first. All we can do is wait.

Where did you hear that CNL is divesting their theme park properties? Is this for certain? If you got this information from a website, I would really appreciate it if you could post a link to the website or at the very least, provide the web address in a new post to this forum.

Where did you hear that CNL is divesting their theme park properties? Is this for certain? If you got this information from a website, I would really appreciate it if you could post a link to the website or at the very least, provide the web address in a new post to this forum.

It has been noted in their SEC filings. They aren't just selling off their theme parks, they are selling everything.

www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1261159/000119312515112488/d832390d10k.htm

Edited by Golddisk