TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Darien Lake (SFDL) Discussion Thread

2 hours ago, Sk610 said:

Screamscape is reporting that Six Flags corporate is going through some restructuring where the park presidents will report to the CEO and have more say in yearly park improvements.

With that being said, if you were the park president, what would you add?

I would RMC predator add a true family coaster, an interactive dark ride and a frisbee/discovery. Obviously these would be over 5-6 years, but all things the park could use.

I would put up the waterslide and do the Hurricane Harbor theme thats two years overdue before I start anything else. Then we have 3 large plots of land, two of which need dismantling. Then an unpopular SLC with a Frankentrain and 25 yr old paint job, and one train on our flagship ride, and a rough woodie, and.... 

GIF by Amazon Prime Video

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not sure of the credibility of Screamscape, but they posted 2 plausible rumors and one that seems to be a stretch.

1) Predator retracking. Low hanging fruit, as thats a yearly thing. Claimed it had a small fire though.

2) Mind Eraser SBNO this year, unless they can duct tape and glue the Frankentrain back together. New train(s) were supposedly cut from the budget.

Now for the stretch...

Ride of Steel to be removed after this season. No plausible explanation was given for why that would happen.

2 hours ago, Haymaker said:

Now for the stretch...

Ride of Steel to be removed after this season. No plausible explanation was given for why that would happen.

Screamscape (😬 grain of salt required) said that it was because of the same reason that Mind Eraser might have to go SBNO. Needs a new train(s), and the parks true owner (EPR Properties) doesn't want to pay for it.

I don't know how true the ROS rumor is, but it (and the overall decline of the park) makes me wonder if maybe EPR has other plans for the land long-term. I'm not familiar with the parks location, but is it in an area where redeveloping the land for condos or warehouses might be attractive?

Maybe we should all get to Darien Lake while we can...

• Sad 1

Meh.  Let it fail.  What do they even have that's worth saving?  All I see are Moto Coaster, Tantrum, Silver Bullet, and Corn Popper. All easily relocated, and one less park in the middle of nowhere that's a pain to visit.

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, swfan1988 said:

Screamscape (😬 grain of salt required) said that it was because of the same reason that Mind Eraser might have to go SBNO. Needs a new train(s), and the parks true owner (EPR Properties) doesn't want to pay for it.

I don't know how true the ROS rumor is, but it (and the overall decline of the park) makes me wonder if maybe EPR has other plans for the land long-term. I'm not familiar with the parks location, but is it in an area where redeveloping the land for condos or warehouses might be attractive?

Maybe we should all get to Darien Lake while we can...

No, the land has no value as anything else. His ROS rumor is suspect because the ROS train is less than 10 years old. I would also assume a new train is cheaper than tearing out a coaster of that size.

• Thanks 1

While it may seem shocking at first that Darien Lake would get rid of ROS due to needing new trains and yet invest in new trains for Mind Eraser the more I thought about it and honestly the less shocking it is. Intamin rides built in the late 1990s and 2000s were incredible but on the same token it almost seems like it gets to the point where the costs to keep said ride open is just not worth it especially when it comes to a smaller park like Darien Lake. We have already seen a similar thing play out with Volcano where it just got to the point it was better from a financial point of view for the park to just scrap it and move on. In addition to Volcano, Perilous Plunge, Tower of Terror in Austrialia, and Wicked Twister all were Intamin rides from that era and they are all gone. Plus to my knowledge we don't know what is going to happen with TTD.

With an SLC though, you hear a lot of negativity about them but one thing you rarely hear about is an SLC being plagued with maintenance problems. Yes there are a few here and there but I think a lot more of this is a reflection on the park. Darien Lake could get new trains for Mind Eraser and it would be a ride that is not going to cost loads of money down the road to keep open.

• Like 1

Wouldn't it make more sense to keep the park open since it will still print at least some money for them? I doubt EPR will be closing the park down.

As for what crash1984 said about ROS, the more I thought about it, the more it made sense. I absolutely despise the idea of ROS leaving, sure... but it is an Intamin mega coaster from 1999 and we all saw what happened to Volcano. With that being said, why isn't the same being said about Superman Ride of Steel at Six Flags America and Superman the Ride and Six Flags New England? Is Six Flags Darien Lake just cheaper with their budget than those parks? Why aren't their rumors about their versions leaving their parks? Anyways, I'm hopeful that Ride of Steel stays at SFDL, but it wouldn't shock me either if it leaves... and that the same happens at the other parks too. These early Intamin coasters have seen better days it appears.

14 minutes ago, TheAmericanKnight said:

Wouldn't it make more sense to keep the park open since it will still print at least some money for them? I doubt EPR will be closing the park down.

As for what crash1984 said about ROS, the more I thought about it, the more it made sense. I absolutely despise the idea of ROS leaving, sure... but it is an Intamin mega coaster from 1999 and we all saw what happened to Volcano. With that being said, why isn't the same being said about Superman Ride of Steel at Six Flags America and Superman the Ride and Six Flags New England? Is Six Flags Darien Lake just cheaper with their budget than those parks? Why aren't their rumors about their versions leaving their parks? Anyways, I'm hopeful that Ride of Steel stays at SFDL, but it wouldn't shock me either if it leaves... and that the same happens at the other parks too. These early Intamin coasters have seen better days it appears.

Its never been re-painted since it was built, so there's that. Maybe its rusting out somewhere. 

The whole park will close before they decide to remove Ride of Steel (good news!). Or, if they do remove it ahead of its closure, then the whole park will be closing soon after anyways. Or maybe it will turn into a water park-only like Geauga Lake...

Season 3 Episode 23 GIF by The Simpsons

Seriously though, it's in the middle of nowhere. They can't staff it. They can't maintain it. They can't afford anything in their budget. The lawsuits didn't help any.

Relocating or selling the rides is probably their best option at this point. Honestly, I'd give them 2 more seasons max. Be sure to bookmark this post.

I'm not glad about it, but there is no doubt this place is, and has been, dying.

Edited by anonymouscactus
More doom and gloom :(
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Haymaker said:

No, the land has no value as anything else. His ROS rumor is suspect because the ROS train is less than 10 years old. I would also assume a new train is cheaper than tearing out a coaster of that size.

This is what I was thinking. The park got a brand new train from Intamin in 2016, so I read that rumor and thought.... huh?

Wow...sure hope this is bullshit clickbait type rumor, if not poor Darien Lake. This was their only really good coaster for near 20 years, so if this was to be axed...if I was local I'd throw quite a tantrum

.........I'll see myself out 

• Haha 3

James Franco Reaction GIF

Six Flags can't even figure out which social account is the real one? What kind of park is this place! Did they really get their mind erased that bad...

Glad that rumor is dead, hopefully the park really does have a bright future!