TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Darien Lake (SFDL) Discussion Thread

Visited today and saw some good and bad for the first visit back since 2019. The park looks like infrastructure was updated in some spots, buildings appeared painted, grounds were manicured better etc. Some major rides were closed which was somewhat expected being a special preview weekend (RoS, Boomerang, Motocoaster, Rolling Thunder, Bumper Cars, Pirate and Predator tried to open but was down just about all day). 

I thought the fact that they weren't spacing a ton on the rides was good, unlike Great Escape the flats used all available seats and spaces. The only times we saw spacing was the Viper and Tantrum. Tantrum was the worst because it's one family/group per entire ride vehicle, so the line crawled. Viper looked worse but actually moved decent thanks to good ride ops. 

The food was sad still, but it's Six Flags, I don't go there for great meals. Still I would like my food to be warm at least. As for the clientele, Darien Lake has always attracted some less than desirable characters but it is amazing the difference between this park and say a Hershey or even Great Escape. My wife said that when my daughter and I were on a ride she even witnessed a domestic dispute that had security involved, got to say that's a new one for us. 

All on all is was a good day, lines weren't bad other than the two coasters mentioned (Mind Eraser was also open but had a walk on wait) and the park still felt clean and refreshed as compared to past seasons. Most employees were upbeat and helpful, and only a couple looked lost. It's no Disney or Universal but for a small regional park it's nice, it just needs a little more sprucing up and second trains for the major coasters. Honestly I would take that over a new ride any day because then I could enjoy what they already have more. Can't wait to get back for RoS when it opens.

2 hours ago, jconsolmagno said:

Thank you for the write up.... Still one train on Viper?

Yes unfortunately, but the ops team was fairly efficient, we maybe waited 20-30 minutes and that was almost a full que, as far back as the first turn in the line. Tantrum which had a smaller looking line was actually worse.

On 5/7/2021 at 2:43 PM, Haymaker said:

Just add it to the list of empty former ride spaces in the park. 

-Galaxy Theater

-Pirate

-Ranger

-The Slide Complex that Shall Not Be Named

Galaxy theater is used for fright fest as a haunt, so it's not unused and not empty.

Pirate will be open this year after an extensive refurbishment.

On 5/7/2021 at 6:54 PM, DarienLaker said:

That's a lot of wasted space add Grizlzy Run's now empty spot and you got Six Flags' most emptiest park. My guess is Sleigh Ride is next on the chopping block.

Sleigh ride has been completely refurbished. Definitely not going away in the next few years.

2 hours ago, Golddisk said:

Sleigh ride has been completely refurbished. Definitely not going away in the next few years.

It looked really good actually, and it seemed fairly popular on Sunday. Glad they put money into it and the Pirate. They are two classic rides that also don't have huge height requirements. Hopefully they can put more money into sprucing up existing rides each year.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Golddisk said:

Galaxy theater is used for fright fest as a haunt, so it's not unused and not empty.

Pirate will be open this year after an extensive refurbishment.

It's great to hear that the Sleighride has been refurbished! It looked in rough shape when I visited the park in 2019. It would be nice to see a photo of it as I won't be able to make it down yet again this year due to the ongoing pandemic. :)

1 hour ago, Johnlloyd said:

It's great to hear that the Sleighride has been refurbished! It looked in rough shape when I visited the park in 2019. It would be nice to see a photo of it as I won't be able to make it down yet again this year due to the ongoing pandemic. :)

Not my picture, but this was posted by someone somewhere else online.

FB_IMG_1621468762011.jpg

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Golddisk said:

Not my picture, but this was posted by someone somewhere else online.

FB_IMG_1621468762011.jpg

It's great that they retained the original scenery and decided to put it back up and replace the canopy after the ride was hit by an ice storm a few years ago! :)

There was also a lot of work done that people might not realize (or really care about, but it's things that are still needed).

Multiple buildings got repainted and new roofs.

New metal detection was added to the entrances, same system that all other Six Flags properties are using now.

Lots of new signage on buildings.

Photo place by main gate was renovated into a season pass service center for season pass issues/upgrades.

Don't get me wrong, there is still a TON that needs to be done but it's not like the place sat totally idle for the past year. Hopefully some attention to the parking lots and midway is up soon, those are looking rough. And of course, doing something with the giant wheel. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, anonymouscactus said:

Still social distancing on the roller coaster with empty rows between parties despite 1 train operations. This line took just over an hour. Ugh.

IMG_20210521_191122957_HDR.thumb.jpg.f1a461896be763060250ef99b4a2c0bd.jpg

Viper circa 1982? Mind as well add the little vending machine hut back at this point lol

When we got in it was by that lamp shade. Not a terrible wait because theyre not filling the station. 

Look to the right on Shipwreck Falls !

On 5/21/2021 at 8:56 PM, anonymouscactus said:

Still social distancing on the roller coaster with empty rows between parties despite 1 train operations. This line took just over an hour. Ugh.

IMG_20210521_191122957_HDR.thumb.jpg.f1a461896be763060250ef99b4a2c0bd.jpg

Viper circa 1982? Mind as well add the little vending machine hut back at this point lol

They really need to get 2 trains up and running on Vipre. Believe that was rumored to be happening at the end of 2019.

Just now, coasterbill said:

And 2018... and 2017... and 2016... and 2015...

I'm sure any day now they'll throw one on there.

Kind of expected the Six Flags banner to increase operations. They've been doing a much better job at their other properties over the past 12 months. 

1 hour ago, coasterbill said:

And 2018... and 2017... and 2016... and 2015...

I'm sure any day now they'll throw one on there.

2015 was the last time they did, on Viper.

Mind Eraser still has the Frankentrain

11 minutes ago, pryonisys said:

it's almost like they don't care about 2 train operations, and never have at Darien Lake

Now is the time to care if theyre going to continue the stupid distancing rules. Youre next to these people for an hour in line, but can sit in the same car with them. 🙄 Theyre sending out Tantrum with one party per car, which in the one case I saw Saturday was 1 person. One. Thank god that one has 2 trains at least.