TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Darien Lake (SFDL) Discussion Thread

Darien Lake released it's operating calendar for this upcoming season. You can see it here.

Some highlights:

- only open Friday, Saturday, and Sunday until the end of June. Friday's are only 5-9. Saturday and Sunday 11-9.

- during full season Monday-Thursday is 11-7, while Friday-Sunday is 11-9.

1 hour ago, anonymouscactus said:

I wonder what this means for the laser show. They probably won't do it during the week when they close at 7, but will they still do it on the 9pm closes? Just stinks that one of their most unique Six Flagsy things will be so limited if that's the case.

They might be placeholder hours for now and based on current restrictions. If restrictions are eased and they feel its worth it theyll probably extend them. They cut closing time just before daily ops a few years ago so hours changes arent unheard of. 

12 hours ago, Haymaker said:

They might be placeholder hours for now and based on current restrictions. If restrictions are eased and they feel its worth it theyll probably extend them. They cut closing time just before daily ops a few years ago so hours changes arent unheard of. 

I would agree, New York will not keep the restrictions they have now all summer.  I'd expect restrictions to lighten in NY by May (that's just a general assumption and I'm pulling it from nowhere)
We'll see what the park does as time goes

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Because Six Flags webmasters are morons.  Quite a few rides that definitely don't go upside down are listed as doing so, too.

• Like 2

I'm going to just say the web page design for Six Flags is trash.  Not that it really matters but they also are including some rides anywhere on the list (the one that comes to mind in the Sky Screamer).
For those of us who really would notice we already would know what rides the park has.

• Thanks 1

um. . . this tiny little thing you *might* have heard about happened in 2020 called Covid-19 ?

and meant parks didn't have staff back to train up / fill positions until restrictions were lifted or relaxed.

I'm guessing that has a LOT to do with why parks aren't operating the same as they have in past seasons (for both hours and/or days open)

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, TheAmericanKnight said:

I just found out the park won't operate daily until July. For some reason I remember daily operations starting in June during previous seasons. Am I not remembering this correctly or did something change?

Usually the last week or two of June theyd go daily. But theyre also opening 3 weeks later than usual so its not surprising.

• 2 weeks later...

The last (half-)week of June is daily operation. Also they're only opening about a week later than usual with Season Pass & Member access the 15th & 16th though the schedule doesn't show times for it.

Grizzly Run is gone. Going to be an awfully ugly part of the park. It is quite easy to see most of the ride from the park pathways. hopefully they clean it up quickly, but I doubt it.

Park News - (5/5/21) Six Flags Darien Lake has confirmed that Grizzly Run, the park’s river rapids ride, is officially closed and will be removed to make way for future new additions. The rapids ride goes take up a significant bit of space in the South-Eastern corner of the theme park that could be re-purposed and filled with a number of different rides, or even a whole land full of rides.

13 minutes ago, jconsolmagno said:

Grizzly Run is gone. Going to be an awfully ugly part of the park. It is quite easy to see most of the ride from the park pathways. hopefully they clean it up quickly, but I doubt it.

Park News - (5/5/21) Six Flags Darien Lake has confirmed that Grizzly Run, the park’s river rapids ride, is officially closed and will be removed to make way for future new additions. The rapids ride goes take up a significant bit of space in the South-Eastern corner of the theme park that could be re-purposed and filled with a number of different rides, or even a whole land full of rides.

I mean. . that's a huge area, they can drop several flats into. . so I have to assume that's what's going to happen  (or put a large attraction there in that footprint).

but it's not horrible - I mean, it's not like they removed "Moose on the Loose"

They have so many empty areas already. I expect this to be a straight budget cut. Will they replace it some day? Maybe...  but I don't think they closed it for any other reason than it's an expensive ride to operate.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, bert425 said:

I mean. . that's a huge area, they can drop several flats into. . so I have to assume that's what's going to happen  (or put a large attraction there in that footprint).

but it's not horrible - I mean, it's not like they removed "Moose on the Loose"

Considering they aren't putting in their new for 2020 ride this year, I'm going to assume it's going to look like Geauga Lake's Grizzly Run for the next few years, rather than any thing else.

With Grizzly Run gone, I could see Darien Lake moving the old "Seaport" kiddie rides over there. At this point pretty have given my hopes up for Six Flags to bring back Looney Tunes (Seaport) to Darien Lake.

I don't even think kids today can even related to the Looney Tunes these days.

I just don't get it.  Six Flags says, flat out, "15 rides will be closed/removed from parks as a cost-savings measure," and then everyone clamors about how they're going to spend more than zero dollars to relocate-old/install-new rides at parks that generally, during normal, non-pandemic, times, don't see substantial investment.  It's like the world has lost its mind.

• Like 2

^ because pulling out a huge, expensive to run white-water raft ride, and paving over/replacing with a bunch of inexpensive carnival flats. . is still a "cost saving" measure?

I can totally see they putting something in that area, that saves them a crap-ton of $$ in the future, by removing a rapids ride.

^ oh, by far that's the most likely.

I was just explaining why folks are offering potential uses for the space, which would still be "cost saving" for them.