TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Darien Lake (SFDL) Discussion Thread

What's the point in having a hotel when you can do the entire park including flat rides in less than 3 hours (well, this year, 2.75 hours... bye bye more flats*)? And another 1 hour for the water park. I always see ads to stay 4 days or whatever like it's friggin Disney World. I still don't understand it.

9c31884914d09932c3eff93c380a8bbd.jpg

Its not like there is even anything else to do in the area. Unless you want to go to Target the next exit off the thruway. Fun.

I will give Darien Lake credit for the laser show, though. It makes it a bit unique and fireworks are fun.

1 hour ago, anonymouscactus said:

You still think they are going to get wahoo wave?

giphy.gif?cid=349c9dd7y4fukjz5f2qs5aocd7n9a847v8ra0k2l0jqv0bik&rid=giphy.gif

... and predator titan-ed this season?

giphy.gif?cid=349c9dd77flute2xns25mupfpw75poy8wa7mzxijrzawkp59&rid=giphy.gif

They have Wahoo Wave, whether they put it up this year or not is up in the air, thats already been stated here as fact.

Definitely dont think theyre going to Titan Predator this year, unless GCI is giving them some kind of deal for being the second customer. 

Got my cabin and park reservations for opening weekend.

5 hours ago, ricklap77 said:

I hope they upgrade the Predator with that new track this year.  It needs it badly!  

I think expectations need to be realistic this year.  They are moving forward with a lot of the rides that were announced for 2020 now for 2021 but not even all of them throughout the chain.  I don't think you will see Predator or any coaster in the chain get this type of upgrade this year and it will be interesting to see how long it takes before a major overhaul like that takes to come back into play as the parks all try to recover.  

5 hours ago, Sluggo77 said:

I think expectations need to be realistic this year.  They are moving forward with a lot of the rides that were announced for 2020 now for 2021 but not even all of them throughout the chain.  I don't think you will see Predator or any coaster in the chain get this type of upgrade this year and it will be interesting to see how long it takes before a major overhaul like that takes to come back into play as the parks all try to recover.  

There was a Facebook comment that it wasnt going to open last year even if the park did due to the track work needed. I could see that happening this year too. 

I just realized that it's going to be 40 years since Darien Lake became the theme park we know today. Darien Lake started out as a just a campground in 1954. In 1981 Darien Lake got rides and became a theme park.

As for Wahoo Wave, I doubt it will ever open. AFAIK Wahoo Wave is a cancelled attraction like the time that Six Flags had plans for a Justice League meet and greet at park in 2006.

"They have Wahoo Wave, whether they put it up this year or not is up in the air, thats already been stated here as fact"

By who?

Why are you so sure that wahoo is going to open at Darien Lake? Genuinely curious. Besides, Darien Lake is known to get rides they never actually build...

If you look at the Facebook thread of them reopening, or any of the news sites comments, nobody seems to know or even care about Wahoo Wave. I threw up the question just for you though, curious if they will respond.

29 minutes ago, anonymouscactus said:

"They have Wahoo Wave, whether they put it up this year or not is up in the air, thats already been stated here as fact"

By who?

Why are you so sure that wahoo is going to open at Darien Lake? Genuinely curious. Besides, Darien Lake is known to get rides they never actually build...

Besides the Batman standup, what else havent they got but not put up?

The slide has been at the park since last spring, the lake was drawn down for installation, but I cant recall if footers were poured yet or just the forms were put in. Also assume the Hurricane Harbor re-brand is on hold. The slide is still at the park:

Screenshot_20210220-220823_Chrome.jpg

16 hours ago, Haymaker said:

There was a Facebook comment that it wasnt going to open last year even if the park did due to the track work needed. I could see that happening this year too. 

I’d love to be wrong but I highly doubt you will see this. With that same logic why weren’t all the 2020 rides installed already. They announced them. Reality is things change and saying it would be closed for track work wasn’t a guarantee of a conversion. Could have been that they didn’t even want to put budget towards standard repairs with the potentially limited season so they decided to keep it closed even if they did get to open the park which as we know never happened.

Even if they still had a budget green lit to do it Cuomo has had nonessential work on pause throughout NY so other than maybe small sections they really wouldn’t have had time to work on it either. 

5 minutes ago, Sluggo77 said:

I’d love to be wrong but I highly doubt you will see this. With that same logic why weren’t all the 2020 rides installed already. They announced them. Reality is things change and saying it would be closed for track work wasn’t a guarantee of a conversion. Could have been that they didn’t even want to put budget towards standard repairs with the potentially limited season so they decided to keep it closed even if they did get to open the park which as we know never happened.

Even if they still had a budget green lit to do it Cuomo has had nonessential work on pause throughout NY so other than maybe small sections they really wouldn’t have had time to work on it either. 

Re-read what I said, I said I could see Predator NOT opening this year.

Non-essential work hasnt been paused since June or July. For the most part, any work not happening in NY now is because that business decided not to. 

Yeah, a bunch of parks jumped on the “Budget cut this and blame covid because nobody will question it” gravy train last year. Six Flags was better than most but they’re not above it. Not opening a bad wood coaster for the year when nobody would even give them shit for it sounds like a no-brainer.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Haymaker said:

Re-read what I said, I said I could see Predator NOT opening this year.

Non-essential work hasnt been paused since June or July. For the most part, any work not happening in NY now is because that business decided not to. 

Sorry about that. Yes I get the essential stuff. I guess my point was it had been and then the parks themselves weren’t open and had no real timeline when they could open at least from what I had seen.  So they had no reason to work on it.  Now that they can open there isn’t a ton of time to do much at this point. My bad for not reading your thought correctly. 

• Like 1

On 2/21/2021 at 5:05 PM, Sluggo77 said:

Sorry about that. Yes I get the essential stuff. I guess my point was it had been and then the parks themselves weren’t open and had no real timeline when they could open at least from what I had seen.  So they had no reason to work on it.  Now that they can open there isn’t a ton of time to do much at this point. My bad for not reading your thought correctly. 

Not entirely true. The mandatory state shutdown wasn't until March and while they didn't get a timeline on reopening there was a spool up of readying rides and staffing in anticipation of a potential August opening opportunity. Ultimately that didn't happen beyond the campground operation, but it's not like they've been sitting idle the past year until the State guidance came out.

Predator needing track repair I wouldn't call an indicator that it doesn't open; it usually has about a hundred feet that gets extensive rebuilding every year or so. Definitely a fantasy to think they'd do track conversion when the ride that's bought and was ready for assembly was deferred, though. (Batman was an entirely different circumstance before folks get started on that again)

• Like 2

^Just meant no direct timetable to have a get ready goal.  Totally agree otherwise. I mean I did get to walk around SFNE for the holiday walk through and the new DC Universe lit up sign was in and Supergirl was already partially installed at least so work has happened at the parks.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/19/2021 at 8:39 PM, coasterbill said:

Okay everyone likes different things but you're gonna have to walk me through this one.

Easy ... great water park much better than SFA or SFGADV IMO, Superman ROS, the Buffalo Wing Place next to the ferris wheel, onsite concerts with onsite hotel (no other park has this to my knwoledge), 24 oz refillable beer glasses for under $10, Italian restaurant outside of the water parl, generally short waits for every attraction, park looks great at night, light show to name a few...

I think this park has the best potential in the chain of the lesser tier parks. It easily beats the pants off of SFA IMO. SFA is a mess and doesn't appear to be turning around after opening day last weekend. 

I would also take SFDL over SFOT any day of the week just based off of operations... sure I'd ride Titan / New Texas Giant / Mr. Freeze over the coasters at SFDL minus SROS, but one train ops on Mr. Freeze at a park that size vs. one train ops on Motocoaster? Sure not the same ride, but also 1/4 the wait...

To each their own man....but just by looking at Google satellite maps I have to call BS on your claim of their waterpark being better than Hurricane Harbor NJ.  And "it's better than SFA" isn't exactly the biggest claim to fame....

• Like 1