TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Darien Lake (SFDL) Discussion Thread

13 hours ago, boldikus said:

Watch when the single rail gets built at MM and they advertise first to 20! I could care less if they are, but six will want to claim that title. But ill stop beating that dead horse. Proceed to the darien lake fantasy thread 

4 hours ago, ricklap77 said:

I am wondering if they will reprofile the whole coaster or just replace the track of Predator with Titan track?!?

We really are living in a simulation.

I'd love for a meaningful upgrade to that ride to happen but I just don't see it for the foreseeable future (though I actually don't entirely hate it but it's by no means "good" either).

On 11/11/2020 at 9:31 AM, coasterbill said:

We really are living in a simulation.

I'd love for a meaningful upgrade to that ride to happen but I just don't see it for the foreseeable future (though I actually don't entirely hate it but it's by no means "good" either).

You're being pretty generous there. It is horrible. Well, I guess maybe not since it has been quite a while, but it certainly was horrible for a very long time. Would have gotten back this year if not for the pandemic, hoping for next but not holding my breath. 

Anyway, I expect Six Flags to just put a couple sections on in the worst valleys and see how much improvement it makes before diving in all the way for a somewhat questionable investment in financially difficult times. 

As for what I want in my dream world with this situation, it would be a complete retracking with minimal reprofiling or alterations to the layout. They could do stuff like changing the height and steepness of hills to modernize it a bit or account for how the differences in how the new trains run on the new track versus what was meant to run on the layout in terms of forces, but overall I would like to see GCI pursue a more restoration oriented model of putting the steel track on the old woodies. Let RMC do their thing and leave them be. GCI's model would be more in restoring the spirit of the original layout. I don't actually think this is necessarily a good idea for them financially as the rides will be less novel to the GP, but it is what the coaster nerd in me wants to see.

I think it's awesome  that they are finally going to do something with Predator.  It needs it badly. The problem I see is in the cost vs what they get in return.  If they do the whole thing they should go big like RMC so they can advertise a whole new ride experience.

My guess is that they will do the rough spots like the 540 turn and a few of the other valleys that are bad. I would actually love to see this as I think the overall layout is really good.  If you can smooth out the rough spots it may become very rideable again

So far it seems as they will only replace some spots on the coaster and see how the the coaster and new track sections perform.  I believe they are still testing that track system.  Time will tell and with the park not sure to re open next season it might take a while before a full conversion!  Add to that the money that Six Flags and all other parks in genaral are losing with the pandemic, nobody really knows how things will turn out.  Let's keep our fingers crossed.

I think the upcoming season / whenever the park can get all the work done will be a weird/interesting/and disappointing season for some. I'm going to guess there is more smaller things going on that will come out of left field..

I think the biggest ??? to me is timelines. Even if they know what their plans are, time is of the essence and I'm going to guess if the park does open on time to the public next year, there is no way they will be able to get everything done that they want to, knowing how Darien Lake usually goes.

We shall see... ? I'm really excited about Predator getting some love, I may actually WANT to visit the park once all is said and done simply based on that project smile_b.gif.8238cff499d195d843b7bef919b30d7c.gif

• 2 months later...

Darien Lake is opening in 2 weeks!

.... for a 30 min laser show in the parking lot that they probably made for last year and couldn't use... UNTIL NOW!

https://www.sixflags.com/darienlake/events/drive-in-laser-light-spectacular

I'm wondering if buying a season pass to attend will actually activate the card or not.... so I can turn around and go to Great Adventure in March with a slightly cheaper SFDL pass. (plus i'd prefer the perks from my home park rather than at GrAdv.)

(I didn't buy a pass in 2020)

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/1/2021 at 12:42 PM, anonymouscactus said:

Darien Lake is opening in 2 weeks!

.... for a 30 min laser show in the parking lot that they probably made for last year and couldn't use... UNTIL NOW!

https://www.sixflags.com/darienlake/events/drive-in-laser-light-spectacular

I'm wondering if buying a season pass to attend will actually activate the card or not.... so I can turn around and go to Great Adventure in March with a slightly cheaper SFDL pass. (plus i'd prefer the perks from my home park rather than at GrAdv.)

(I didn't buy a pass in 2020)

Nothing earth shattering but the kids enjoyed it. No fireworks with it. Quite different being there with no park lights on, piles of snow and 16° temperatures.

20210216_193926.jpg

20210216_193743.jpg

20210216_192716.jpg

20210216_192710.jpg

20210216_192330.jpg

20210216_192256.jpg

Were they processing season passes and memberships if you bought one? Or did you just get through with showing your sheet of paper? Just curious. Id rather make Darien Lake my home park over Six Flags America so I can get the perks at SFDL given I live 30 min away, but I plan on visiting parks before SFDL officially opens... if it ever does...

54 minutes ago, anonymouscactus said:

Were they processing season passes and memberships if you bought one? Or did you just get through with showing your sheet of paper? Just curious. Id rather make Darien Lake my home park over Six Flags America so I can get the perks at SFDL given I live 30 min away, but I plan on visiting parks before SFDL officially opens... if it ever does...

I already had active memberships & season passes. They scanned them though so maybe? Could call the park and ask. 

https://www.syracuse.com/coronavirus/2021/02/ny-amusement-parks-can-reopen-overnight-summer-camps-can-plan-to-cuomo-says.html

New York is finally allowing amusement parks to re-open, they are capping them at 33% capacity which seems like what Disney was attempting. I for one am just glad they finally came to their senses and are allowing these outdoor businesses to return. Hopefully Six Flags Members will be able to select dates to reserve since they are requiring pre sold tickets as part of re-opening.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Opening Day is May 21st, about 2 weeks later than normal. Full article at link.

https://www.wivb.com/news/local-news/genesee-county/six-flags-darien-lake-scheduled-to-reopen-may-21-looking-to-fill-1500-positions/?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=t.co&utm_campaign=socialflow

ROCHESTER, N.Y. (WROC) — Six Flags Darien Lake is scheduled to reopening on May 21 following guidelines set by New York State.

According to a release, the park will unveil extensive safety and security measures including quick and contactless security and temperature checks for guests and team members. Mobile ordering will also be available at many locations. The park is converting to a cash to a card kiosk system, accepting only Mobile and Card Payments to further enhance the safety of guests and employees.

1 hour ago, jconsolmagno said:

Pretty excited about this. Darien Lake is one of my favorite parks in the chain.

I take it you haven't been to too many then?

1 minute ago, Mike240SX said:

I take it you haven't been to too many then?

I visited every SF park that was open last year, sometimes 2-3x. (Frontier City, OT, Fiesta Texas, Over Georgia, America, Great Adventure, etc.)

I really like Darien Lake though, the hotel on-site is a big plus. It reminds me of Geauga Lake.

Personally, my least favorite park in the chain is Over Texas, I felt that place was an absolute dump in my 2 days there last year. That place needs a huge makeover, that it won't be getting for a while, obviously Fiesta Texas is their jewel in Texas.