TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Darien Lake (SFDL) Discussion Thread

3 hours ago, Mike240SX said:

Cue 100 pages of wild speculation about this conversion only for them to only replace 20 feet of track because Darien Lake

The corporate earnings call did say they identified rides to add, refurbish, and remove. So sounds like predator was maybe identified as one of the rides to refurbish. They tend to retrack portions of it almost every year with so over time I suppose this would result in maintenance/retracking savings.

White lightning at fun spot has a 55 foot steel section of this new track and looks to be a seamless transition between wood track to steel track . This for one, is a main reason Six Flags will never be re-tracking Predator fully. If they can just get rid of the horrible parts (which I feel is 1/3 of the course) and make it tolerable for most (not me) they most surely will. White lightning was also built by the by the original manufacturer (GCI) and is much newer. Predator has a considerable amount of hopeless track and was made Buy Dinn, This thread will kill these facts and try to hope for more. my best hope is they just re-track the 540 and the the hill before and after.

39 minutes ago, Mike240SX said:

Keep the dream alive, kid.

Never said they would be retracking the whole thing, just that it makes sense as to why they would do some work to it beyond the normal wood retracking based on what SF said.

Would be nice if they did some interesting retracking on all of Predator, but even if it's just testing like White Lightning I look forward to seeing how this new track type can change some of the industry.  I'm hopeful, but I'm also realistic in understanding that Predator will probably always be terrible and could very well just get 5 ft of this track for "track testing" and "refurbishment".

I have a feeling they'll do (at least initially) what Six Flags originally did with RMC's topper track.  They tried small sections on Six Flags New England's Cyclone and Six Flags Fiesta Texas's Rattler.  Those sections did indeed ride more smoothly, but the rest of the ride didn't.  A few years later, Six Flags decided to RMC the whole ride.

I could see Six Flags trying a small section in the worst of the worst spots on Predator and then deciding to add more steel track if it's successful.

Well at least we will get a new train out of the deal.... if I'm reading it right? According to the article you need a specific GCI train? Maybe they will send the current / Voyage train to Fantasy Island for the reboot... 🤪 -- They are almost at $3,000 of the $1 million goal on the GoFundMe...

I seem to recall years ago Darian Lake (under Herschend management at the time?) sending out surveys that included options for what was described at the time to be an RMC treatment.  It obviously never happened but this wouldn't shock me.  

Predator can be fun if it was smoothed out and slightly reprofiled to take advantaged of the steel track.  More air, steeper banking, etc.  IF it was a full re-track it could make it a enjoyable and fun experience.  

Even if it is just small sections to smooth it out I think it'll be a win/win if a new train (or two hopefully 🤣) comes with it.  

1 hour ago, anonymouscactus said:

Well at least we will get a new train out of the deal.... if I'm reading it right? According to the article you need a specific GCI train? Maybe they will send the current / Voyage train to Fantasy Island for the reboot... 🤪 -- They are almost at $3,000 of the $1 million goal on the GoFundMe...

It sounds like the new train is only needed if you perform elements you previously couldn't with GCI's wood track like launches or inversions.

Just for fun, I'm going to post a bit of a strange rumor here that will probably never happen that I heard about on YouTube. I'm sure the conversation should make this worth it. 😛

Anyways, there's a bit of a rumor about the possibility that Scream from Six Flags Magic Mountain may get relocated to another Six Flags park. Will it go to Six Flags Darien Lake, or more likely another Six Flags park like Six Flags Mexico?

14 hours ago, TheAmericanKnight said:

Just for fun, I'm going to post a bit of a strange rumor here that will probably never happen that I heard about on YouTube. I'm sure the conversation should make this worth it. 😛

Anyways, there's a bit of a rumor about the possibility that Scream from Six Flags Magic Mountain may get relocated to another Six Flags park. Will it go to Six Flags Darien Lake, or more likely another Six Flags park like Six Flags Mexico?

honestly I would say SFSTL. I really don't picture MM removing any coasters atm 

3 hours ago, coasterbill said:

if they did move Scream (which they won't), Darien Lake wouldn't get it.

Yeah, it's a clone of Medusa (Bizarro, sorry).  Having a clone 8 hours away would be like having three Batman clones within four hours of each other.  They'd never do something that dumb, right?  Especially not in the Dallas / San Antonio market.

I kid, I kid.  I highly doubt Scream is going anywhere.  Magic Mountain loves their parking lot coasters too much.

On 11/9/2020 at 10:21 AM, grsupercity said:

I really hope this really becomes a thing. Dinn has like what 2 or 3 coasters left? 

According to RCDB, in addition to Predator; Dinn has 3 remaining coasters left that THEY built (for the sake of clarity, I'm not counting their reconstructions/relocations of Wildcat, Phoenix and Giant Coaster/Wild One): Thunder Run (Kentucky Kingdom); Timber Wolf (Worlds of Fun) and Wolverine Wildcat (Michigan's Adventure).

I'm assuming Titan Track will be less expensive that Iron Horse/Topper Track?

Of the coasters at SFMM I would consider for relocation Scream is on the list.  It has always been just there..  Will it be removed and relocated? Probably not, but if it is I doubt it would go to Darian Lake.  I could see it at some of the larger SF parks that could use a ride capable of 3 train operation.  Maybe even SFGAm or SFoT.  

On 11/9/2020 at 7:08 PM, TheAmericanKnight said:

Anyways, there's a bit of a rumor about the possibility that Scream from Six Flags Magic Mountain may get relocated to another Six Flags park.

On 10/29/2020 at 9:21 AM, grsupercity said:

I cant picture MM removing a coaster before they claim first park to 20 coasters.

giphy.gif?cid=349c9dd7tc1d90adhv80ljeccco7febbe8wfxv53f3996p3r&rid=giphy.gif

"I heard they were going to put [relocated and/or new coaster] across the street and build a bridge to it 'cause they own so much land!" --- Crazy Darien Lake people (aka 'Lake Monsters'?) circa 2001 through all eternity

giphy.gif?cid=349c9dd7u1y4yypmz7saqzhk1n8k3wlsjhlobsmy6hxcj29o&rid=giphy.gif

So we are getting NeWpReDaToR and a floorless b&m in one year?

Let's also not forget about the next ride in history that got shipped to Darien Lake and never built... (the new water park ride for 2020) -- any bets on whether that will get built? And getting branded Hurricane Harbor?

Wahoo Wave-it-goodbye!

Or are we getting 3 new marketable attractions in 2021????? Welcome back to the 90's, Six Flags!

Ugh, my brain is melting.