TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Darien Lake (SFDL) Discussion Thread

There's no reason the amusement parks of NY can't be open in phase 4. NY has been one of the best states in keeping COVID contained and the vast majority have no issues with masks. Not to mention your outdoors in the fresh air. Leave it to Cuomo to change the game again.

Any word on how nearby Seabreeze is doing through the pandemic? Will that park open at all this year?

Seabreeze is in the same boat. They were planning to open this past weekend and Emperor A**face Cuomo said nope. No direction has been given. They are in a holding pattern like everyone else.

There's no reason the amusement parks of NY can't be open in phase 4. NY has been one of the best states in keeping COVID contained and the vast majority have no issues with masks. Not to mention your outdoors in the fresh air. Leave it to Cuomo to change the game again.

NY has the most cases and deaths by 2x. What are you talking about "contained"?

I think they should just stay closed and focus for next year. Most if not all musement parks will not be enjoyable this season.

So far I've done 4 parks in the past 3 weekends in 2 states, headed to do 2 more this weekend in SFOG & SFWW.

If you are not having fun, that's on you. Cheap hotels, cheap airfare... great time to be an enthusiast and capitalize on it.

Im talking as in keeping it from spreading more, yes at first it was bad (mostly because of NYC) but ever since it has been going down and staying down unlike other states that opened early and are now seeing the backlash of what that caused. Compared to those states NY is in a much better position now to re-open

But those were mostly in April. Its slowed to a trickle while FL and AZ are off the charts

Screenshot_20200630-083941_Chrome.thumb.jpg.faac275dad499ebba0a75605cde22b15.jpg

Edited by Haymaker

That makes no sense. If you believe the hype, reopening is what has caused these "spikes" in some areas, so how would that make NY state in a good position to reopen?

That makes no sense. If you believe the hype, reopening is what has caused these "spikes" in some areas, so how would that make NY state in a good position to reopen?

Because NY opened differently than other states. Look at the graph I posted above, other states opened at the top of that spike while NY waited until the downslope was clearly a trend (may 15)

Really FL and AZ are just getting their first wave while NY already had theirs (in my non scientific, non doctor opinion)

Whatever makes you feel better. If more people are socializing, there will be more spread, this is inevitable regardless of what kind of phased reopening you try to implement. Whether or not this increased spread is acceptable or cause for re-closing things, that's between you and your governor.

I cant stand Cuomo, but I have to admit re-opening has gone very well. There havent been any spikes since re-opening, although the demographic of positive tests has shifted primarily to the 20-40 age group. NYers are also heavily compliant with mask wearing. Outdoor activities have never been a significant cause of spread.

For those that were wondering what was happening with Fantasy Island (NY) the past few weeks, here is a good summary:

That have a loooonngg way to go, both financially and cleaning the place up. Also ignoring the fact that very few rides are even left.

There have been a few articles out there, but this gets deep into it....

https://www.wnypapers.com/news/article/featured/2020/07/02/142201/efforts-underway-to-make-fantasy-island-beautiful-and-fun-again

It's essentially a few old employees whose pipe dream is to open the park again. Personally I don't see it happening, but we shall see... best of luck to them.

I dont see anyway it happens. They have no capital from what I read. Apex didnt winterize the park before leaving, the rides were ripped out versus removed and its been vandalized already, although not to the level of SFNO. Youre almost starting from scratch. Reminds me of the people that tried to save Geauga Lake's Big Dipper.

Im talking as in keeping it from spreading more, yes at first it was bad (mostly because of NYC) but ever since it has been going down and staying down unlike other states that opened early and are now seeing the backlash of what that caused. Compared to those states NY is in a much better position now to re-open

Yesterday. July 4th, they posted almost 900 cases. The 11th highest state. They have been back on the rise in the state.

I haven't paid attention to what they are reopening but it is only a matter of time until they explode again (rising already, past week over week). That state has proven to be terrible at keeping people safe and alive during this.

However, I very much look forward to seeing how Darien Lake handled this. So far the 5 six flags parks I've been to have all had different procedures. SFOG was back to refilling plastic season cups today, when just yesterday they wouldn't touch them. An internal memo must have got passed because most stands switched over and I was shocked as I asked multiple times, are you sure? I don't mind either way. The paper cup is much more convenient.

Yesterday. July 4th, they posted almost 900 cases. The 11th highest state. They have been back on the rise in the state.

I haven't paid attention to what they are reopening but it is only a matter of time until they explode again (rising already, past week over week). That state has proven to be terrible at keeping people safe and alive during this.

Case numbers are somewhat irrelevant, hospital numbers are what need to be watched as that is what indicates serious cases. 900 cases is a drop of water to Florida's tidal wave. And NY positive percentage is way down in the single digits. WNY's positive percentage yesterday was 0.8%, the region SFDL is in was 0.9% and the 7 day average for the state is 1%. Contrast that with Florida's 14.5% and mix in high mask compliance and I'd say NY is doing just fine right now. I have no idea why the Emperor hasnt allowed theme parks to open yet.

• 3 weeks later...