TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Darien Lake (SFDL) Discussion Thread

Over the last 20 years, the park has added 2 coasters. 1 in 2008, and another in 2018. So i would say we will get another coaster in 2028, and it'll be about the same size as motocoaster and tantrum. I have no proof of this, but you asked what the odds were. So thats my guess.

RIP Fantasy Island! (1962-2019)

Haven't been to Fantasy Island in years, but the Silver Comet was the best ride out of all of the rides at Fantasy Island. Their loss in terms of attendance would be Darien Lake's gain.

100 people a day maybe?

Haven't been to Fantasy Island in years, but the Silver Comet was the best ride out of all of the rides at Fantasy Island. Their loss in terms of attendance would be Darien Lake's gain.

100 people a day maybe?

So basically they'd double DL's attendance then.

What someone on the Darien Lake thread would actually be thinking to be a legitimate business proposal:

"They should buy the starflyer. Kind of do what Hershey did with the 3 drop towers maybe they will get 3 different sized starflyers around the park. Sky screamer 1 (mini), sky screamer 2 (Basic), sky screamer 3 (XXL)."

It would be very sad if Fantasy Island were to close. I could see some parks trying to buy the rides but even if SF were to buy the rides, they would be distributed through the chain. My guess is that they individually go on an auction website. It would be easy to keep Silver Comet local but the cost to tear down and rebuild is almost the same to build new

100 people a day maybe?

Clearly you havent been to DL. Its no Disney or CP, but its not a ghost town either. Fantasy Island was a ghost town.

100 people a day maybe?

Clearly you havent been to DL. Its no Disney or CP, but its not a ghost town either. Fantasy Island was a ghost town.

Clearly you haven’t been to MarineLand. Though attendance wasn’t the highest it could’ve been, it was never a ghost town.

100 people a day maybe?

Clearly you haven’t been to MarineLand. Though attendance wasn’t the highest it could’ve been, it was never a ghost town.

Havent been, but have seen TR's here where its like your own personal park

You’d be surprised, when I worked there in 2018, attendance was actually quite high on weekends. I honestly think it may lead to a more crowded SFDL this season...but i’m sure they still will refuse to run 2 trains on coasters

On another note, while I worked there, I observed all the changes made by Apex. They modernized almost every aspect of operation, which is great. The main issue was that it seemed that they wanted to over-commercialize the place, and strip it of many of its core values, like free parking and low prices. The family-run atmosphere was gone, and things behind the scenes were really running into the ground. Maintenance was a joke, and it almost seemed as if management really didn’t keep a close eye on all the issues happening around the park. The visiting public sure noticed and I often heard complaints. I’m honestly not surprised in the slightest about this news. It was destined to happen with the way Apex wanted to run the place.

So what rides at Fantasy Island DL would be smart to purchase?

You do know DL is owned by six flags right? I would say other than a few waterslides, there are probably 5 rides at Fantasy Island that meet SF standards. Most of the rides at FI were the portable models and not the permanent versions a chain like SF wants. Silver Comet could end up elsewhere, but it is almost as costly to move that as it would be to build new.

So what rides at Fantasy Island DL would be smart to purchase?

You do know DL is owned by six flags right? I would say other than a few waterslides, there are probably 5 rides at Fantasy Island that meet SF standards. Most of the rides at FI were the portable models and not the permanent versions a chain like SF wants. Silver Comet could end up elsewhere, but it is almost as costly to move that as it would be to build new.

The only rides I could see Six Flags purchasing from Fantasy Island (if they were interested in doing so) are the Rock n Roll, Mega Disk'o, and the Giant Wheel as they were all park model versions (or could be made permanent in the case of Rock n Roll). The Tilt-A-Whirl may be a good contender too as they do have a couple at some of their parks. It'll be interesting to see who purchases the rides from Fantasy Island. Although quite unlikely, I do hope that the Silver Comet does find a new home as I found it to be a very enjoyable coaster when I had visited twice in 2017!