TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Darien Lake (SFDL) Discussion Thread

^ this is a great point

Viper is still one of my top 3 remaining Arrow loopers, and has been giving great rides lately, but it's not really fair to compare the wear of Viper to the wear and tear on a ride like Vortex at KI. I would be curious to see how many more times Vortex ran this year as opposed to Viper, I'm sure it's probably at least 2-3 times more.

They're drastically different rides and one of them runs 3 trains every single day while the other runs one. Never dispatching your ride is a great way dramatically increase it's longevity. So... yay?

Good point. And from what people are saying on the KI thread, Vortex is pretty rough.

Vortex is awful. I like Viper much better.

Honestly Viper seems to be running better this year than it has in years past. Now if only they’d get the second trains running on it. Some days it’s very hard to get a ride on it since the line gets to easily over an hour, from it’s long duration.

Fright Fest is ABSOLUTELY AMAZING!

It it such a step up from last year's, sure it was a little understaffed, but most Halloween events are understaffed the first week. The new haunt, Corridors of Chaos, is so amazing! You get in an elevator and it sort of simulates you going down into the warehouse, and it's so detailed and intricate! Jungle Apocalypse was re-routed (at-least the queue from what I remembered) in order to fit Corridors in it, which was a brand new walk-way on the left side of the bleachers in the theatre. Camp Scumshine was updated, and is now longer, with a new pathway, and LOTS more fog for some good jumpscare opportunities which got me indeed. Hotel Terror didn't have much updating, but it was still pretty good! The scare zones seemed a little empty, but as I said, it was understaffed, so they'll probably be better as it goes on. Along with the carousel, SKYSCREAMER WAS RUNNING BACKWARDS! It was so cool! Overall, Fright Fest was absolutely amazing and I'm glad I got the all season maze pass, as I will without a doubt be doing them again!

P.S - If it's raining, RIDE PREDATOR. It absolutely hauls in the rain, and since it's Fright Fest, you don't even know where you're going, it's pitch black. That last turn around, the one that was re-tracked, makes it feel like you're going 10 mph faster than the top speed almost, it's so amazing, and the ejector is there!

Glad to hear it's a step up from last year. I was there Saturday (before Fright Fest) and didn't wait longer than 5 minutes for anything, and it was a great day.

My main question regarding Camp Scum Shine, do they still have the motion sensor windshield wiper corpse on the side of the camper? That was my favorite laugh from Fright Fest last year.

^ I went on Friday and didn’t see anything too crazy new, it looks like they had some more details, and I did like the new sign for the Awakening (looks like they come out of the grande theatre now instead of the picnic area) but there definitely still are weak spots.

The pros:

- the new Awakening

- the Corridors of Chaos and Jungle Apocalypse area

- the park being open until 11pm on Fridays and Saturdays

- SkyScreamer and the Carousel running backwards

The cons:

- same laser show as last year

- Screampunk scare zone

- merchandise (no short sleeve adult merch, only 3 total designs, same as all other SF parks, which is fine - but I got short sleeve tees at SFGAdv, bummer DL doesn’t have any)

- low number of scare actors (one on the main entrance hill, maybe saw 10 total during the “final scare”) though this could totally be early first day numbers, I’ll be back plenty more times to see if that’s the case.

- No decor between main entrance and Viper (down the games midway) like. At all.

Plus, as has been common the rest of this year, there’s an increase in security / police presence. Which I greatly appreciate.

I would agree, it’s an improvement over last year, BUT it’s not spectacular either, good to keep these things in perspective

I didn't really experience FF too much last year, and didn't do any houses/mazes last year.

I went Saturday and DID do all the paid attractions, and I was seriously impressed and surprized with how much attention t detail went into the houses, especially Jungle Apocalypse and Corridors of Chaos. I was seriosly amazed with how good they were, as much as more actors would have been nice. Scumshine was pretty decent, and Hotal Terror was the lowest on my list. Very few actors in it, and overall just not as well-themed as the others.

On the other hand, the scare zones around the park were a joke. Screampunk was pretty much nonexistent, and Voodoo Curse had maybe 2 or 3 actors. The final scare thing at the entrance was completely gone when I got there at 11:05.

Rides open until 11 was fantastic. That 11:00 front row RoS lap was pretty fantastic, as was the late night backwards SkyScreamer ride.

Overall, there's a lot that could be worked on, staffing, theming around the park, etc.....But there's a lot that was really good, specifically Jungle and Corridors, as well as the whole area around it, which was fantastic, given the usual half-a$$ing that we all know and love at Darien Lake. I'm excited to head back to FF hopefully in the coming weeks, as it truly was a very positive experience in my opinion.

D379B94D-0F65-4556-9BDA-51027EAEC315.thumb.jpeg.0da412c1cd49b718dff049779d47a7a0.jpeg

Had to post this beautiful photo I got of SkyScreamer in all of its backwards glory

B4B3E910-3DEB-4754-AAC4-7A62804E326E.thumb.jpeg.42a40105cc0191c9da51dabf2586d7ca.jpeg

While all the other coasters were lights-off, RoS was fully lit up all night long!

^ Another thing I forgot to mention. As of this past Saturday, every car on ME’s wonderful train now has a massive piece of duct tape holding up something underneath the seats. Not sure what on earth it could be holding up but yeah, just when we thought that thing couldn’t get worse. I haven’t really realized just how rough ME is doing. I’ve never seen a coaster in this bad of shape I don’t think. The track is white and rusty in many areas now, the lift is crazy slow, and then there’s the train of two colors, not perfectly paired with large amounts of duct tape under each seat. Really makes me wonder how on earth that thing passed inspection this year. I swear it’s running worse than ever this year too.

Is it just me or does it seem that they upgraded the lights on ROS and Predator? Both seemed much brighter when I was there last week.

As for ME, there was a supervisor of some form checking restraints last week, I asked him if theyre going to finishbpainting it next year and he said "we hope so". Wouldnt hold your breath.

Is it just me or does it seem that they upgraded the lights on ROS and Predator? Both seemed much brighter when I was there last week.

As for ME, there was a supervisor of some form checking restraints last week, I asked him if theyre going to finishbpainting it next year and he said "we hope so". Wouldnt hold your breath.

Every light on Haymaker is working, and they're VERY bright. It looks like they're redoing lighting packages ride by ride.

^ should be interesting to see if they do anything for Silver Bullet right across the way, looks like the lights don’t change from blue to red currently (they’re just on solid, the ones that still work at least).

I don’t know that I expect much from Darien Lake’s night time lighting packages anytime soon. Rolling Thunder when it has all the lights working is nice, and Sky Screamer is nice for now (even though they’re only using one pattern on it for some reason...) but once they’re shot, they’re shot.

^ should be interesting to see if they do anything for Silver Bullet right across the way, looks like the lights don’t change from blue to red currently (they’re just on solid, the ones that still work at least).

I don’t know that I expect much from Darien Lake’s night time lighting packages anytime soon. Rolling Thunder when it has all the lights working is nice, and Sky Screamer is nice for now (even though they’re only using one pattern on it for some reason...) but once they’re shot, they’re shot.

They still “switch” from red to blue on Bullet. The issue seems to be that this year they messed up where each color bulb was installed, or the way they wired each section up this year, which is leading to the awkward blue and red combo.

They still “switch” from red to blue on Bullet. The issue seems to be that this year they messed up where each color bulb was installed, or the way they wired each section up this year, which is leading to the awkward blue and red combo.

As of my visit on Friday they weren’t, I wonder if that’s just a settings thing. Interesting

Staying for the weekend in a cabin. Went through two scare zones Screampunk and Voodoo Curse tonight and there wasn't anything in either. Like not one scare actor. I'm used to cedar point and wonderland that have plenty, is this normal? Will try the haunted houses tomorrow.