TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Darien Lake (SFDL) Discussion Thread

One of the Instagram accounts I follow had some leaks. Nothing for SFDL, but I did see at least one or two water coasters for next year. That would make sense for us as it is one of the few things we do not have in our water park area

Six Flags Darien Lake, the Thrill Capital of New York State, is excited to announce that its waterpark will become Six Flags Hurricane Harbor and welcome a massive new slide. Wahoo Wave and its one-of-a-kind water wall will elevate the park’s already powerful roster of heat-beating attractions. This adrenaline-packed adventure sends four riders into near vertical surges to experience extended hang times and zero g-forces. Riders plunge 30 feet straight down before sweeping up at high speeds as they arc across the top of a massive water wall, virtually defying gravity before descending into a refreshing pool below.

447117662_sixflagsdarienlakewahoowave.thumb.jpg.1b58ba917f7bad1562e47ee69b61f815.jpg

Rebranding is fine, but it begs the question of whether or not they’re going to try to make it a second gate again.

Not a big water park fan, but at least now I don’t have to be bummed about a big new ride coming the year I move out of state! Thanks, Disney

9C07C3D3-6CE6-4275-95AC-F15A842DB3E5.thumb.jpeg.a129e67c3cb7be41537f91c24f8b0902.jpeg

Also, looks like the Riddler Revenge retheme wasn’t announced until April 2018, so I wouldn’t necessarily count out the possibility that some of that may still happen.

Here’s to hoping they picked a water ride in order to spend more on things like that on the dry side of the park.

^Agreed 100%. Hoping a water slide will allow them to focus on some of the "dry ride side" needs that cannot be announced. I'm talking about a roof on Sleigh ride, second trains for ROS and MotoCoaster as well as some lights on the giant wheel. I am going to put those in the general park improvements category that happen every year.

^ I don’t know that they’re removing anything for this attraction. If not, it’s no big deal to have a larger thrill ride and then something similar for those who want a more moderate thrill. The big thing here is choices. SplashTown, now Hurricane Harbor has quite a nice selection of water rides and what not - though it does have a pretty sad kids area.

Honestly I’d wonder if that’s where this is going. (Where else would it go? Across the bridge? I doubt it...)

Isn't tornado a "better" version of this anyways? Seems like a downgrade / VERY similar experience. Unless I'm missing something. I have not seen the full layout and I've never been on one of these before. At least it will help with capacity.

It looks strikingly similar to Tsunami Surge at multiple Six Flags parks.

Either way, this is super cool! With the lines our water park gets though, might have to skip out on it.

I know they weren't going to do anything huge this year but to me this is a disappointment. I'm not a DL fanboy either (I love close though), but this park didn't really need more water park additions with the exception of a new children's attraction. I knew they would not get a new coaster but a new flat ride would have sufficed especially with Pirate sitting SBNO all year and then some and many others are starting to age. I also understand that they want to see how the park does for a couple of seasons before truly investing some money here and hopefully they commit to some other smaller beautification projects and updates around the park to improve it's look. I know many will love this ride, I'm just not a huge water park guy is all. At least they got something new

Well, at least that is not a bad addition. Still hoping they will announce dry park improvements later (as other posts have already mentioned). From the description given for the waterslide on local news sites, it will probably be a near exact clone of the Wahoo Wave in Hurricane Harbor Splashtown (Houston).

Isn't tornado a "better" version of this anyways? Seems like a downgrade / VERY similar experience. Unless I'm missing something. I have not seen the full layout and I've never been on one of these before. At least it will help with capacity.

The name is even the same as tornado... tornado wave 60

https://www.proslide.com/rides/tornadowave-60/

Houston's (which this is likely a dupe of) doesn't have the Tornado element, just the wave wall and a helix section. Although the teaser video alternates between a Behemoth Bowl40+Tornadowave60 hybrid and a brief shot of Houston's with the short orange open section.

I've been on a slide with that sort of wave element before at Kalahari indoor water park and it's definitely worth a ride. The only thing I'd be worried about is that on the one I got on they had rubber "rumble strip" like things to slow the tube down and they were a little uncomfortable but with enough weight in the tube the drop is still great fun and exiting into the turn with all that speed is great.

I'm not surprised to see they went with a water park addition as I'm guessing that since Darien Lake has largest water park in the buffalo region that it's a bit fail safe. It'll be interesting to see where they put it though, as the lazy river could definitly use a slide next to it for some added shade and to give it a sight other than that of the parking lot. I don't mean to suggest that they are tearing up parking lot to make room for the slide, but to see something more on that side of the water park would be nice. The wave pool with Torando and Big Kahuna to either side always had a nice "cove" or "bay side" feeling while the lazy river is always feels like an industrial park with the parking lot right next to it.

I don't mean to hold Darien Lakes water park to almost Disney levels of sight line control but I still think it'd be nice.

^ I'd say land wise, either behind Brain Drain, or over the bridge. I don't really see any other area to put it in, unless Kahuna were to close.

They could put the slide to the side of the wave pool behind Big Kahuna. Most of Big Kahuna is over water, so I would not be surprised if the did the same thing for Wahoo Wave. There is a strip of land beside the wave pool where they could fit a queue, exit, and a splashdown pool.