TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Darien Lake (SFDL) Discussion Thread

The ME train(s) was actually my guess for the small addition earlier because I had heard that the ME trains were at the end of their service life. So my official prediction is a water coaster and new ME trains (SFNE style restraints)/paint/retheme.

After just a few hours ago riding The Riddler Revenge with those new trains, I can confirm the thing is WAY better than those bulky old ones we have right now.

Important to note the ride still has its flaws, but it was a pretty darn good ride when not having to worry about head banging and what not!

Will they ever bring back the Superman theming to Ride of Steel? I could see a The Flash theme work well on Tantrum... as long as they don't use Harley Quinn (they overuse her)...

Wishful thinking, but if they rethemed Ride of Steel to The Flash it'd be the coolest thing ever. Just saying.

Will they ever bring back the Superman theming to Ride of Steel? I could see a The Flash theme work well on Tantrum... as long as they don't use Harley Quinn (they overuse her)...

Wishful thinking, but if they rethemed Ride of Steel to The Flash it'd be the coolest thing ever. Just saying.

I think Superman fits best. I always thought the helixes were symbolic of him flying.

a5a5d5453db408c24863811d7849a911.jpg

Here's my take on this.....I don't think they'd re-theme RoS to anything other than Superman. Think about it this way: Who, besides enthusiasts, call it "Ride of Steel"? Literally nobody. 20 years later and pretty much every park visitor refers to it as "The Superman". Say it was re-themed to The Flash.....great idea, but legit every non-enthusiast SFDL guest will still call it "The Superman", guaranteed.

Another reason hes full of s**t is that all the coasters have 2 trains except ROS.

I've heard 2 things with trains. I've heard "They still have them all" and "They sold all the second trains to have enough money to run the park"

I can't imagine them selling trains to make money, but at the same time.....if they have all the second trains still and attendance is up, then why not use them?

Here's my take on this.....I don't think they'd re-theme RoS to anything other than Superman. Think about it this way: Who, besides enthusiasts, call it "Ride of Steel"? Literally nobody. 20 years later and pretty much every park visitor refers to it as "The Superman". Say it was re-themed to The Flash.....great idea, but legit every non-enthusiast SFDL guest will still call it "The Superman", guaranteed.

We were actually talking about this just yesterday at SFNE - how funny it would be if after over 12 years, the ride was changed back to Superman and THEN people start calling it Ride of Steel instead. Like a crazy “it finally clicked” moment of stupidity.

I feel like either Superman or Bizarro would be totally cool for the park. I’m not sure how it went with SFNE for sure but to change color scheme and character completely twice over could be a neat marketing tactic for the park. Plus it allows for some “temporary” effects to be used for a few years with Bizarro (like fire, mist, cut outs, music, etc) then to have the more traditional style make a big bold return a few years later with simple yet effective enhancements like the Superman theme on the lift hill, some set pieces scattered about and a big ole sign that says “Superman Defeats Bizarro!”

Is it obvious that I really enjoyed SFNE’s way of handling their Superman ride? One can dream.

Another reason hes full of s**t is that all the coasters have 2 trains except ROS.

I've heard 2 things with trains. I've heard "They still have them all" and "They sold all the second trains to have enough money to run the park"

I can't imagine them selling trains to make money, but at the same time.....if they have all the second trains still and attendance is up, then why not use them?

Y'all dont pay attention around here to the people in the know (not me) that post here. Its been stated that all coasters (except ROS) still have at least 2 trains and they are rotated yearly. Viper and Tantrum have 3. Its also been stated that the old Predator and ROS trains are/were around.

Y'all dont pay attention around here to the people in the know (not me) that post here. Its been stated that all coasters (except ROS) still have at least 2 trains and they are rotated yearly. Viper and Tantrum have 3. Its also been stated that the old Predator and ROS trains are/were around.

That’s what begs the question: why not just use both if obviously they keep both operational. Especially this year with larger crowds than in years past, along with Six Flags’ larger budget. Makes zero sense.

^ I wonder if there are parts of the old ROS trains being used on the new one since they can no longer run them on the same track. It seems if any of the trains were to be sold it would’ve been those ones since they literally are useless now.

That being said if one shows up as a decoration for fright fest I would not be upset about it. (Put some fun-loving skeletons in it a-la Cedar Point’s Halloweekends decor)

What a terrible picture Darien lake chose to post. They didn’t have, or couldn’t take a picture of motocoaster that didn’t have all those weeds and supports sitting on blocks? d4c923534f5a6ec126279105272644c2.jpg

If you hate it so much, then why did you like the photo..?

What a terrible picture Darien lake chose to post. They didn’t have, or couldn’t take a picture of motocoaster that didn’t have all those weeds and supports sitting on blocks? d4c923534f5a6ec126279105272644c2.jpg

If you hate it so much, then why did you like the photo..?

Presumably they don't consider the cost of refurbishment (which is considerable) of two trains instead of one doesn't offset the loss of guest satisfaction. Even if they run a second train only on busy days or weekends it still needs to be near completely disassembled, checked for cracks by third-party inspection, and the majority of hardware replaced annually. Between 4 coasters this could be two hundred thousand or more?

Just the bit of Predator track replaced was something like close a hundred thousand I'd heard.

^ In addition to the cool million to buy a second ROS train.

My opinion is they should have 2 available for ROS and Viper. Those are the 2 that need it the most on busy days and still saves some money.

^ opinion appreciated but unfortunately on busy days it’s more than just those two that get a line. Predator and Mind Eraser get some hefty lines on busy days too, and Motocoaster has long-ish lines whenever it’s open.

^ In addition to the cool million to buy a second ROS train.

My opinion is they should have 2 available for ROS and Viper. Those are the 2 that need it the most on busy days and still saves some money.

From my experiences i’ve noticed the same thing. RoS and Viper need it the most. And honestly Viper needs it worse than RoS. Viper’s line was a solid 2 hours last weekend. A long ride duration along with slow ops just makes that line ridiculous. RoS’s crew at least seems to realize they need to move fast in order for the line to move. They’ve done a great job this year from my experiences and have been keeping the line manageable with one train. Viper though.....

A couple of pages back I mentioned a new haunt coming to Fright Fest this year that I found on the website, and now the Fright Fest chair/tombstones/coffins are out advertising...

“3 Haunted House” eh? Wonder how much it costs to print those things since they forgot an S