TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Darien Lake (SFDL) Discussion Thread

My understanding is a large chunk of funding for those installs came from CNL as the property owner. After Herschend they were seriously working to sell the park so might not have been as interested in investing a lot in improvements if the value wouldn't be reflected in the sale bids. The campground was getting focus as a part of the business with the cabin installs going on. During the Premier period there was also considerable amount going to infrastructure (power and the water treatment). Not as sexy as a new ride, but the park hasn't had the total/partial power loss issues 2-3 times a year. Another average size coaster would have been three years out, but they decided they needed a coaster sooner than later so Tantrum fit the bill.

I just can’t imagine going back, over and over, to a park that infuriates me so badly.

I agree. It's so much more fun to keep going back over and over to a thread that makes me question the viability of humanity.

Its really just a vocal minority. Although I saw much of the same complaints in the SFA thread.

I just can’t imagine going back, over and over, to a park that infuriates me so badly.

I agree. It's so much more fun to keep going back over and over to a thread that makes me question the viability of humanity.

Makes me feel good about moving from Western NY to KC, I guess...

Yeah, people have complained about WoF not receiving a premier attraction since 2014...

BUT...5 years as opposed to a Eurofighter and a Skyscreamer in two years & people still endlessly complain in this thread about everything that the park does - regardless of ownership? I don't get it.

I think it's that shitty Western NY weather eating their brains...GET OUT NOW, PEOPLE!!! LOL

I'm trying to make my first trip there in forever (1999) and do they have early ride times for Members? Also any suggestions of how to stay ahead of the crowd. And good places to eat.

Edited by John Peck

I'm trying to make my first trip there in forever (1999) and do they have early ride times for Members? Also any suggestions of how to sty ahead of the crowd. And good places to eat.

During the week you shouldnt have a problem with lines.

Food... leave the park and drive to John & Mary's on Broadway. Get a chicken finger sub.

Besides the super cheap, smallest Eurofighter available and a super loop, they did NOTHING for the park.

What... the heck?! Tantrum was an amazing addition for Six Flags Darien Lake! I typically ride that at least 3 times (most likely more) whenever I go there. It is the best ride added to the park since Ride of Steel 19 years before it. A solid small thrill coaster for the kind of medium scale amusement park it fits great at (such as SFDL), and you're still here expecting more?! You know what? Everyone saying this thread has gone crazy is right.

Here, this is the new anthem of the TPR SFDL thread, for all the people thinking that SFDL has to paint their coasters better than Cedar Point (and the people saying Tantrum was a bad addition.... )

Makes me feel good about moving from Western NY to KC, I guess...

Yeah, people have complained about WoF not receiving a premier attraction since 2014...

BUT...5 years as opposed to a Eurofighter and a Skyscreamer in two years & people still endlessly complain in this thread about everything that the park does - regardless of ownership? I don't get it.

I think it's that shitty Western NY weather eating their brains...GET OUT NOW, PEOPLE!!! LOL

Yeah, some people complain about anything. I'm not sure why. Much more fun to accept it, set expectations accordingly, and go enjoy yourself.

I'm trying to make my first trip there in forever (1999) and do they have early ride times for Members? Also any suggestions of how to stay ahead of the crowd. And good places to eat.

I haven't eaten there yet, but it's kind of interesting that they have an Anchor Bar (I'm sure it's overpriced and nothing like the original, but) the original is the home of Buffalo Wings.

Most food is standard fried amusement park food, I don't usually get food in a park but I've gotten chicken fingers the past few times I've been there because I got the meal pass this year.

You should be fine in terms of crowds if you're there on a day that isn't a concert day, just make sure that if you desire to ride Mind Eraser be prepared to take a bit of a break for the sake of your brain and neck after.

Beaver Brother’s Lakeside Cafe, as well as Maria’s Italian Kitchen are the two sit down locations at the park and both are pretty good - and accept the discount (just not for the breakfast buffet at BBLC)

Tres Hombres has a fairly nice sized Walking Taco / Taco in a Bag that I had and would totally recommend. Plus, if you get food at the Boardwalk they give you a metric Sh*tton of fries, the food there isn’t spectacular but the serving isn’t all too chinsy either, plus with the membership discount, especially if you’re Diamond Elite, really does help make it worth it to eat in-park

Beaver Brother’s Lakeside Cafe, as well as Maria’s Italian Kitchen are the two sit down locations at the park and both are pretty good - and accept the discount (just not for the breakfast buffet at BBLC)

I've heard those are good also (I just haven't been to them personally).

You know what? Everyone saying this thread has gone crazy is right.

Here, this is the new anthem of the TPR SFDL thread, for all the people thinking that SFDL has to paint their coasters better than Cedar Point (and the people saying Tantrum was a bad addition.... )

Arent you the guy that did the math on how much it would cost to paint ROS by going to Sherwin Williams?

Besides the super cheap, smallest Eurofighter available and a super loop, they did NOTHING for the park.

What... the heck?! Tantrum was an amazing addition for Six Flags Darien Lake! I typically ride that at least 3 times (most likely more) whenever I go there. It is the best ride added to the park since Ride of Steel 19 years before it. A solid small thrill coaster for the kind of medium scale amusement park it fits great at (such as SFDL), and you're still here expecting more?! You know what? Everyone saying this thread has gone crazy is right.

I’m not saying Tantrum was a bad addition by any means. I’m saying for the type of park they are, they really could’ve spend a little more. Tantrum’s layout was designed to fit tightly on a pier. We are a 7-coaster park with a huge plot of land left from Thunder Rapids to build on. They could’ve gotten a little bigger of a model. And let’s not forget the hilariously cheap station/queue for it. Like they really couldn’t slap some paint over the wood to stop people from writing on it?

^ I'm not saying they couldn't have painted it or anything, but do you think that having a painted station would stop people from vandalizing / writing on it?

People who do stupid things are going to do stupid things no matter what material something is.

I'm just imagining someone looking at a queue line thinking "You know, I was going to write on this and leave my mark, but someone took the time to paint it... I guess I probably shouldn't..."

Anyone else heard that Motocoaster is being moved from its current spot? Heard from a friend at the park that they’re currently trying to move it because it’s on a separate power grid than the rest of the park and has been causing issues it’s power outages in the campground area.

^ They shouldn’t have put it there in the first place. Awkward and dumb location from the beginning. I wonder if this move would end up closing Darien Square to park guests as discussed previously. At the same time I wouldn’t be shocked to see Moto go completely. It’s had a lot of downtime in recent years and it was a prototype from the beginning.

I’m not saying Tantrum was a bad addition by any means. I’m saying for the type of park they are, they really could’ve spend a little more. Tantrum’s layout was designed to fit tightly on a pier. We are a 7-coaster park with a huge plot of land left from Thunder Rapids to build on. They could’ve gotten a little bigger of a model. And let’s not forget the hilariously cheap station/queue for it. Like they really couldn’t slap some paint over the wood to stop people from writing on it?

If youd read the posts in this thread instead of blathering on about nonsense, you wouldve seen that it was done purposefully on a budget, and had overruns as it is. They got what they could with the money they were allotted.

Anyone else heard that Motocoaster is being moved from its current spot? Heard from a friend at the park that they’re currently trying to move it because it’s on a separate power grid than the rest of the park and has been causing issues it’s power outages in the campground area.

If they did, I wonder if itd fit in Ranger's spot. Or if theyd do a couple of shifts and move Haymaker/Silver Bullet and put it there.

The only place I think they'd move it to is across the street next to the remains of cuda falls.

I can't imagine they would move that coaster somewhere else just because of a power issue. I'm sure it would be cheaper to just upgrade the power, rather than move the whole thing across the park, possible demolish rides, and level out the area.

Though I can see the power issue being plausible, as my friend who works for the park said that twister (rip) was not running a lot because it drew too much power, and would take away from the power capacity that the water park needed.

The only place I think they'd move it to is across the street next to the remains of cuda falls.

I can't imagine they would move that coaster somewhere else just because of a power issue. I'm sure it would be cheaper to just upgrade the power, rather than move the whole thing across the park, possible demolish rides, and level out the area.

Though I can see the power issue being plausible, as my friend who works for the park said that twister (rip) was not running a lot because it drew too much power, and would take away from the power capacity that the water park needed.

It would be interesting to know how much it would cost to move it in its current state. The thing has looked as if it were a temporary install since 2008 when it opened

It would be interesting to know how much it would cost to move it in its current state. The thing has looked as if it were a temporary install since 2008 when it opened

I cannot imagine it being too hard, since it isn’t actually planted into the ground. It’s laying on wood over the old pool. That being said, I can’t see Ranger’s plot being big enough to house the coaster, a station, and the queue. The only option would be the Cuda hill but the cost to re-shape that land must be astronomical. Honestly the best option at this point would just be to remove it. Too unreliable, capacity is crap, its not in the greatest shape anymore, and since it’s a prototype, it isn’t designed to last forever.

^ I have to disagree. The ride has typical downtime for a prototype but it’s uniqueness and fact that it’s the only launch coaster in the area makes it a favorite of park guests. They don’t fill the station, which only happens on that coaster and Tantrum which makes the line look a lot longer than it really is.

Down the ramp if they’re running it with no problems takes about 3 cycles or 10 minutes-ish which is not that bad at all for a ride like that. It’s remote location probably helps keep the line short(er). I’d imagine if it ends up on a main midway or something that could change.

At this point I can’t imagine they’d want to remove a coaster if they can salvage it in any way. The thing has never been SBNO for too long and it is usually open at this point (with the occasional hiccups that you’d expect).

Not sure why removing it altogether would even be a thought at this point to be honest.