TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Darien Lake (SFDL) Discussion Thread

Took this photo of it on May 11th. It is now August 5th and it is still there. Does management truly just not care about the park at all or something? This isn’t something that takes much time or money to fix and it’s absolutely appalling that it’s been there in a family park for that long. Come on DL, I know you guys don’t actually care about your park but really, this isn’t that hard to fix.

72A980A1-A914-4EDE-8B6E-A1128CF27A66.thumb.jpeg.e1279fbb00fc7b5c45950fe70818c8fa.jpeg

Ah yes, just beautiful.

THIS JUST IN:

- Corn Popper Works.

- SkyScreamer now has FOUR sets of seats that don’t work

- People are awful

Thank you for coming to my SFDL news update

When did SkyScreamer start breaking down and how bad are the waits now?

I think I’ve seen one break down since its been open, but I’d assume it’s been down more than that with how many seats don’t work. Each time I’ve ridden the thing except maybe once it’s been via Go Fast Pass, from last month compared to this month the ride wait used to be pretty steady with 2-3 cycle wait, now it seems to be closer to 4-6 cycles with the line going outside of the queue pavilion thing. I feel like that may be due to the Canadian holiday and the concert this weekend but that’s all I’ve got

I feel that SFDL should not add any rides for a year and just fix what they have for next season. ROS and ME definitely could use a new coat of paint. Those are DL best two Roller coasters in my opinion, with Viper at third best. I agree 100% that these roller coasters need the second train cars. ROS used to have a blue set and a red set, but when I was there yesterday, all that was on the track was the blue set of cars. Another thing was the food service was horrible. Everyone was slow at cashing out as well as preparing the orders. The prices are high, but that is normal at theme parks. The prices were exactly on par with SeaBreeze in Rochester (Greece). It not the price I complaining about, just the service. I like the ticket price, season pass price and membership price. I also did not like the lax security at the gate. We use to get a complete check of bags when coming through the gate. I know Six Flags has only had it back in their operation for a few months, but I am hoping that they can get it back to the way they ran it in the late 90's and early 2000's before they sold it.

For next season I would like to see:

-Painted back up to a presentable Six Flags Quality park

-Better gate security

-Better vendor and food service

-Better maintenance on the rides

-Two trains on the roller coasters

Any new attraction come after they fix up what they have in season 2021 and beyond. Take 2019/2020 winter and 2020 spring to fix what is there. Wish Six Flags used this site to get customer feedback. I always waiting for new attractions but the previous operators of the park really seem to have neglected the park. I don't blame SF for the neglect because I remember it was nice when they owned it, before they sold it in 2007. Darien Lakes best years were 1997 - 2007.

By the way, SF needs to do something to the "Barracudabay/Riptide run/Rainbow Mountain" hill. It looks like a meadow in the middle of the park. I would really like to see that hill revived into another set of slides personally, but that might just be my 80/90's nostalgia talking.

People might not agree with me but this is just a little on how I feel.

Totally agree. Was just there today. I never complain about DL, but today was crazy. DL is what it is, but definitely needs a good coat of paint. Definitely need 2 trains on the coasters bottom line. The lines on Viper, Predator, ROS even ME and Morocoaster were out of the gatehouse and well on the path during peak time. Someone asked the ride attendant on the viper if there was a 2nd train. They said yes. Then asked why they were not running it. The attendant just shrugged and said don't know. The gatehouse is also in desperate need of paint. If they are going to do the whole fast pass thing fine, but 2 train op is a must. They had at one point 2 cars roped off on the viper just for fast pass with only. Unacceptable for 1 train op. This is DL, not Disney. Skyscreamer with 4 roped off double seats and fast pass, crazy since the ride is brand new. That's 8+ people in line unable to ride and it only holds 30 people; almost 1/3 of the ride can't be used each cycle. Doesn't it come with a warranty...lol. I would like to see the lights fixed on rides too. A lot of dead bulbs. Flat waits were not bad.

As far as food goes, today it was slow as molasses. Long lines and only 1 person taking orders when there is 2-3 registers.

Does anyone also know why they have all the parts for Sleigh Ride sitting outside the gatehouse verses in the maintenance area? That has kind of bothered me all season. Missing panel and lights like it was going to be set up, but looks like they ran out of time by opening day?

Sabreeze is very well maintained in comparison, granted it is a smaller park.

Like I said, it is what it is, I still like the park. Still had fun with the kiddos regardless. Just have to make sure I don't go on a concert day.

I feel that SFDL should not add any rides for a year and just fix what they have for next season. ROS and ME definitely could use a new coat of paint. Those are DL best two Roller coasters in my opinion, with Viper at third best. I agree 100% that these roller coasters need the second train cars. ROS used to have a blue set and a red set, but when I was there yesterday, all that was on the track was the blue set of cars. Another thing was the food service was horrible. Everyone was slow at cashing out as well as preparing the orders. The prices are high, but that is normal at theme parks. The prices were exactly on par with SeaBreeze in Rochester (Greece). It not the price I complaining about, just the service. I like the ticket price, season pass price and membership price. I also did not like the lax security at the gate. We use to get a complete check of bags when coming through the gate. I know Six Flags has only had it back in their operation for a few months, but I am hoping that they can get it back to the way they ran it in the late 90's and early 2000's before they sold it.

-Better gate security

Any new attraction come after they fix up what they have in season 2021 and beyond. Take 2019/2020 winter and 2020 spring to fix what is there. Wish Six Flags used this site to get customer feedback. I always waiting for new attractions but the previous operators of the park really seem to have neglected the park. I don't blame SF for the neglect because I remember it was nice when they owned it, before they sold it in 2007. Darien Lakes best years were 1997 - 2007.

By the way, SF needs to do something to the "Barracudabay/Riptide run/Rainbow Mountain" hill. It looks like a meadow in the middle of the park. I would really like to see that hill revived into another set of slides personally, but that might just be my 80/90's nostalgia talking.

Totally agree. Was just there today. I never complain about DL, but today was crazy. DL is what it is, but definitely needs a good coat of paint. Definitely need 2 trains on the coasters bottom line. The lines on Viper, Predator, ROS even ME and Morocoaster were out of the gatehouse and well on the path during peak time. Someone asked the ride attendant on the viper if there was a 2nd train. They said yes. Then asked why they were not running it. The attendant just shrugged and said don't know. The gatehouse is also in desperate need of paint. If they are going to do the whole fast pass thing fine, but 2 train op is a must. They had at one point 2 cars roped off on the viper just for fast pass with only. Unacceptable for 1 train op. This is DL, not Disney. Skyscreamer with 4 roped off double seats and fast pass, crazy since the ride is brand new. That's 8+ people in line unable to ride and it only holds 30 people; almost 1/3 of the ride can't be used each cycle. Doesn't it come with a warranty...lol. I would like to see the lights fixed on rides too. A lot of dead bulbs. Flat waits were not bad.

As far as food goes, today it was slow as molasses. Long lines and only 1 person taking orders when there is 2-3 registers.

Does anyone also know why they have all the parts for Sleigh Ride sitting outside the gatehouse verses in the maintenance area? That has kind of bothered me all season. Missing panel and lights like it was going to be set up, but looks like they ran out of time by opening day?

Like I said, it is what it is, I still like the park. Still had fun with the kiddos regardless. Just have to make sure I don't go on a concert day.

I 100% agree on the whole Go Fast Pass issue. Blocking off two whole cars on Viper’s ONE AND ONLY train is absolutely unacceptable. Not to mention how long Viper’s ride cycle is. Bring back the second trains, then add Go Fast Pass. It’s totally unfair to everyone standing in line to essentially wait for one five-car train on Viper now. That capacity number is horrendous. Too cheap to pay for maintenance to the second train yet raking in profits from their fast pass sales.

-Better gate security

I 100% agree on the whole Go Fast Pass issue. Blocking off two whole cars on Viper’s ONE AND ONLY train is absolutely unacceptable. Not to mention how long Viper’s ride cycle is. Bring back the second trains, then add Go Fast Pass. It’s totally unfair to everyone standing in line to essentially wait for one five-car train on Viper now. That capacity number is horrendous. Too cheap to pay for maintenance to the second train yet raking in profits from their fast pass sales.

It wasn’t just viper, it was also ride of steel and Predator. I preferred it over the system Motocoaster was using where they just let fast pass people pick where they wanted to go. There was a group of 3 or 4 kids that just kept getting back into the fast pass line and riding the thing every other train because they had the wristbands and it made the line crawl. I don’t think that’s okay at all. But it happened!

Seabreeze is lovely. I can't say enough good things about the place. If I lived near Darien Lake I would spend way more time there and at Wonderland than Darien Lake. I wish that park got more attention.

As for everything else on the last two pages... lol

Seabreeze is lovely. I can't say enough good things about the place. If I lived near Darien Lake I would spend way more time there and at Wonderland than Darien Lake. I wish that park got more attention.

Can't wait to hear about your visit in detail when you get around to it this time next year!

As for everything else on the last two pages... lol

In all sincerity SeaBreeze is wonderful for what it is, though I don’t know that I would drive over an hour to get there on a normal occasion. We went there once a couple of years back, rode everything we wanted to ride, left for a few hours to go “Wegmans Hopping” (got to 9 stores in one day, Rochester makes it super easy - don’t judge, we’re ‘WegManiacs’ as they call it) and then came back to night ride. We had to’ve ridden the Whirlwind at least 10 times, the Bobsleds are awesome and the Jack Rabbit is such a great part of Central New York history being almost 100 years old now.

The only downside to the park is it’s size, but that is a very minor downside to have for a family park such as SeaBreeze. It surprised me that a park of its size was open regularly from 11am-10pm but hey, you sure do get your monies worth.

left for a few hours to go “Wegmans Hopping” (got to 9 stores in one day, Rochester makes it super easy - don’t judge, we’re ‘WegManiacs’ as they call it)

You really think I'm just going to let this go?

Are there grocery store enthusiasts?

left for a few hours to go “Wegmans Hopping” (got to 9 stores in one day, Rochester makes it super easy - don’t judge, we’re ‘WegManiacs’ as they call it)

I love Wegmans too but I've never heard of Wegmans Hopping or WegManiacs, as for Seabreeze, its a much nicer park even being smaller. If you do both the waterpark and rides its a good full day park that you can take your time at and not have to worry about massive lines (except the bobsleds of course which are just slow no matter how long it is).

"Weg-cation": Two employees visit all 97 Wegmans stores in one week

https://13wham.com/news/local/two-employees-visit-all-97-wegmans-stores-in-one-week

Personally, I have been to like 4 or 5 wegmans, and they're pretty much all the same. Well, one was a mirror image of my "home store," which was different, but other than that, haven't noticed much difference.

"Weg-cation": Two employees visit all 97 Wegmans stores in one week

https://13wham.com/news/local/two-employees-visit-all-97-wegmans-stores-in-one-week

Personally, I have been to like 4 or 5 wegmans, and they're pretty much all the same. Well, one was a mirror image of my "home store," which was different, but other than that, haven't noticed much difference.

I mean, Wegmans is a great store and all, and I’m glad I live near one, but why on earth would someone travel all over to get to multiple locations of a grocery store? Doesn’t make a lot of sense to me but to each their own I guess.

As a Wegmans employee for almost 4 years, it was quite common to want to visit as many stores as one could to have bragging rights. Plus, Wegmans is Freaking awesome. The best stores I’ve seen thus far are the newer ones in New Jersey (closer to Montclair and NYC) though my favorite store in NY is currently East Street Wegmans in downtown Rochester.

Long story short - yes, grocery store enthusiasts exist, though nowhere near the same level as theme park enthusiasts, and seemingly its pretty much just Wegmans fans (I’ve never seen an entire store get so excited about meeting an ex-CEO in my life aside from when Danny Wegman and his daughters came to visit for the Buffalo 40th anniversary celebration)

As a Wegmans employee for almost 4 years, it was quite common to want to visit as many stores as one could to have bragging rights. Plus, Wegmans is Freaking awesome. The best stores I’ve seen thus far are the newer ones in New Jersey (closer to Montclair and NYC) though my favorite store in NY is currently East Street Wegmans in downtown Rochester.

Long story short - yes, grocery store enthusiasts exist, though nowhere near the same level as theme park enthusiasts, and seemingly its pretty much just Wegmans fans (I’ve never seen an entire store get so excited about meeting an ex-CEO in my life aside from when Danny Wegman and his daughters came to visit for the Buffalo 40th anniversary celebration)

I think the Wegmans in Hamburg on McKinley is the best one I ever went to or at least the best in WNY. I found a lot of products carried there that are not carried at other Wegmans stores. Because I visited late at night I didn't even get to the prepared foods section over here but that area took up over half the store. Over here in the falls prices are way cheaper in general at Wegmans then they are at the Walmart which is right across the street, although the Walmart is much busier for some reason I don't know.... Most items we buy at Wegmans cost $1 or more than that per item at the Walmart across the street... I guess Walmart is trying to capitalize on the name maybe?

I have run into the dead mall enthusiasts, I have run into the elevator enthusiasts. vacuum cleaner enthusiasts... and I have even run into enthusiasts for fans.. particularly large ones that are in large buildings.. yes fans. According to a certain TV show there is even a museum out there for fans. There are also Chick Fil A enthusiasts that will try to visit every restaurant but I am not even going there. So I think there is an enthusiast for just about everything on earth.

Straight from six flags Darien lake operations manager

Not that I condone emailing the operations manager... but how does he not know that their brand new ride has 4 sets of seats not operational? Don’t these people walk around the park like at all?

Just seeing progress on Mind Eraser was nice, even though it’s been at a stand still (seemingly) for over a month now, and I do realize progress takes time, especially as a newly acquired park. It’s just baffling that they have had single train operations for 7 years, and that as the park has gotten more of an attendance boost nothing on that front (from an outsiders perspective) has changed.

Do you locals think the park will rename Ride of Steel back to Superman, now the Six Flags is in charge, or will they leave it as is? What have you heard, if anything?

If they can use that to justify repainting it and adding a second train as a “new-for-2020” addition then yes I could totally see that happening. Otherwise I wouldn’t count on it. It’s like a pipe dream at this point but I’m still trying to have some faith that they’ll do something with these rides.

Remembering back to when they did the new wraps on the viper trains, that was one of my favorite “little things” that they did that I wish they’d do to other rides too. Plus it’s six flags. I wouldn’t put it past them to spend $1-2 million on a new train and some TLC and call it new. Folks around here have wanted that for ages, it’s a perfect way to invest in the current infrastructure and claim there’s a new experience.