TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Darien Lake (SFDL) Discussion Thread

Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed my day at the park, but I can see some issues.

Gum walls (like in predator's queue) should ideally be scraped and the station for Viper really needs some love.

Viper rode great however and only had 2 rough spots in the batwing.

If all of Predator was retracked I think it would be a perfectly fine wooden coaster, I just don't normally hear about Six Flags retracking their wooden coasters, lately it's just been the RMC treatment.

Stopped by the park quick to see what was going on since I was nearby. I only managed to ride two rides as the park was packed and I didn't feel like waiting long for anything today since I'll be back tomorrow anyway with some family.

Here's some updates / park info:

- Parking was overflowing onto the lawn and overflow lot (directly next to the toll gate), the main lot did indeed have spots available but neither of the two regularly used paved lots were by any means empty. pretty nice to see the park busy and alive!

- Motocoaster was down, as was Pirate (obviously), an employee was by the gate of Motocoaster (near the bridge) stating it would be down for at least another hour at 7pm, leading me to believe it would be down for the remainder of the evening.

-SkyScreamer now has THREE sets of seats that are not currently available to riders. I know I'm one to consistently defend this park and get into unnecessary internet arguments for the place but come on... THREE seats? This ride has been open for only about three months... Welcome to the Darien Lake family, SkyScreamer, apparently things never change around here when it comes to ride maintenance...

- Grande Wheel is back up and running, and had a 20 minute wait or so based on the amount of folks in the queue.

- Speaking of queue times, the rides I checked on had queue times as follows:

- Viper: 30-45 minutes

- Mind Eraser: 20-30 minutes

- Sky Screamer: 30-45 minutes

- Ride of Steel: 60-75 minutes

- Ride of Steel Go Fast Pass: 20-30 minutes

- Predator: 30-45 minutes

- Boomerang: 15-20 minutes

- Scrambler: 20-30 minutes

- Either I haven't noticed it yet or they have just recently installed them since my last visit, but there are completely new speakers on the RoS Midway and the Main Entrance Pathway leading up to the fountain.

- Apparently they now have membership "exclusive ride time" in the morning? I Assume it runs from 10:00-10:30am. I'm not sure if they changed the time of Hotel/Campground Early Ride Time from 9:30, but if they didn't that would mean resort guests could get up to 1 hour of early entry which could be pretty nice for the young ones to run around and enjoy the open rides before the park opens to the public. There is a little truss-archway thing to the right of the main entry path by the Splahshtown gift shop and they now also have a sign advertising it. This perk is valid for Gold Plus up to Diamond Elite members.

- A new feature that I finally saw pop up on my phone was in-park wifi. I couldn't get it to work right, but I was trying in the Boomerang queue and really only gave it about 5 minutes of thought. Maybe tomorrow, we shall see.

- For what its worth, I didn't notice any signs of 2020 hubbub. But also honestly I didn't look too hard for anything. We didn't see much activity for SkyScreamer until just before the season kicked off, I'm not so sure 2020 construction will be much different... Unless "East Coast Racers" comes to SFDL instead of SFGAdv of course

Only a couple pictures to support some points above.

IMG_5648.thumb.jpeg.61d9e3c9233eb673dbed4ca66bce775b.jpeg

Three in a row too. Convenient for pictures, not for riders.

IMG_5649.thumb.png.3a7e45027617e848de4f93a1424037e0.png

It says it worked, but my apps and webpages failing to load says it did not. Maybe next time!

IMG_5650.thumb.jpeg.fe24629954b275221ee45f8cc6597769.jpeg

New Speaker NERD SHOT! It's nice to see small touches continuing to roll out at the park as the season progresses.

^I noticed Sky Screamer has some seats down also when I was there. I guess it's easier to put a sign on the seats then to replace the seat sensor or lock release (the only two things I can imagine would go wrong on just a couple of seats)

Quick annoyance post addition from my trip Friday that I had forgotten.

I'm a season pass holder, I don't have the Six Flags membership, so please allow me to acknowledge that I know I'm in the wrong on this, but I've always used the right-most lane at the entrance gate to get in and have NEVER had a problem until Friday when I was turned away by a guy at the front of the line in exceptionally rude fashion.

Like I said, it's the "membership" line I can acknowledge I didn't belong in that line, but have some courtesy to your patrons... geeze.

The new speakers have been on the front entrance path since last year, the RoS path since earlier this year. But yes, a very nice touch.

As for the wait times and crowds you discussed, these are the days (which are quite common lately with all the concerts and events) that the whole one-train-on-every-single-coaster thing is flat out ridiculous and unacceptable. Waiting for upwards of an hour or more in some cases because the park is too cheap to do what almost every other theme park does and just run a second train is absolutely absurd. Out of all the issues with the park that Six Flags needs to look into. I’m sure many of us can agree that second trains should be a rip priority for the park. It’s most certainly needed lately.

Anyone else been noticing the increased amounts of downtime Moto has had these past few years now? I’ve been finding it quite concerning that a ride from 2008 has the same amount of downtime as most rides that are on their last legs. Not good.

With all of Skyscreamer’s broken seats, noticed 2 sets out last week. It’s truly amazing just how lazy and cheap the park’s maintenance team really is. So pathetic.

The new speakers have been on the front entrance path since last year, the RoS path since earlier this year. But yes, a very nice touch.

As for the wait times and crowds you discussed, these are the days (which are quite common lately with all the concerts and events) that the whole one-train-on-every-single-coaster thing is flat out ridiculous and unacceptable. Waiting for upwards of an hour or more in some cases because the park is too cheap to do what almost every other theme park does and just run a second train is absolutely absurd. Out of all the issues with the park that Six Flags needs to look into. I’m sure many of us can agree that second trains should be a rip priority for the park. It’s most certainly needed lately.

Anyone else been noticing the increased amounts of downtime Moto has had these past few years now? I’ve been finding it quite concerning that a ride from 2008 has the same amount of downtime as most rides that are on their last legs. Not good.

With all of Skyscreamer’s broken seats, noticed 2 sets out last week. It’s truly amazing just how lazy and cheap the park’s maintenance team really is. So pathetic.

Moto could be on the way out... It doesn't look like it was ever even meant to be there permanently, sitting on a swimming pool. Maybe it's time is finally up.

I don't think I have seen it advertised in any ads for the park that I have seen lately, or any SFDL instagram posts.

If they removed motocoaster, tin lizzys, and the go kart track, there would be a huge plot of land for a big coaster.

Wouldn't that be cool to have a B & M dive coaster either partly over, or next to the lake...

2119168219_tinlizzys.thumb.PNG.8c883dcc7850a838f76187abae3847e6.PNG

Thats pretty presumptious.

Moto could be on the way out... It doesn't look like it was ever even meant to be there permanently, sitting on a swimming pool. Maybe it's time is finally up.

I don't think I have seen it advertised in any ads for the park that I have seen lately, or any SFDL instagram posts.

If they removed motocoaster, tin lizzys, and the go kart track, there would be a huge plot of land for a big coaster.

Wouldn't that be cool to have a B & M dive coaster either partly over, or next to the lake...

[attachment=0]tin lizzys.PNG[/attachment]

Cool yes, plausible... no

To answer the question on the early ride time... Accommodations and membership early ride time starts for both at 10.

A b&m dive coaster would be amazing. Valravn is one of my favourite coasters. But there is no way Darien Lake would be adding some thing like that any time soon.

Maybe we could see the first Mack Big Dipper(in NA) if all goes good with the power splash for the chain, since dynamite and lost gravity were both around 6 million USD

Seems a little redundant to add a Mack Big Dipper when they already have Tantrum, a similar ride.

The big dipper is Mack's response to the infinity coaster, but it's also meant to feel like a wild mouse with quick and snappy transitions

^ Grizzly is fine, why would it need to be replaced?

Just theorizing because he mentioned it could be a water ride and GR has been mentioned in the past as a removal candidate.

: (

I always thought grizzly was a strong water ride, it would be a shame to see it removed...

^ Grizzly is fine, why would it need to be replaced?

Just theorizing because he mentioned it could be a water ride and GR has been mentioned in the past as a removal candidate.

: (

I always thought grizzly was a strong water ride, it would be a shame to see it removed...

It was probably 4-5 years ago, I think its been renovated since so I wouldnt be too concerned.

I feel that SFDL should not add any rides for a year and just fix what they have for next season. ROS and ME definitely could use a new coat of paint. Those are DL best two Roller coasters in my opinion, with Viper at third best. I agree 100% that these roller coasters need the second train cars. ROS used to have a blue set and a red set, but when I was there yesterday, all that was on the track was the blue set of cars. Another thing was the food service was horrible. Everyone was slow at cashing out as well as preparing the orders. The prices are high, but that is normal at theme parks. The prices were exactly on par with SeaBreeze in Rochester (Greece). It not the price I complaining about, just the service. I like the ticket price, season pass price and membership price. I also did not like the lax security at the gate. We use to get a complete check of bags when coming through the gate. I know Six Flags has only had it back in their operation for a few months, but I am hoping that they can get it back to the way they ran it in the late 90's and early 2000's before they sold it.

For next season I would like to see:

-Painted back up to a presentable Six Flags Quality park

-Better gate security

-Better vendor and food service

-Better maintenance on the rides

-Two trains on the roller coasters

Any new attraction come after they fix up what they have in season 2021 and beyond. Take 2019/2020 winter and 2020 spring to fix what is there. Wish Six Flags used this site to get customer feedback. I always waiting for new attractions but the previous operators of the park really seem to have neglected the park. I don't blame SF for the neglect because I remember it was nice when they owned it, before they sold it in 2007. Darien Lakes best years were 1997 - 2007.

By the way, SF needs to do something to the "Barracudabay/Riptide run/Rainbow Mountain" hill. It looks like a meadow in the middle of the park. I would really like to see that hill revived into another set of slides personally, but that might just be my 80/90's nostalgia talking.

People might not agree with me but this is just a little on how I feel.

I feel that SFDL should not add any rides for a year and just fix what they have for next season. ROS and ME definitely could use a new coat of paint. Those are DL best two Roller coasters in my opinion, with Viper at third best. I agree 100% that these roller coasters need the second train cars. ROS used to have a blue set and a red set, but when I was there yesterday, all that was on the track was the blue set of cars. Another thing was the food service was horrible. Everyone was slow at cashing out as well as preparing the orders. The prices are high, but that is normal at theme parks. The prices were exactly on par with SeaBreeze in Rochester (Greece). It not the price I complaining about, just the service. I like the ticket price, season pass price and membership price. I also did not like the lax security at the gate. We use to get a complete check of bags when coming through the gate. I know Six Flags has only had it back in their operation for a few months, but I am hoping that they can get it back to the way they ran it in the late 90's and early 2000's before they sold it.

For next season I would like to see:

-Painted back up to a presentable Six Flags Quality park

-Better gate security

-Better vendor and food service

-Better maintenance on the rides

-Two trains on the roller coasters

Any new attraction come after they fix up what they have in season 2021 and beyond. Take 2019/2020 winter and 2020 spring to fix what is there. Wish Six Flags used this site to get customer feedback. I always waiting for new attractions but the previous operators of the park really seem to have neglected the park. I don't blame SF for the neglect because I remember it was nice when they owned it, before they sold it in 2007. Darien Lakes best years were 1997 - 2007.

By the way, SF needs to do something to the "Barracudabay/Riptide run/Rainbow Mountain" hill. It looks like a meadow in the middle of the park. I would really like to see that hill revived into another set of slides personally, but that might just be my 80/90's nostalgia talking.

People might not agree with me but this is just a little on how I feel.

THIS JUST IN:

- Corn Popper Works.

- SkyScreamer now has FOUR sets of seats that don’t work

- People are awful

Thank you for coming to my SFDL news update

When did SkyScreamer start breaking down and how bad are the waits now?

THIS JUST IN:

- Corn Popper Works.

- SkyScreamer now has FOUR sets of seats that don’t work

- People are awful

Thank you for coming to my SFDL news update

The “666 die” has been scratched into ME’s station since May. Yep, it’s been there for 4 months, yet the park is too lazy to slap some paint over it. Seriously? This park is something else.