TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Darien Lake (SFDL) Discussion Thread

I think they replaced some wheels (some of the wheels are yellow and some are clear) on Viper because today it was running real smooth and it was the first time it didnt give me neck pain. My wife said the same thing. Either that or we found the right car to ride in. I kept my head off the headrest and she kept hers on it so it wasnt necessarily riding position.

Where did you sit?

I think they replaced some wheels (some of the wheels are yellow and some are clear) on Viper because today it was running real smooth and it was the first time it didnt give me neck pain. My wife said the same thing. Either that or we found the right car to ride in. I kept my head off the headrest and she kept hers on it so it wasnt necessarily riding position.

Where did you sit?

Second car front row

I am going to speculate the return of DC to the park next year. With that ROS goes back to being Superman. To drive this they get two new trains and add VR to the ride. For those opting out of VR new 2D and fire effects will be added. They will also add a second train to MotoCoaster and possibly ME.

If they opt to add a true new ride, I expect some type of frisbee or discovery type ride

I am going to speculate the return of DC to the park next year. With that ROS goes back to being Superman. To drive this they get two new trains and add VR to the ride. For those opting out of VR new 2D and fire effects will be added. They will also add a second train to MotoCoaster and possibly ME.

If they opt to add a true new ride, I expect some type of frisbee or discovery type ride

Doubt they get two new trains when they just bought one a fee years ago.

I love your ideas except for one part. The stupid god awful VR. I tried it at Wonderland a few years back. It’s not that great and it would just make the already horrendous darien operations even slower. Also I doubt any fire effects would ever happen. Even when it was superman last time the most it had was some mist after the drop, and apparently they were too cheap to keep some simple mist even running anymore.

I love your ideas except for one part. The stupid god awful VR. I tried it at Wonderland a few years back. It’s not that great and it would just make the already horrendous darien operations even slower. Also I doubt any fire effects would ever happen. Even when it was superman last time the most it had was some mist after the drop, and apparently they were too cheap to keep some simple mist even running anymore.

Well they did go bankrupt...

83960b1bd947d7356618202082aa0f17.jpg.90acf1786275b92fe3a52f8b72932314.jpg

Motocoaster is broken down too much to warrant the purchase of a second train.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Synchronized fire effects are already in use at the park for their laser show, if they wanted to continue using similar tech for a Rollercoaster - especially with Six Flags being the one to pay for it (at least at first) then I wouldn’t be all that surprised if they had it somewhere for “dramatic effect”

If Bizarro at SFGAdv can run with fire when it’s dead, then Darien can do it to (if that’s what ends up happening)

Apparently Sky Screamer closes early for the laser show. Annoying when you walk up to an empty station at 9:15 and the show doesnt start until 9:40.

The line is cut off at a different time every night depending on how many people are still in line and the ride has to close by 9:30. What looks dumb is how the park map doesn’t list the ride necessitating an early close but most people will still be ticked off regardless. It can sometimes be hard to judge the proper time to close the line off so giving the employee standing at the entrance a hard time isn’t worth the trouble. If anything the only way this ride could avoid closing early would be if it was placed near the Ride of Steel entrance and away from the laser show.

Anyone noticed if Giant Wheel is operating last few days?

I believe it went back up on Saturday.

With Corn Popper getting fixed it’s tough to say where the the addition for next year will go. The only ride I think could go in Pirate’s location is a miniature frisbee ride like Chaos at Waldameer or Extreme Supernova at Great Escape. This is because the proper supports are already in place and with a few modifications that kind of ride would fit the layout right by the water.

If not then I see the ride getting removed without anything going in it’s spot and the platforms staying put where they are like that giant pole where the divers used to jump from during the Splashmania ski show. It sounds like that’s exactly what this park would do.

A giant discovery would necessitate a very large layout and the only way I see that gettin installed is by removing or somehow relocating Haymaker and Silver Bullet, but I don’t think those rides could be relocated either way.

If a coaster is in the future plans, the best area for it would be the site of the Grand Prix Speedway and possibly the batting cages. Bathrooms in that area might also be good to install.

Just some recommendations but we’ll see what happens.

^ What about the decent sized plot of land next to Ride of Steel? It's fenced off, and was used for Fright Fest a while back, now it's never used (although maybe Kingdom Bound uses it? I don't know as I stay away from the park during KB).

^ What about the decent sized plot of land next to Ride of Steel? It's fenced off, and was used for Fright Fest a while back, now it's never used (although maybe Kingdom Bound uses it? I don't know as I stay away from the park during KB).

Not anymore, theyve been using the land behind the Anchor Bar for the park stage, which could be a spot to put something. Not positive about this year. There's always the hill where some things used to be but that would probably be a lot of (expensive) earth moving. And as mentioned, Sleigh Ride is definitely a removal candidate. Reminds me of Raging Seas final years. I could see them removing or moving Maria's and the picnic grove if they wanted to open up space too.

I made it up to Darien Lake today for a pretty decent day.

-Ride of Steel 3x, which is still the best ride in the park hands down (even though I had one kind of shaky ride on it that was a bit odd in the middle of the day) This ride badly needs a second train and a paint job.

-Boomerang 1x, it sure was a boomerang (actually it was a pretty decent boomerang)

-Motocoaster 1x, under rated little ride. The launch is very nice even though not overly fast

-Viper 2x, the best part of this ride was the person in full Deadpool cosplay riding it after our second time (I got a decent picture of Deadpool going through the corkscrews)

-Mind Eraser 1x, the worst SLC I've ever ridden. It felt like the wheels were shaped like octagons and there were moments it felt like the train could come to a screeching halt or fall off the track. This this is truly awful and should be removed

-Rolling Thunder, not a roller coaster so it will not be discussed, but I had to bring it up briefly because of the never ending superloop debate

-Tantrum 1x, Very fun little coaster, second best ride in the park. We would have ridden it more but the line got long from the people at the park for the Korn concert

-Predator 1x, This could be RMCed at any time... The very short retracked parts were fine, the actual layout is nice, but this ride just felt like complete trash and garbage.

Fun park that needs love and a new coat of paint (pretty much everything really needs a new coat of paint). All of the coaster except Boomerang and Tantrum need additional trains however. This is one of the Parks that really could greatly benefit from some landscaping and additional trees or shade in the queue lines, but it's a Six Flags... I'm not really expecting they ever do any of that.

(Seriously though, Mind Eraser can be torn down tomorrow and I won't be sad in the slightest)

^ ROS and ME have needed paint for years of course (Moto is getting there) but I have noticed that concessions, buildings and signage all look mostly fresh and new. Predator is doable in the front car if you stay off the seat back but the car is still pounding the upstops. Wouldnt be sad if it rained gas on it and got struck by lightning.