TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Darien Lake (SFDL) Discussion Thread

At the park today...Corn Popper is running! Also, looks like maintenance is doing something on Pirate. There's been two maintenance workers down there at the control panel for the last hour or so. Haven't seen the ride move though.

Hopefully removing all the parts they can to prepare it for removal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t even know where to begin. Not only do you want another coaster already at this small market park but you want a really long one? Have you seen what Six Flags has been doing lately?

In my opinion, it is not that hard to imagine Six Flags installing a Freespin coaster in the near future. However, I do agree with the second half of your post. Six Flags Darien Lake has a history of adding short cloned coasters (more than half of the coaster lineup consists of short length cloned coasters). On top of that, as already mentioned on this forum, Six Flags has not exactly been adding the longest coasters as of lately lol. However, at least MaxxForce looks nice.

Also, not giving names, but just some internet advice... it is a terrible idea to go almost anywhere on the internet and tell other people that they are being "mean" and should "leave you alone". Maybe coasterbill could have said it more nicely, but this is the internet. Expect it LOL . I feel like this forum would be less toxic if more people on here understood that. But oh well.

For the record, I think it’s on the optimistic side but I don’t think a Free Spin is totally beyond the realm of possibility. I’m not expecting a big year this year as they’ve had two really good years in a row (though obviously Tantrum wasn’t a Six Flags project) and they’re a small market but I wouldn’t be totally shocked if they get one in the next few years.

For the record, I think it’s on the optimistic side but I don’t think a Free Spin is totally beyond the realm of possibility. I’m not expecting a big year this year as they’ve had two really good years in a row (though obviously Tantrum wasn’t a Six Flags project) and they’re a small market but I wouldn’t be totally shocked if they get one in the next few years.

Maybe it is a bit optimistic, but I really hope they do eventually install one of those. A Freespin coaster would fit very well into the park. Is it too optimistic to say next year though? I'm honestly not even really sure. I'm rather confident in saying at the most within the next few years.

/end rant

I think part of the problem is that this park has about as much actual activity and changes as Dorney Park does, and this thread is for some inexplicable reason almost twice as long.

You DL fans are just insane about minutiae and discussing all kinds of crazy out there possibilities that are extremely unlikely. Can't fault anyone for poking fun at that.

And if you can't handle people poking fun at your inane obsession with a mid-tier park that doesn't need and won't get any substantial investment, perhaps this place is more your speed. It's ripe for revitalization.

SFDL has had a lot more changes and news since this thread was started than Dorney Park. This thread started when it was first SFDL, so theres 2 sales in there, 4 operator changes, 2 (small) coasters, a waterpark expansion, a death on its one major ride, and one lease operator teasing and applying with the town for an RMC of Predator. It also sits directly between two mid sized cities and within a short driving distance of Toronto and Southern Ontario. Dorney has been owned and operated by Cedar Fair with no incidents that im aware of. Yeah its close to Philly but has to compete with Hersheypark and SFGAdv. SFDL's nearest competition is Canada's Wonderland but I rarely hear locals talk about going there.

Darien Lake doesn't really need to do much to reel guests back in for another season, SkyScreamer and the membership program reeled in LOTS of people back, and even if we add a new splash pad or a Midi discovery, people will still get pumped for it (just depends on which group of people they're aiming for) and want to return.

Wow, I'm completely lost and have no idea why any of that was directed at me.

Bill made a sensible post which you directly referenced but then said you would instead reply to a "productive message" thereby inferring that his post was somehow not that. But he's right, and that's all I was getting at.

Sorry if you're having a bad day?

Let people enjoy discussing a park on its thread and please stop trying to shoot ideas and thoughts down because you find them unrealistic. It’s not just you but it’s happened enough here that it was worth saying something. Bill is right about one thing for sure, it’s not that serious. It’s just a hobby. And that’s my point. Just let people enjoy it.

Darien Lake ain’t much but it’s a nice park that a lot of us are happy to have practically in our backyards. It’s a WNY tradition and people over here really like the place. Sorry if people can’t tolerate that...

That’s it.

Looking forward to 2020 regardless. I’m glad to see my home park getting attention and once again being a part of a large theme park company.

And for the record - I’ve been on the side of “repaint and retheme a ride and call it new” since last year’s announcement. My actual expectations aren’t at all anything exciting. Trust me.

That’s really all I’ve got, hopefully that helps.

Edited by SbSteveZ

^ Not for Darien. Too early for that kind of investment right now. I would say waterpark addition.

Here’s my thing though, other than possibly a Hooks replacement, what else could the waterpark need at this point. We have a modern, decent waterpark at this point after having to deal with year after year of waterpark additions. The dry side of the park needs serious help and a new flat ride to replace maybe Pirate or Sleighride would make much more sense than another waterpark addition.

^ Ever since they took out the bucket on top of the play area that section has really started to show its age. I'm sure kids and families would love to have some sort of revamp of that area now that the complex is close to 20 years old (I believe).

Perhaps that plus some retheme / repaint of RoS / ME (ala Superman at Great Adventure and V2 at Discovery Kingdom this year - doesn't really need to be marketed but TOTALLY could be if they chose to go that route)

Its interesting going back to last year's discussion in August, and the theories people had. Eventually people seemed to land on Sky Screamer being the most realistic. While my dream would be all new LED lighting all across the park, and on most rides. I feel its most realistic that we will get a replacement splash pad to Hooks Lagoon, or a flying frisbee ride.

As far as i'm concerned regarding the wave pool is fine for now, but the playground looks like it needs to be replaced.

I'm guessing a new splash pad and kiddie slide complex for 2020 to replace the almost 25 year old Hook's Lagoon.

I don't know if they will go with another splash pad in similar style to Hooks. Apparently it takes a lot of chemicals to maintain that much surface area of water compared to the other water park attractions. In general a water attraction seems like it would be an odd choice especially since with Six Flags they are looking to push back into October when the water park closes in, what, early September?

I don't know if they will go with another splash pad in similar style to Hooks. Apparently it takes a lot of chemicals to maintain that much surface area of water compared to the other water park attractions. In general a water attraction seems like it would be an odd choice especially since with Six Flags they are looking to push back into October when the water park closes in, what, early September?

They should convert to salt. It seemed that BGW and Hersheypark used salt and their log and raft rides had nice clear water compared to Shipwreck and Grizzly's brown water. Salt works much better.

Hook's slides still closed, im assuming theyll never open at this point.

I think they replaced some wheels (some of the wheels are yellow and some are clear) on Viper because today it was running real smooth and it was the first time it didnt give me neck pain. My wife said the same thing. Either that or we found the right car to ride in. I kept my head off the headrest and she kept hers on it so it wasnt necessarily riding position.

^ grizzly run is such a hidden gem with its location in the back corner and I’m a huge fan of that.

The thing that strikes me as weird about them adding another water ride into the park is that the water park is free to enter from within SFDL making most water attractions within the park almost unnecessary.

Maybe they replace hooks with that spinning “spray the riders and / or the onlookers” ride thing they added to Great Escape a couple years ago? Like a happy medium between water ride and theme park ride?

Is it obvious that I’m not a big water park person? I’m not even sure if that’s where those types of rides belong!