TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Darien Lake (SFDL) Discussion Thread

The Six Flags chain typically makes all of their new ride announcements a little over a month from now, correct? August 30th?

Are there any rumors already about 2020 additions to Six Flags Darien Lake, or is there no real discussion on that topic yet?

Correct. Six Flags announcements are usually around the end of August.

And I don’t know much about the park, but I have a feeling you guys will get a DC themed area and a Bugs Bunny Boomtown. Just my prediction

From my memory (other's may know differently) a lot of Six Flags announcements just kind of happen at the end of August. A few of the parks tease attractions, but not to the extent that Cedar Fair tends to. My guess is we won't really hear anything about what's coming next year until August 30th

The Six Flags chain typically makes all of their new ride announcements a little over a month from now, correct? August 30th?

Are there any rumors already about 2020 additions to Six Flags Darien Lake, or is there no real discussion on that topic yet?

Correct. Six Flags announcements are usually around the end of August.

And I don’t know much about the park, but I have a feeling you guys will get a DC themed area and a Bugs Bunny Boomtown. Just my prediction

I have to agree about the DC area at least. Something I’ve been thinking since last season when they announced the Sky Screamer is that they could easily re-retheme RoS back into Superman/Bizarro and call it a day OR in a perfect world they could give Mind Eraser the SFNE treatment, call it Batman or something, and open a Joker 4D Coaster right next to it since it’s all by its lonesome over there and make it some sort of Gotham City theme over there (almost like the juxtaposition of Joker and Batman at SFGAm)

Honestly that 4D coaster thing is very likely just a pipe dream but after riding two of them and planning on a third next week, I have a feeling that one of those for this park would be the next big hit. Most folks around here aren’t going to travel 5 hours or so to get to the closest one and ride it, and it’s insane enough that people would probably eat the thing up.

I’ve also thought since we now have the fun time swing and the Larson looper (thanks for that one, premier) were only really missing a giant frisbee from the standard six flags line up. And if we were to get one that’s anything like Wonder Woman, again, it would be a fantastic addition to the park.

TL:DR, really anything they could add would be a nice addition. As long as it isn’t solely water park related like it was in 2016.

UPDATE: the same year SFNE redid Mind Eraser into The Riddler Revenge, they also opened Harley Quinn Spinsanity. Perhaps a retheme and a new ride isn’t that crazy of an idea after all!

^ Why not just make a DC area near ROS, retheme it back to Superman, and add a Discovery next to it/down the path next to it? It gives people more of a reason to go down there, because all that's down there is a food stand and ROS.

I don't expect it to happen, but it would be kind of cool to have the area by Mind Eraser be Gotham and the area by Ride of Steel be Metropolis and let the rest of the park be between those two, let them be separate as the cities are in the comics.

They've already themed an SLC to Batman in the past, and they could always say "It will beat you up, just like Batman beats up villans" (they may not want to advertise how painful it is though)

^I don't think Six Flags has the licensing to add DC characters to Darien Lake. I have heard that due to the re-acquisition it would be on a per-park basis and cost them extra to add back SFDL. I recall hearing that attendance doesn't justify that cost right now. I know I have no credible source for this, but it seems to be logical enough. Also it is corroborated by the fact that there are currently no rides in DL with DC and that they use the "Go fast pass" as opposed to the Flash Pass. If they had the rights to use the Flash, I cannot think of any logical reason they would have chosen not to. This could change in the future, but this seems to be how it is for the time being, apparently.

I totally agree that the area by ME could easily be a Gotham City area in the future. They would need to take some of the parking lot though.

I definitely see a frisbee/discovery type of ride near ROS and rethemed to Metropolis.

^I don't think Six Flags has the licensing to add DC characters to Darien Lake. I have heard that due to the re-acquisition it would be on a per-park basis and cost them extra to add back SFDL. I recall hearing that attendance doesn't justify that cost right now. I know I have no credible source for this, but it seems to be logical enough. Also it is corroborated by the fact that there are currently no rides in DL with DC and that they use the "Go fast pass" as opposed to the Flash Pass. If they had the rights to use the Flash, I cannot think of any logical reason they would have chosen not to. This could change in the future, but this seems to be how it is for the time being, apparently.

From what I understand they were waiting to see if attendance this year (2019) would change with the new passes / memberships before investing in licensing for the park.

If this is the case, based on how I’ve seen the park this summer compared to the last 5 years, I’d say this is on track to be one of the best attendance years for the park in quite some time. You simply can not beat the cost. A friend of mine pays about $40 a month for her entire family and they have as a result been visiting almost every weekend and sometimes during the week too and they never had passes to any park before because of the cost. Something tells me they are far from the only ones, and I’d assume that means good news for Darien Lake

Attendance has been doing better this month, but the place was really empty the first two. If anything I'd heard they were down or to about equal. A lighter concert schedule probably has a lot to do with it. PAC didn't have a lot going on until this later part of July. Expanding from ME into the parking lot would be a bit of a mess. 15k crowds usually fill the lots as it is. Unless they rip out Grizzly Run and use that space.

Attendance has been doing better this month, but the place was really empty the first two. If anything I'd heard they were down or to about equal. A lighter concert schedule probably has a lot to do with it. PAC didn't have a lot going on until this later part of July. Expanding from ME into the parking lot would be a bit of a mess. 15k crowds usually fill the lots as it is. Unless they rip out Grizzly Run and use that space.

I went at the end of June and everything was pretty much a walk on. If it's true that it's only busy when concerts are scheduled, Darien Lake needs to find a better way to draw people in.

As far as concerts go, I have noticed they seem to have less this year too. Dave Matthews didn't even have one there. They came to Toronto but not Darien for some reason

All the spring rain and cool weather probably put a big damper on it.

I hope they don't bring in any IPs. If they make Moose on the Loose some Loony Toons bullsh*t I'm never going back.

I really would be completely fine if they never bring back any IPs, I just don't expect that to be the case in the long term.

No matter what, leave Moose on the Loose alone

I hope they don't bring in any IPs. If they make Moose on the Loose some Loony Toons bullsh*t I'm never going back.

New for 2020: SuperMoose Ultimately on the Loose in the new DC Superfriends land

Don't some Six Flags parks leave one kids area alone while the other is themed to Looney Tunes? If so, we could still have Rowdy's Ridge, and Beaver Brother's Bay could be Looney Tunes themed.

Darien Lake could just pull a Great Escape and rename Rowdy's Ridge "Timber Town" as for the "Seaport" kiddie land, I don't know if Darien Lake would ever bring back the Looney Tunes regardless of this season attendance and membership sales.

Edited by DarienLaker

At this point in time I honestly don't know why any of the parks have anything themed to Loony Tunes. Looney Tunes is no longer a popular property IMO. Yes kids know Bugs Bunny, but not like they used to even 10 years ago.

At this point in time I honestly don't know why any of the parks have anything themed to Loony Tunes. Looney Tunes is no longer a popular property IMO. Yes kids know Bugs Bunny, but not like they used to even 10 years ago.

True, but I at least would like to see DC comics theming. That is still relevant, after all. Also... lowkey hoping they do add a Freespin coaster, but that's just me.