TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Darien Lake (SFDL) Discussion Thread

They could just take stuff from the fascination prize rack. They even have a little tent set up in there. Always cracks me up what stupid things they have in there, probably still there from the 90's.

That being said, Fascination is still awesome... but you shouldn't play for the prizes.

^ I don't know that it's them "refusing" to set them up. Don't you think its possible there are other issues that are more pressing to them than setting up some small camping equipment?

This was my first time experiencing Moose on the Loose. I thought the ride was perfect outside of my moose having laryngitis. It was cute and the audio I overheard from other vehicles put a smile on my face.

^ I don't know that it's them "refusing" to set them up. Don't you think its possible there are other issues that are more pressing to them than setting up some small camping equipment?

I do agree, they have bigger issues. I was just thinking, it seems like even the original props they used, could be set up in an extremely short period of time. I think props were the best thing about the ride when it first opened. I feel any average person could set them up.

Edited by Wagon127

Its really annoying, since the props needed to theme moose on the loose, probably cost less then a daily admission ticket to this park. Yet they still refuse to set them up.....

It’s more that the park truly does not care. Look around the place, so many things that are in bad shape that just scream laziness. Look at Sleighride. We thought it looked awful last year, but somehow it managed to get worse this year. Too lazy to put the roof on it, or the decor on the top, or even the ride’s sign back onto the queue house for god’s sake. Oh and don’t forget the missing piece of the wall on it and the missing lights over the tarp now too!

Moose on the Loose, same thing, something you’d think would just be a given gets left out because they truly don’t care as long as it doesn’t lose them money.

This was my first time experiencing Moose on the Loose. I thought the ride was perfect outside of my moose having laryngitis. It was cute and the audio I overheard from other vehicles put a smile on my face.

I made it back from my 3 year old daughter's first trip to the park (about a month ago) and for weeks she would pretend that she was riding Moose on the Loose when she sat on the recliner.

I'm just working on raising children who enjoy amusement parks so that I have a better excuse to go to them myself

Its really annoying, since the props needed to theme moose on the loose, probably cost less then a daily admission ticket to this park. Yet they still refuse to set them up.....

It’s more that the park truly does not care. Look around the place, so many things that are in bad shape that just scream laziness. Look at Sleighride. We thought it looked awful last year, but somehow it managed to get worse this year. Too lazy to put the roof on it, or the decor on the top, or even the ride’s sign back onto the queue house for god’s sake. Oh and don’t forget the missing piece of the wall on it and the missing lights over the tarp now too!

Moose on the Loose, same thing, something you’d think would just be a given gets left out because they truly don’t care as long as it doesn’t lose them money.

You have no idea why certain things arent done, youre just assuming.

You have no idea why certain things arent done, youre just assuming.

Think about it. I’ll use Sleighride as my example again. It was pretty clear and obvious last year that it needed just a bit of attention. Legit a tarp and a few screws and it would look right again. One year later and that still hasn’t happened. How on earth could that be anything other than pure laziness at this point. Even I could probably go up there right now and screw in a sign and some decorations, wouldn’t be that hard to do and not very time-consuming. The tarp might take a bit more work but come on, not that difficult stuff here.

If a ride is (theoretically) on the chopping block, then what’s the point in repairing it just to have it ripped out? It’s been rumored to be removed for a couple years now. I’m not surprised it’s in the current state, and I won’t be surprised when it disappears one day like Ranger did. And then just like Rolling Thunder did for Ranger, some other similar ride will open in the place of Sleigh Ride or some other ride that has recently departed (Twister, UFO, Raging Seas etc.)

As for the props at MotL I’m assuming we’re talking about a tent and some chairs. Do those props missing really make or break the experience? I’d also imagine the other stuff is still there like the little wooden cut outs and critters everywhere. It’s a children’s ride. And it’s a Six Flags park at this point so for a $20 tent and some chairs to not be displayed... is it really that big of a deal? At the end of the day probably not. Just be glad the ride still functions and has most of its theming.

I swear you’d think this park was falling apart and failing based on how most people treat the place. Those memberships are bringing in a TON of people especially with the hot days we’ve been having recently, and the past several laser shows I’ve been to have been more crowded on a “low attendance day” than I’ve seen in quite some time. There’s consistently been at least 200 people there each night I’ve been there if not plenty more where as last year and in years prior there’s been times where it’s been completely empty or very close to it. I’m really curious to see the attendance numbers for the park (if they’re released) because it seems like it’s doing pretty great so far this season.

I made it back from my 3 year old daughter's first trip to the park (about a month ago) and for weeks she would pretend that she was riding Moose on the Loose when she sat on the recliner.

I'm just working on raising children who enjoy amusement parks so that I have a better excuse to go to them myself

I can totally relate to this. I am the guardian for my 3 year old great nephew and take him to SFoG fairly often. We don't have anything like Moose on the Loose, but He loves the Monster Mansion, the kids coaster and his new favorite is the log flume (rode it 9 times in a row last weekend)

As for the props at MotL I’m assuming we’re talking about a tent and some chairs. Do those props missing really make or break the experience? I’d also imagine the other stuff is still there like the little wooden cut outs and critters everywhere. It’s a children’s ride. And it’s a Six Flags park at this point so for a $20 tent and some chairs to not be displayed... is it really that big of a deal? At the end of the day probably not. Just be glad the ride still functions and has most of its theming.

Just so you know I am just glad that it works, it was just me being curious if it was just something that was down the weekend I was there. As someone who has done plenty of camping I know what can happen to the small cheap dome tents if they get a good gust of wind, so I wasn't sure if it was just a temporary thing, or just something they're not bothering with this year, that's all.

^ from what I gather nothing is wrong with the Corn Popper, it’s just one of the first rides to close for staffing / low attendance

Not staffing. Drive gearbox broke.

Any update on Pirate

^ from what I gather nothing is wrong with the Corn Popper, it’s just one of the first rides to close for staffing / low attendance

Any update on Pirate

Overheard guest relations simply telling a guest who was complaining about rides down that Pirate will not open at all this season.

Any update on Pirate

Overheard guest relations simply telling a guest who was complaining about rides down that Pirate will not open at all this season.

This is what makes no sense about this place. Why on earth do they always have rides sitting SBNO an entire year before removing them? Look at Ranger, Twister, now Pirate. Clearly the thing’ll never run again and i’m sure they knew this before the season started. Why not just remove it before the season so it isn’t a giant eyesore in the middle of the lake.

Any update on Pirate

This is what makes no sense about this place. Why on earth do they always have rides sitting SBNO an entire year before removing them? Look at Ranger, Twister, now Pirate. Clearly the thing’ll never run again and i’m sure they knew this before the season started. Why not just remove it before the season so it isn’t a giant eyesore in the middle of the lake.

Some parts have SBNO rides for a very long time. I guess it really does take a few years to remove one. Marineland's Topple tower was sitting abandoned for years until they finally removed it this year. That's just one example. SF only took over the park last year so they probably didn't have time to figure out what they were doing with it. The best thing to do if they intend to remove a ride or close one all season would be to put a sign on it that says it is closed for the season and will not reopen during the season. We still don't know what they will do with it.

I would guess that it's coming out, but if they had any hope of potentially opening it this season keeping it in place makes sense. If they realized that it wasn't going to open after the season began (pure speculation on my part) leaving it standing until the end of the season makes sense.

Which is a bigger eyesore, a SBNO ride or construction equipment right on the lake ripping it out?

The answer will change person to person, but I believe ripping it out when the park is open would look way worse.

I believe ripping it out when the park is open would look way worse.

Agreed. Its not like they can put up a fence like they did with a certain slide complex or when they took out UFO. Removing water based footers and a station house isnt a simple dismantling. And they were a little busy around the corner to the upper left.

FYI I was at the park during a storm and watched Redhawk get struck, a ride op told me it is down because of that.

When a Skycoaster is struck it requires maintenance to redo Daily, Weekly, Monthly, and Yearly inspections. Which takes a while.

I would guess that it's coming out, but if they had any hope of potentially opening it this season keeping it in place makes sense. If they realized that it wasn't going to open after the season began (pure speculation on my part) leaving it standing until the end of the season makes sense.

Which is a bigger eyesore, a SBNO ride or construction equipment right on the lake ripping it out?

The answer will change person to person, but I believe ripping it out when the park is open would look way worse.

Ripping it out when the park is open is way worse, this means park guests have to listen to and deal with all the construction equipment not to mention look at it. Takes away from the park experience. I don't think most seasonal parks rip rides out while in season unless its an extreme emergency for this reason. Just let it sit, its doing no harm as long as its not left for years and years just sitting there.

As much as we all want more coasters, investing in a flat ride pack is honestly the way they should probably go, it would feel like a bunch of the park is updated with some newer flats.

My guess would be a flat ride package or a new/updated kiddie area

As much as we all want more coasters, investing in a flat ride pack is honestly the way they should probably go, it would feel like a bunch of the park is updated with some newer flats.

Kiddie area is in good shape

Kiddie area is in good shape

What about the balloons kiddie ride? I saw a recent picture on here that showed the balloons dismantled and my guess is that Darien Lake is going to take out said kiddie ride?