TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Darien Lake (SFDL) Discussion Thread

They could very easily pull off two trains, but if it came down the three I'm sure they could pull it off.

IMO its not worth it. One on the brakes, one in the house and one running the course, I think itd be stopping on the mid course brakes all the time. Or is there two final brake runs?

The final break run counts as two I think, there's the main break run and then there's the pre station break run. It should be able to stack, and the lift could be slowed down. So far I think two is resonable, but don't count all three out.

So are you just trying to say, that the current Viper operation crew can handle a 3 train operation? But you can clearly understand that the cost of setting that up, and maintaining it, is impossible to justify... But if this crew went back in time to 1982, you think they could pull it off?

I don't think it's *that* much more like, they already have the trains, they just stopped 2 train operation in 2018. So 3 is possible. Also I don't think crews could handle 1982 crowds, on opening years for the ride the line was to the sign.

That's my point, If the line was to the sign, that would be the only reason I could think of, to justify having a 3 train operation. I am not sure how much you think "That much more" is in your mind. But I actually would be upset if they threw 3 trains on this ride. There are so many other places the park could spend money on.

I don't think it's *that* much more like, they already have the trains, they just stopped 2 train operation in 2018. So 3 is possible. Also I don't think crews could handle 1982 crowds, on opening years for the ride the line was to the sign.

We had two train ops in 2018, eh? That’s news.

Viper hasn’t had three train operations since before Six Flags had them the first time around. Plus, looking at all the local arrow loopers, it’s incredibly common to run two trains maximum, especially with their popularity dwindling. Sure three train ops would be nice if the team is really that efficient, but I wouldn’t waste my time dwelling over a pipe dream when a coaster that could have three train ops (with only 8 riders per car mind you) still stacks with only two trains in service.

TL:DR I appreciate your enthusiasm and assumption that it’s not that hard to get all three trains back in service, but it’s just not going to happen. Two trains is much more likely, and if things with Mind Eraser work out, perhaps we’ll see Viper get back to multiple trains someday too. I’m not counting on it, but it’s possible.

If CP doesn't see the need to ever run 3 trains on Corkscrew again you'll never see Darian Lake run 3 trains.

I do think it's unacceptable for them not to run 2 trains however. Maybe SF will invest in some nice shiny new Vekoma trains for Viper. Then again.. lol

If anyone can prove that the Viper was running 3 trains SIMULTANEOUSLY on the main track at the same time in the past 20 years, no, let's make it 25 years, I will treat you to a delicious DQ blizzard. Yum!

They have had 3 trains and have swapped them out from day to day, but actually running 3 is a whole different story.

One of the biggest issues that shows just how unfortunately the ride has degraded is the Holiday World trains from the Voyage and how quickly they fell into disrepair. I don’t think it took much more than one season before the second train (the B train) was cannibalized for parts. And as of this year they’ve just relabeled the train so it appears to be one of a set, which it no longer is.

I don't know where you guys get this notion that just because they switch to one train they sell the extras or totally strip them to an irreparable state (heck, they already get stripped to bare frames each year). Predator still has two trains, they just tend to alternate building one during the season while one is in operation. Viper technically has 3 trains on the property, but only two have run for the last 15 years or so as one actually is unusable. Moto still has both of its trains also getting rotated annually. I wouldn't be surprised if they still have the old RoS trains stashed; Predator's old style trains were kicking around for a while, too.

One of the biggest issues that shows just how unfortunately the ride has degraded is the Holiday World trains from the Voyage and how quickly they fell into disrepair. I don’t think it took much more than one season before the second train (the B train) was cannibalized for parts. And as of this year they’ve just relabeled the train so it appears to be one of a set, which it no longer is.

I don't know where you guys get this notion that just because they switch to one train they sell the extras or totally strip them to an irreparable state (heck, they already get stripped to bare frames each year). Predator still has two trains, they just tend to alternate building one during the season while one is in operation. Viper technically has 3 trains on the property, but only two have run for the last 15 years or so as one actually is unusable. Moto still has both of its trains also getting rotated annually. I wouldn't be surprised if they still have the old RoS trains stashed; Predator's old style trains were kicking around for a while, too.

If anyone can prove that the Viper was running 3 trains SIMULTANEOUSLY on the main track at the same time in the past 20 years, no, let's make it 25 years, I will treat you to a delicious DQ blizzard. Yum!

They have had 3 trains and have swapped them out from day to day, but actually running 3 is a whole different story.

That to me is something interesting for sure I can’t remember in the past 11 years ever seeing the yellow train run... it’s always been the blue and red trains (which are now blue and orange respectively), and of course being the little nerd I was back then I was always hoping to see the yellow train because they’d always advertise with it on the park maps and in commercials. I remember two train operations with the old paint job, maybe they ran two trains for a year when they got the wraps? Other than that I’m pretty sure it’s been single train operations for viper consistently. One year they had the second train on the transfer track for a month and never actually put it on the main track which was quite disappointing if I remember correctly...

081DA57F-87F8-410D-9533-34151132CF84.thumb.png.edfb3da33dc3fc58a4d4ab7ec1f00c64.png

Looks like it was September 2015 based on this photo I found in my library. See what I mean? I’m a dork.

0CBD7D7B-28B0-41D8-B3E2-0AE7786BF8DD.thumb.png.745d72869a22b6c42fe4db2e86726ceb.png

Shame too because it looks like they really could’ve put that second train to some good use. Has it really already been 4 years of single train operations? Yeesh!

First and foremost I never said anything about them selling the old trains.

Second:

- Mind Eraser in its current state. Period.

- Motocoaster was a prototype. When things went bad they took the second train out of service to repair the first one. I remember it coming up a whole bunch on TPR when it happened.

- Viper - when’s the last time you saw the yellow train? You’re gonna tell me that it’s ready to go when it hasn’t seen the light of day in at least 10 years?

- Ride of Steel - the old trains can’t be used anymore because the new one has a whole different safety system. Plus from what I understand it’s more lightweight making it even more impossible to run a new and old train. With that logic anyway the coaster is only designed to have 2 trains maximum but “I’m sure” they have an efficient enough crew to handle three, eh?

- Predator - the red and black trains have been out of commission since what? 2012? Even if they are still in the maintenance bays I’m sure it’s a lot cheaper to strip those for parts than it would be to refurb them with PTC. Plus, they acquired USED TRAINS for this ride instead of new ones. Was that just for funzies too or am I missing something here?

Tantrum - no one can say here for sure why they purchased the ride with three trains but only run two however I’d personally want to give the park the benefit of the doubt and say they did some efficiency testing and like Dragster (which has 6 trains, but more efficiently operates with 5), discovered the ride operates better with 2 trains instead of 3.

Boomerang - we just may never know.

TL:DR Predator only has one train that is fully put together. We have proof of them taking the second train apart to maintain the first. Viper has two OPERABLE trains, none of us are sure why they’re only using one of them. Ride of Steel would need a new train with the same set up as the train they just purchased a few years ago, though something tells me it wouldn’t be as easy as “buy another train 5 years later, throw it on the track and press go” so that one may be a little more complicated.

The park has a track record of using parts from an out of service train or several trains to keep their rides running. I’m sure I have more proof in pictures if I need it but at this point is it really that necessary? Mind Eraser is running a Franken-train, Viper last year had to have one of the Fiberglass bodies replaced on a car due to some damage, and they used the blue train for parts (albeit temporarily) and predator has had whole cars swapped on its trains back before they renumbered the cars (when it was much easier to notice)

Thank you for coming to my ted talk. I’ll be here all week.

You didn't specifically but in general it comes up that they need to 'buy' a second train from somewhere like the comment around ME's that got put out in sight must be from another park. The only one they would need to purchase is RoS which at $1 mil is why they haven't been in a hurry.

Predator has two blue trains which replaced the red ones like a decade ago. But there are two they have been alternating between. They are heavier so they needed to add an extra pre-station brake a few years ago to reliably have the capability to run both simultaneously.

Viper yellow train is in the back of the barn by PAC parking.

Tantrum is only running two trains because with the seatbelts they had added the load/unload times aren't fast enough to justify it.

Not saying they don't take parts from one train to fix another, but it doesn't render it never to be run again doing so. Again, they get near entirely dismantled annually anyways.

^ For me, the idea of purchasing new trains for the Mind Eraser comes specifically from the fact that there are newer designed trains with more comfortable restraints. It would be nice to have an inverted coaster that isn’t just downright terrible at the park.

Hey everyone, looking to make our first visit to Darien Lake on the Sunday of Labor Day weekend. We have friends that live in the area and come 2-3 times a year but haven't stopped at Darien Lake before now. A couple of quick questions...

- How are the typical crowds on the Sunday before Labor Day? Our "home park" is Kings Island and they're fairly light, but obviously I'm not sure about DL.

- Does DL offer any sort of "fast pass" for rides?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Is Shipwreck Falls open?

Yes and there is finally water flowing down the hill again!

Also another thing to note, Moto was down all day Seems to be having that annual few weeks out of service with launch system issues thing again.

......and of course Pirate was closed