TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Darien Lake (SFDL) Discussion Thread

^ I used to love the old vibe that Fright Fest had leading up to the event. Like how they had the Fright Night Field Trip busses scattered throughout the park playing the random Halloween sounds and adding to the atmosphere in late August. I wonder if they’ll do anything similar to that in the weeks leading up to the event this year - but I’m not gonna be holding out for anything. Only time will tell what they accomplish this time around

To everyone who typically posts here, what are your favorite defunct Six Flags Darien Lake / Darien Lake rides?

I'll start by saying that my pick is a tie between UFO and Twister.

RANGER!!!!

Anyone who knows me in real life would probably automatically know who I am; from just that.

^ I used to love the old vibe that Fright Fest had leading up to the event. Like how they had the Fright Night Field Trip busses scattered throughout the park playing the random Halloween sounds and adding to the atmosphere in late August. I wonder if they’ll do anything similar to that in the weeks leading up to the event this year - but I’m not gonna be holding out for anything. Only time will tell what they accomplish this time around

There were a few displays last year

^ this is true. However I was referring to the nostalgia of the Fright Night Field Trip busses specifically. I don’t believe there was any large haunt experience like that last year and also as a result no large set pieces scattered throughout the park to advertise it.

There was signage in the areas that had scare zones and mazes but not much else. And that’s fine because they only had 3 months and what I’d assume was a pretty limited budget to get that event up and running. Now that they’ll have a full year, I’m hopeful (and I know others are too) that this year’s Fright Fest will be better and hopefully continue to improve.

Still no word on Holiday in the Park, but I’d assume if that were to be a thing, we’d find out in August with all the other new stuff Six Flags announces all at once.

To everyone who typically posts here, what are your favorite defunct Six Flags Darien Lake / Darien Lake rides?

Since most of my favorite rides are still at Darien Lake like Viper, Scrambler, Superman, and Tornado, I do some favorite Darien Lake rides that are gone as well. The defunct rides that I've rode will be in bold lettering.

* Raging Seas

* 'Cuda Falls

* Floodgate Falls

* Rainbow Mountain (Cuda's predecessor)

* Cascade Canyon

* Crazy Quilt

* UFO

* Ranger

* Nightmare at Phantom Cave.

Has anybody been on SkyScreamer yet? Just wondering how long the wait time typically is, given it’s brand new.

I had to wait 2 cycles, but it was a Sunday evening so the park crowd was on the downturn.

^ though I hope that it was just because it was opening day - I was there May 18 and the entire queue house was full. I’m not sure how long of a wait that equates to but that’s something rarely seen at Darien Lake at more than Ride of Steel so I’d say the attraction was pretty successful

I havent been on it in a long time because my kids arent tall enough, but have sections of ME track spine always been faded to white/steel or are they actually prepping it for paint?

have sections of ME track spine always been faded to white/steel or are they actually prepping it for paint?

It’s been like that for a few years now. They sandblasted the track in 2016 I believe in preparation for painting, but then, in true Darien Lake fashion...never actually got painted.

Still yet to be open this season: Grizzly Run, Pirate, Shipwreck Falls, Corn Popper and Blast Off. Big Kahuna wasnt open today but there was water in the pool so I dont know if it was open earlier this weekend. With Corn Popper not on the closed rides list up front, I wonder if its next to go.

^ cool. Do you have to state the ride name ahead of time or can you use as you please? Also... expiration date on the slip?

I only ask because at Great Escape it was the same thing... multiple people, it was good the entire season, and no need to state what you were going on in advance. Just wondering if it's the same, I didn't even bother picking up the skips on opening day but it would be nice to know how it works

Exactly like Great Escapes. Good for as total of 4 people. Good all season. Any ride.

^ cool. Do you have to state the ride name ahead of time or can you use as you please? Also... expiration date on the slip?

I only ask because at Great Escape it was the same thing... multiple people, it was good the entire season, and no need to state what you were going on in advance. Just wondering if it's the same, I didn't even bother picking up the skips on opening day but it would be nice to know how it works

^ I saw the ride's cycle went up and down at least twice. I never made it back there today, but the ride looked good for the skyline.

Also I never realized this park had a Fascination parlor so that was an exciting find today.