TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Darien Lake (SFDL) Discussion Thread

^ they specifically played music on the main entryway and through the area leading to viper I believe, they have an integrated sound system but it’s been there for a while unfortunately and you can tell there’s plenty of speakers in disrepair. The newest addition to the sound system was from what I remember the 2013 boardwalk refresh. That area specifically played themed music from the 1950s where as the other areas of the park that had music playing was just a variety of songs - which was nice. They would also play preshow music out in front of the Grand Theatre 15 minutes before a show began to let folks know the show was about to begin. I believe last year they also had someone with a microphone out there? I could be wrong, I usually get into the theatre very shortly after the doors open.

Once ignite the night kicks off too that helps add to the atmosphere because they start playing music an hour before the show starts. Hopefully they mix up the playlist since they used the same one for the past three years. I thought it was funny that the announcer kept saying it was a “perfect time to upgrade your season pass with the 2016 meal plan” in 2017 and 2018. It’s a little thing but it would be nice to hear some new music before the show. Though I’ll take a 4 year old playlist over the old techno stuff they used to play before LaserBlast.

If they indeed start adding music into the stations I’d be very very happy! If you’re waiting for that long you might as well be at least somewhat entertained!

It keeps getting mentioned that Frontier City is getting a lot of improvements this year, but that doesn't necessarily mean that Darien Lake is going to get the same treatment. We shall see.

If you look around you will see quite a bit. Repainting at the tolls booths and front gate, the remodeled membership buildings, some roads within the park property being repaved... Six Flags is definitely spending money to bring the parks up to par.

Off-topic from the park, Live Nation is also working on improving the amphitheater. They posted recently that they are upgrading the screens.

^ With Blast Off being in the Boardwalk area of the park I would highly doubt that change would occur. Looney Toons if anything would take over Rowdy’s Ridge and Beaver Brothers Bay. Rowdy’s Ridge id assume is less likely but I wouldn’t be surprised if it happened eventually. The Mind Eraser bit? I’d say it’s more likely. Best case scenario they repaint the thing yellow and black and then acquire two of the new style trains that exist on T3 in Kentucky Kingdom and Riddler’s Revenge at SFNE. They can call it new and move on with their lives plus it would help bring a coaster that was half repainted back to life which is always nice. I’ve also said in the past I wouldn’t be surprised if something similar happened to RoS. Classify it as “new” change its colors for Bizarro or refresh for Superman and immediately there’s a new thing to market for the new season.

As much as I’d love for an actual “new ride”, I would not be upset if it became fixing up one of the parks existing attractions and helping with the one-train issue

Might I just ask, is Six Flags Great Adventure going to be the last Six Flags park to have a Huss Top Spin ride?

My guess is that the Great Adventure Twister will run until they run out of free spare parts from the other Top Spins in the chain and then they'll get rid of that one too.

Ummmmm why did Six Flags put Twister on the new website??

I'll just quote an old post...

I don't know the exact corporate structure but it's evident that there's no communication whatsoever between the web team and anyone else at the company. That's been evident for years. Everything posted (or not posted: they closed like 8 hours early on Saturday but you probably didn't know that because they didn't post it anywhere) on any Six Flags website or social media page should be taken with a grain of salt. Last year they wrote some big write-up in a web post / press release about how you'd be overcome with Holiday Magic or whatever while riding the drop tower during Holiday in the Park while park employees actually at the park were busy winterizing it and turning it into a giant Christmas tree with absolutely no intention of running it for the event whatsoever.

Enthusiasts need to stop operating under the assumption that Six Flags parks know or care what's on the website because they should know better by now. I know someone is reading this and preparing to write some response about why they should care and how it's bullsh*t that they don't care about the internet and social media in 2019 and I mean... yeah... but they don't, so deal with it.

This past Friday and Saturday, I ventured down to Six Flags Darien Lake to process my membership. I must admit that the level of service and operations has improved since my first and only visit in August 2017 when Premier Parks was still operating the park. With Six Flags now operating the park once again, the staff appear to be friendlier, more helpful, and take greater pride in their jobs than ever before, compared to when I had first visited nearly two years ago. Also, the loading and dispatching of rides seemed to be quicker and more efficient than from what I recall in the past, despite the roller coasters currently only having one train each (except for Tantrum which operates with two eight-passenger cars).

It was also nice to see improvements around the park such as freshly painted sign posts and new signs (as some others here have mentioned), some re-tracking taking place on the Predator, the bridge for Shipwreck Falls getting repaired, and the Blast off receiving some needed maintenance. Also, the new-for-2019 Six Flags SkyScreamer looked absolutely amazing standing 240 feet tall! It will sure to be a hit when it opens for the season next weekend!

While there were some issues with redeeming discounts with my membership at some gift shop and food locations on Friday, the issues seemed to have been mostly resolved by Saturday. I am quite certain that the new POS system will be free of issues within the near future.

I had a fun time this weekend at Six Flags Darien Lake and look forward to going back again sometime this summer!

[twitter]w[/twitter]

I doubt this will ever happen, but when/if Darien Lake gets Looney Tunes and DC theming back, It would be cool if they rethemed Mind Eraser to “Batman: The Ride” and Blast Off to “Shazam!”.

I could easily see SF bringing back the DC and Looney Tunes characters, but here is how I see it. Mind Eraser turns into something with The Riddler and they put in a new S&S free spin near it to create a Gotham City portion of the park. The current Beaver Brothers Bay turns back to Looney Tunes Seaport. ROS turns back into S:ROS and they add a frisbee type ride themed to Woner Woman creating a DC Universe section of the park.

The only way Blast Off gets rethemed is to fit better with the Boardwalk theme

So after all the negative reviews of Darien Lake this past weekend, I decided to take a trip out to see for myself how bad it could possibly be. I also was happy to support Give Kids the World Village at the first ever Coasting For Kids event held at Six Flags Darien Lake. Let me start by saying I'm not at all surprised at how exaggerated the poor reviews were of the park, as it was no where near as bad as I've seen people saying it has been. If you've been to Darien Lake before and you've spent some time getting to know how the park functions like I have for years now, you'd agree that things went pretty well for this weekend and the park is in pretty good shape.

If you're walking into this park for the first time and expecting Magic Kingdom level quality and perfect operations immediately then of course you're going to be upset. I don't expect people to be 100% satisfied with one train operations or some chipped blacktop, but at the end of the day, I was just happy to get back into the park, seeing a new ride looming over all the others, and enjoying the coasters.

Ride of Steel's operators were actually getting trains out pretty quickly aside from the occasional ejection from the ride which isn't the operators fault since the entire train needs to be reset if one guest has to get off... plus the gentleman on the PA system in the station was energetic and fun which I have seen at the park before, but not at RoS up until this point. Boomerang is indeed running better with those new wheels. Its a slight change but its certainly appreciated. Mind Eraser was even running better with the Franken-Train which I also enjoyed. We still have two train ops on Tantrum, no surprise there (I hope), and MotoCoaster was open today leaving only Predator closed. The entire duration of the time I was at the park today all of the coasters that were able to be running, were running. Blast off indeed is getting work done to it and I'm glad to see that instead of it just being closed for the sake of it being closed. Crazy to think Darien Lake keeps rides closed to make improvements to them, isn't it? And yes, I'm being sarcastic with that last one.

On to some pictures and more unnecessary commentary from yours truly!

Thank you so much for coming out and supporting Give Kids The World!

I could easily see SF bringing back the DC and Looney Tunes characters, but here is how I see it. Mind Eraser turns into something with The Riddler and they put in a new S&S free spin near it to create a Gotham City portion of the park. The current Beaver Brothers Bay turns back to Looney Tunes Seaport. ROS turns back into S:ROS and they add a frisbee type ride themed to Woner Woman creating a DC Universe section of the park.

This does seem rather realistic. I am honestly hoping this is what they go with. As much as I would like an RMC Raptor to come to Six Flags Darien Lake, maybe that is quite unrealistic. As I have stated multiple times earlier on this thread, I'm just curious to see how long it takes for Six Flags Darien Lake to get an S&S Freespin.